Vs: Vs: Vs: JOHANNA, HILFE HILFE HILFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old July 14th 03, 08:01 PM
Pirjo Ilvesvuori

Default Vs: Vs: Vs: JOHANNA, HILFE HILFE HILFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well..now to my next question. Tell me the technique you did
it. Did you just knit 2 stitches together 4 times (I tried
that in both ends, in the end closer to me I knitted tbl and
in the other end I knitted tfl, but...I afraid it is not
enough or something) or how? I hope you get the point...I am
a bit out of this mess but at least I try to get in.
Best: Pirjo
NoraBalcer kirjoitti
Pirjo,

Then you have to decrease 8 at the beginning and end of

the row. Now when I
knit a sweater and decrease for an armhole, I always did

it 8 at the beginning
of the knit row and 8 at the beginning of the purl row,

not on the same row.

Hugs,

Aunt Nora

Old July 14th 03, 08:17 PM
NoraBalcer

Pirjo,

No, that is not how I learned to decrease. I first knit two stitches, then I
put the first one over the other one on the needle, knit one more and keep
repeating until I have done 8 stitches. I do the same when I do the purl row.
Hey,SlinkyToy come on and give me some help explaining this to Pirjo, I don't
want to confuse her.

Hugs,

Nora
Old July 14th 03, 08:46 PM
SlinkyToy

Ok, if Pirjo is correct in the translation, she's supposed to bind off 8
stitches at the beginning of each of the next two rows. Sounds like
underarm shaping. I have a bad time binding off the correct number of
stitches, so I figure out how many I *should* have once I'm finished with
the binding off, then count from the center out in each direction and stick
in markers of some sort. Then, I can bind off the stitches outside the
markers and (usually) end up with the correct number of stitches.

So, Pirjo starts with 72 and makes some ribbing.
Then she increases evenly across, doing k4, inc, *k8, inc* end k4 (80 sts
total)
Then she knits plain for a while (I guess)
Now she needs to do some armhole shaping, to wit: decrease (bind off) 8
stitches at the beginning of the next two rows.

So after the first decrease row she's got 72 live stitches
After the second decrease row she's got 64 live stitches

The way Nora described binding off is the method I usually use. Knit a
stitch, knit the next stitch, pass the first stitch over the second and off
the needle - one stitch bound off.

HTH

Old July 15th 03, 09:38 AM
Johanna Koski

Well..now to my next question. Tell me the technique you did
it. Did you just knit 2 stitches together 4 times (I tried
that in both ends, in the end closer to me I knitted tbl and
in the other end I knitted tfl, but...I afraid it is not
enough or something) or how? I hope you get the point...I am
a bit out of this mess but at least I try to get in.

If you have to decrease only 1 stitch per row, *then* (and only then)
you knit 2 stitches together. All the other times, when you have to
get rid of several stitches, 2 or 8 or whatever, you just bind them
off. Nora explained it well.

Johanna

--
Johanna Koski