OT Turkey Alert!

Old November 24th 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default OT Turkey Alert!

Even better, since DH won't eat the white part of a turkey, is a boned
and rolled turkey thigh. Just right for the 2 of us. And it can be
unrolled, gussied up with stuffing, and re-rolled back into its tidy
little net.

Back in the day, one Thanksgiving when I had more people to cook for,
I actually boned the turkey and stuffed it with chicken, among other
things. (It was a small bird.) Works great, not hard to do, assuming
the bird is thawed of course. Just takes a little patience and a sharp
knife.
Roberta in D

On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:58:07 -0600, "Polly Esther"
wrote:

It is time to move your frozen turkey from the freezer to the refrigerator.
If you 'are' a turkey, this is a good time to disappear. It takes a long
time for a Big Bird to thaw. The quick way of putting the frozen bird in a
sink of cold water and constantly changing the water is a pain. Start early
if you can and simply move the turkey to the refrigerator to slowly thaw.
I'm trying a new turkey production this year. Carving a turkey looks
good in old movies but there are not any carving artists in our family.
I've bought boned turkey breasts and hope to get away with an easier time of
it. Sounds good, don't you think? Polly

Old November 24th 08, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ginger in CA

I haven't seen any boned turkey breasts that aren't exhorbitant priced
out here. Last week I bought a dozen eggs and they guy next to me
agreed either they must be getting used as currency in other parts of
this country, they are so dear, or the stores wants your first born
for some eggs!

Ginger in CA

Old November 24th 08, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

My son often cooks turkey breast when he doesn't have time to deal
with the carcass. Yesterday he planned to make rolled turkey breast
for his friends. This is just a simple way of using the boned turkey
breast and rolling the stuffing inside. The breast had been in the
refrigerator for two days. He took it out about 3:00 p.m. and
discovered the center was still frozen. After an hour in water there
was still a little ice in the center. Forget rolling it. He put the
stuffing in the bottom of the pan and cooked the turkey spread flat on
top. Worked well and took much less cooking time. Wasn't as pretty as
a rolled turkey but taste was great. Only problem with boned turkey
breast is no turkey soup the following week.

Susan

Old November 24th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:

....snipped.....
I'm trying a new turkey production this year. Carving a turkey looks
good in old movies but there are not any carving artists in our family.
I've bought boned turkey breasts and hope to get away with an easier time of
it. Sounds good, don't you think? Polly

Oh Dear -- I understand your dilemma but, Polly, that's NOT a
turkey! It's a turkey "roll" ;*-{. DH & I and another couple will be
eating out for the holiday. We don't have any family here so we either
take turns making dinner or eating out. For me, if a turkey is less
than 20#, it's more like a big chicken and not worth the bother -- LOL!
I get my "turkey cooking" fix by cooking the bird with stuffing and
making the gravy for the turkey potluck at DH's work. This is good
because I don't have to worry about all the other stuff involved in
making a traditional Thanksgiving meal.
As for carving the bird, we have never done it at the dinner table
-- too much trouble. It's not really difficult *IF* someone has shown
you what to do. Does anyone know of a site online that shows the proper
procedure for carving a large bird??? I'll have to ask DD -- she might
know of something online. CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old November 24th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

For those of us who love their dogs- turkey will give dogs terrible
diarrhea. Be careful when sharing scraps and leftovers with the furry
children in your family!

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

"Dreamweaver" wrote in message
LOL!!! You reminded me of the time my mom cooked a 25 lb turkey for 4 of
us! Lots of leftovers...right?...see this one coming?......Brother took
platter out next day to make a sandwich, left it on the counter, and yep,
our Irish Setter had the best and worst Thanksgiving of her life!!!! She
was miserable after eating about 22 lbs of turkey but boy was she
happy!!!!!

That poor baby!
Dreamweaver (she was miserable for days and the post clean up wasn't
exactly enjoyable either!!!!)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
Yeah, that's kind of sad about no drumsticks - and no wishbone. I
remember the time my sister tried the method where you put the bird in a
paper bag and set it to cook very slowly overnight. They were blasted
out of bed by the smoke alarms. And the time she put her turkey in a
sink full of cold water to thaw - forgetting that their lab could easily
remove anything at counter height that was appealing. He did. Labradors
are sweet and loyal dogs but they are tall. You'd think she would have
noticed. Polly

"Dreamweaver" wrote in message
But Mz. Polly!! How can there be a fight over who gets the drumsticks
if'n there ain't no drumsticks? BG Does sound a whole lot easier
though!

My mamma used to cook that bird until it fell off the bone, and yet it
was always moist and yummy and the gravy was heavenly, just heavenly!!!

Dreamweaver, who loves the dark meat!!!!

Old November 24th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Polly Esther wrote:

,,,snipped.... I remember
the time my sister tried the method where you put the bird in a paper bag
and set it to cook very slowly overnight. They were blasted out of bed by
the smoke alarms. ....snipped....

I wonder what happened?!?!? What type of bag did your sister use?
My family has cooked the turkey in brown paper grocery bags since my
Granny's time and she came to this country in the late 1890's! The bags
don't burn unless they are exposed to flame -- heat won't make them
burn. The turkey I make for DH's work potluck is slow cooked overnight
because the bird has to be ready by about 11:00AM and I'm certainly not
getting up at 0dark:30 to put a bird in the oven!! CiaoMeow ^;;^

Old November 24th 08, 03:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Here are a few links:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2710_carve-turkey.html

http://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to/c...h= 1&esrc=335

http://www.cooks.com/rec/story/69/

Gobble....Gobble...

--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kathryn Groves

"Tia Mary" wrote in message

....snipped.....

Old November 24th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
I.E.Z.

"Kate T." wrote in message
Aw come on you two, don't you know you can now get the legs seperately
packaged and at Wally World.

Kate T.

Yes! This is what I have done for the past two years. Buy two frozen
Honeysuckle turkey breast portions at Sam's Club and then get turkey thighs
in packages at Wegman's. So much easier and faster and neater. And there
is dark meat for some of us and plenty of white meat for dinner time and
later (sandwiches - yum!)

Iris (who, having lost 45 lbs this past year, must be careful not to gain it
all back this weekend!)

Old November 24th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Patti wrote:

We use these exclusively - have done for years!!
I can't stand the sight of a carcass! Ugh/shudder!! And I don't have
to touch the beast g (Sorry you natural carnivores!).
They are delicious and the leftovers are dealt with in one further meal.
Simply cannot be better.
.

I get off very easily these days, since the DDs host the holiday feasts
now. However, DH loves turkey, so he smokes (yum!) a turkey for us. The
carcass may not look pretty, but it does make wonderful soup -- just let
it cook in the crockpot for about 24 hours (seriously!), and it comes
out a rich brown with lots of flavor, perfect for a chilly day.

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old November 24th 08, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews Moore

Congratulation on losing 45 pounds this past year. I was watching my weight
and lost 40 pounds. Hooray for us!!!!
Hope I can lose another 40 this next year!
Barbara in FL

ALERT!!!!!! ALERT!!!!! Don't go to VeronicaLa's message it's worsethan prono. [email protected] Needlework 27 February 6th 08 01:06 PM
OT--Reheating the turkey joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska Quilting 4 November 25th 05 05:24 AM
Crochet Turkey? Sew-Sew Lady Yarn 2 September 14th 04 03:01 AM
Happy TURKEY day! Kellie J. Berger Quilting 7 November 29th 03 09:31 AM
Crochet Turkey ShawnAnne Yarn 12 August 30th 03 05:19 AM