Machine Applique Advice

Old July 10th 03, 09:38 PM
Monique Reed

Default Machine Applique Advice

You may find that the homespuns just don't have a high-enough thread
count to not fray when manipulating edges. You are better off trying
a fusible applique (no turn under) with some sort of stitch over the
edge.

Monique

KD wrote:

I need some help with the plaids and stripes quilt that I mentioned I am
working on. The fabric that I am using is a woven instead of flat. I think
it was called a homespun. I started out with needle turn applique to attach
the flower to the the block but with the number of flowers I am looking at I
decided to try a satin stitch on my sewing machine. I have only done one
for practice and overall I was happy with the outcome. In doing the needle
turn applique, I found that my fabric was prone to unraveling especially in
the corners between my petals. I though it would be best to still turn the
edge of the fabric under when doing the machine applique to hopefully make
the applique hold up better to wear and tear. I basted the edge down around
my freezer paper before sewing. I have some pointed areas around the petals
where the fabric folded out from under the applique. What I guess I am
really asking here is if there is an easier way to do the machine appliques
so that the raw edges are folded under and also for any hints or tips this
group may have. I have only done applique in my beginner quilting class a
few months ago and that was by hand, I have never done machine applique.

Thanks!
Kelly

Old July 10th 03, 10:32 PM
Patti

Hullo Kelly
If you are using a fabric which unravels a lot, for appliqué, it might
be a good idea for you to do a double-layer appliqué (I don't know its
'proper' name) - Anyone?
What you do is this: cut out your shape with a usual seam allowance in
your chosen fabric, then cut another of the same shape, either in the
same fabric or a finer one - in this case with homespun a finer one like
muslin would probably be better. With right sides together sew the
shapes together with usual seam allowance. Then carefully cut a slit in
the reverse side, turn the whole thing through the slit, smooth out and
press. You then have no raw edges to worry about. The only raw edge is
well underneath and will never be a problem. You can then hand or
machine appliqué whichever is your preference. You might think that the
double thickness would look 'lumpy', but it really just looks three
dimensional. Try it. If you haven't done much appliqué, I think you
will like it.
I have done a large appliqué with flowers and leaves, where each petal
of every flower was done separately. I used this method and it worked
wonderfully. I hate raw edges, so I love the method!! I also love
needle-turn appliqué, but not with a fabric which frays easily g
..
In article q7jPa.24472$OZ2.4202@rwcrnsc54, KD
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 10th 03, 11:38 PM
KD

Are homespuns not a good fabric to work with for a quilt? I had planned on
making this a throw size for the living area. I fell in love with the
combination of prints that I found but would hate to spend all the time that
this quilt will take i it will not hold up. Thanks for your help!

Kelly

Old July 11th 03, 01:44 AM
Donna in Idaho

I think homespuns are fine for a quilt. Just loosely woven for applique
without really securing the edges.

--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
newsVlPa.25757$OZ2.4294@rwcrnsc54...

Old July 11th 03, 04:18 AM
KD

Oh...that sounds like a great idea, I even have some muslin here so I can
try it tonight - Thanks so much for everyone's wonderful feedback. I will
let you know how it goes.

Kelly

.

Old July 11th 03, 04:50 AM
nzl*

thats how i do it too, Donna.
its so lightweight ya cant eve tell its there but sure does give a nice
clean edge to work with making it look just like regular needleturn and not
the extra bulk that i think muslin would give.
its cheap as chips too, only $1.20 a metre in nz, gotta be giving it away in
usa, lol.
i do find it works better on shapes that only have outer points/curves.
those inner ones like the top centre of a heart can be a real bitch to work
like this.
i love my leaves this way though. i can make a gazillion of those and so
quick too.
jeanne*
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....

"Donna in Idaho" wrote ...
| Patti, you can do what you're describing using a light weight sew-in
| interfacing also. Doesn't add much weight, but does give good edges.
I've
| used that method several times.
| --
| Donna in Idaho!
| Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator
| Website: http://donnakwilts.tripod.com/
|
| The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!
|
| "Patti" wrote ...
| Hullo Kelly
| If you are using a fabric which unravels a lot, for appliqué, it might
| be a good idea for you to do a double-layer appliqué (I don't know its
| 'proper' name) - Anyone?
| What you do is this: cut out your shape with a usual seam allowance in
| your chosen fabric, then cut another of the same shape, either in the
| same fabric or a finer one - in this case with homespun a finer one like
| muslin would probably be better. With right sides together sew the
| shapes together with usual seam allowance. Then carefully cut a slit in
| the reverse side, turn the whole thing through the slit, smooth out and
| press. You then have no raw edges to worry about. The only raw edge is
| well underneath and will never be a problem. You can then hand or
| machine appliqué whichever is your preference. You might think that the
| double thickness would look 'lumpy', but it really just looks three
| dimensional. Try it. If you haven't done much appliqué, I think you
| will like it.
| I have done a large appliqué with flowers and leaves, where each petal
| of every flower was done separately. I used this method and it worked
| wonderfully. I hate raw edges, so I love the method!! I also love
| needle-turn appliqué, but not with a fabric which frays easily g
| .
| Best Regards
| pat on the hill

KD writes
| I need some help with the plaids and stripes quilt that I mentioned I
am
| working on. The fabric that I am using is a woven instead of flat. I
| think it was called a homespun. I started out with needle turn applique
| attach the flower to the the block but with the number of flowers I am
looking
| at decided to try a satin stitch on my sewing machine. I have only done
one
| for practice and overall I was happy with the outcome. In doing the
| needleturn applique, I found that my fabric was prone to unraveling
especially
| in the corners between my petals. I though it would be best to still turn
| the edge of the fabric under when doing the machine applique to hopefully
| make the applique hold up better to wear and tear. I basted the edge down
| around my freezer paper before sewing. I have some pointed areas around
the petals where the fabric folded out from under the applique. What I
guess I am really asking here is if there is an easier way to do the machine
| appliques so that the raw edges are folded under and also for any hints or
tips this group may have. I have only done applique in my beginner quilting
class a few months ago and that was by hand, I have never done machine
applique.

| Thanks!
| Kelly

---

Old July 12th 03, 08:58 AM
D&D

"KD" wrote in message

In doing the needle
turn applique, I found that my fabric was prone to unraveling especially

in
the corners between my petals.
Kelly

When I did an applique class a couple of years ago, one hint given was to
dip a pin into fray stopper and apply this to the corners to stop the
unraveling ( such as in your petal corners).

HTH

Dee in Oz

Old July 12th 03, 09:58 PM
taria

but its quicker!
Taria

Joan8904 wrote:

I understand that needle turn applique, done well, is slow and exacting. So,
for a change, I decided to 'play' with a pattern for a tote bag, using fusibles
and satin stitching. Let me tell you, getting that perfect isn't easy either!

joan
joan o'reilly
New 311 Album--EVOLVER--July 22nd
www.311.com

--
Please visit my web page at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/taria/index.htm

See my Siberian Cat, Lilly, at:
http://home1.gte.net/res0yk6g/lillypage/lillycat.htm

HOW RUBBER STAMPS ARE MADE & how i made $$$ - I AM SELLING MY MACHINE AND METAL SHEETS Nintendo DS 4 Sale Rubberstamps 3 November 28th 04 12:28 PM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM
Ah-ha moment on Pfaff and machine applique Loren in Seattle Quilting 15 July 13th 03 04:01 PM