Glass together with metal, properties when heatet and cooling down again.

Old November 5th 05, 10:23 PM
Søren M

Default Glass together with metal, properties when heatet and cooling down again.

Hello,

I am trying to put different materials in to glass in a oven i know that
Copper and glass react equal when heetet to about 1200 degrees and
cooling down again should have same properties, so the glass dont brake
when the copper inside expand after cooling down.

Is there other materials and metals that has the same properties..

What is that process called where two materials is heatet up and cooled
down again with same properties?

How do i mesure this?

Is there some cards telling how this works like in the periodic system?

Does silver and glass have the same properties expanding and deexpanding
when cooling down again..

is there other materials that does the same ex. gold or other?

I will try to post this message her because its a more relevant
newsgroup.
Thanking you in adwance.

Søren M

Old November 5th 05, 10:27 PM

You'd be better to ask this question on a board that specializes in
kilnforming.

http://www.warmglass.com

Old November 6th 05, 01:09 AM
nJb

Søren M wrote:

Hello,

I am trying to put different materials in to glass in a oven i know that
Copper and glass react equal when heetet to about 1200 degrees and
cooling down again should have same properties, so the glass dont brake
when the copper inside expand after cooling down.

Is there other materials and metals that has the same properties..

What is that process called where two materials is heatet up and cooled
down again with same properties?

The rate at which a material expands with heat is called the coefficient
of expansion.

How do i mesure this?

With very expensive measuring equipment.

Is there some cards telling how this works like in the periodic system?

In an engineering handbook or a good reference on metallurgy.

Does silver and glass have the same properties expanding and deexpanding
when cooling down again..

No

is there other materials that does the same ex. gold or other?

Don't know.

I will try to post this message her because its a more relevant
newsgroup.
Thanking you in adwance.

Søren M

Coefficient of expansion is the term you are looking for. Copper goes
well with kiln formed glass. Other metals such as gold, silver and
platinum are also used in foil or leaf form. You can get away with small
amounts of stainless steel wire.

--
Jack

Plonked by Thomas

bobo1148atxmissiondotcom

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/xmissionbobo/
Old November 6th 05, 02:23 AM
Mike Firth

nichrome (heater wire) can be fused in glass
generally hard metals crack the glass, soft ones usually work - copper,
silver, gold. Silver commonly discolor to a grey when encased in hot glass.
some stainless steel (303) can be worked in glass - see my site on door
handles and knobs. http://users.ticnet.com/mikefirth/mfgl.htm#KNOBS

--
Mike Firth
Furnace Glassblowing Website

Old November 6th 05, 07:56 AM
Søren M

"nJb" skrev i en meddelelse
Søren M wrote:

[...]

Dear Jack,

Thank you for your ansver.

That the copper goes well with glass does it also meen that i can use
rods and not only sheets copperleafs?

Best regards
Søren M

Old November 6th 05, 04:19 PM
nJb

Søren M wrote:
"nJb" skrev i en meddelelse

Søren M wrote:

[...]

I don't know. Try it and let us know what happens.

Old November 8th 05, 03:10 AM
Michele Blank

silver wire can be fused but it must be .999 fine, NOT sterling. Copper wire
works but you need a long anneal in my experience. nichrome will stick but i
have found it to cause cracking when used as exterior hooks or loops. In
leaf or fine dust/frit form, most metals will adapt when used in small
amounts.mica is also a cool effect. m

Old November 9th 05, 01:50 AM
Mike Beede

In article ,
"Michele Blank" wrote:

silver wire can be fused but it must be .999 fine, NOT sterling. Copper wire
works but you need a long anneal in my experience. nichrome will stick but i
have found it to cause cracking when used as exterior hooks or loops. In
leaf or fine dust/frit form, most metals will adapt when used in small
amounts.mica is also a cool effect. m

I made some paperweight bottles with steel wool embedded in them. Apparently
the small diameter makes it more forgiving because there has been
no cracking. However, it wasn't very attractive either....

Mike Beede
Old November 9th 05, 02:04 AM
Javahut

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article ,
"Michele Blank" wrote:

silver wire can be fused but it must be .999 fine, NOT sterling. Copper

wire
works but you need a long anneal in my experience. nichrome will stick

but i
have found it to cause cracking when used as exterior hooks or loops. In
leaf or fine dust/frit form, most metals will adapt when used in small
amounts.mica is also a cool effect. m

I made some paperweight bottles with steel wool embedded in them.

Apparently
the small diameter makes it more forgiving because there has been
no cracking. However, it wasn't very attractive either....

Mike Beede

Ever think of trying it with bronze wool? I have no idea what it would
turn, but no doubt it would change color, and it is copper base metal.

Old November 9th 05, 03:23 AM
Mike Beede

In article ,
"Javahut" wrote:

I made some paperweight bottles with steel wool embedded in them.

Apparently
the small diameter makes it more forgiving because there has been
no cracking. However, it wasn't very attractive either....

Mike Beede

Ever think of trying it with bronze wool? I have no idea what it would
turn, but no doubt it would change color, and it is copper base metal.

No. I never heard of bronze wool. I'll have to find some
and try it. The steel wool burns spectacularly when it
goes into the furnace, but some remains on the surface. Not
that that has anything to do with the results, but it's
Kinda Fun.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mike Beede