OT question

Old October 12th 04, 05:07 AM
melinda

Default OT question

How do keep DS, 15-16 months old, amused in the car on a trip?
Unfortunately the tape player in the car doesn't work and radio
coverage is likely to intermitant at best.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 12th 04, 05:30 AM
maryd

Try some I Spy games, take a variety of age appropriate picture books and
activities, stop at least every 2 hours to let him run and play. Good luck.
We were lucky that all our children loved to travel.

--
Mary

Old October 12th 04, 05:42 AM
taria

Try Radio Disney.
http://radio.disney.go.com/index.html
there is a whole list of stations all across the
country.
Kids usually ate while in the car and used stopped time
to run around more. Several new books would help.
How long are you going to be in the car?

Taria

Old October 12th 04, 08:37 AM
Sarah Dixon

We take paper and crayons, books and small toys. We also encourage DS
to look out the window, discussing the lorries and cars that he sees.
Roadworks are great as long as there are plenty of diggers!

Sarah
Old October 12th 04, 08:37 AM
melinda

taria wrote:
Try Radio Disney.
http://radio.disney.go.com/index.html
there is a whole list of stations all across the
country.
Kids usually ate while in the car and used stopped time
to run around more. Several new books would help.
How long are you going to be in the car?

Taria

Well I don't think we get radio Disney in Australia, and I have
no real idea how long we'll be driving for but there will be a
couple of stops for DH to work during the first parts of the drive.
Snacks for the drive I have organised, as well as something for
lunch.

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old October 12th 04, 10:33 AM
Roberta Zollner

I used to fill up a bag with little toys and books, some new stuff never
seen before, and at that age you can put in some old favorites too. Hand out
1 at a time whenever the natives start to get restless. And take back the
previous toy. Or make a holder like a shoe caddy that can hang on the back
of the seat in front of him, where he can stash his stuff. At that age, mine
slept a lot while driving, so don't forget a little pillow. If you're up to
it, bring a couple of hand puppets and do a puppet show, although you might
want to save this for a truly desperate moment.
Roberta in D

Old October 12th 04, 01:30 PM
Kim E

We have a small TV/DVD that plugs into the car's cigarette lighter.
When it is not in the car, it lives in my sewing room.

Kim

Old October 12th 04, 02:06 PM
MoragP

Roadworks are great as long as there are plenty of diggers!

I remember those days! We never minded construction zones because DS would get
silent and just stare and stare. We got about three hours of conversation from
him after that. He still likes to look at big trucks at 28. Guess some parts
of us never really grow up.

Morag in Detroit
Old October 12th 04, 04:04 PM
JoyceG in WA

I used to take a big sack of very large beads, the type that you can't even fit
in your mouth, and give the kids a long lace to string beads. There are also
those types of beads that pop together. That would keep them occupied for a
while. Crayons and a coloring book and a blank pad are good options. Maybe
you could have some small treats/toys that you could wrap in gift wrap or plain
paper, and allow him to open them as special treats, i.e., every hour, or every
100 miles, etc. Make sure you have some prepackaged little bags of treats,
like Cheerios or other healthy finger food, as well as juice/water for him.
Also, have you thought about using a battery-operated tape player, or even
something with headphones, like a walkman? Your DS might enjoy the novelty of
hearing an age-appropriate story through the headphones.

HTH-
JoyceG in WA, who has three older kids now who all plug into headphones and sit
fairly quietly on long rides! LOL

Melinda asked:

Old October 12th 04, 04:07 PM
frood

If you do get a small tape player, tape some of the video tapes he likes.
Listening to the movies is almost as good as watching them.

Good luck, Melinda. I found this age to be the hardest to travel with - too
old to just sleep, too young to amuse themselves.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply