Advice wanted - OT for quilting, technically, but still sewing related...

Old August 15th 06, 02:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Advice wanted - OT for quilting, technically, but still sewingrelated...

Thanks, Joanna. Your idea is really very
clever. I think it would work with tabs
instead of flanges. (In case anyone is
looking for an easier way.) I need a
coffee table too. I am thinking of
'borrowing' your idea. Good luck. PAT

Old August 15th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FurrsomeThreesome

I'm sorry!!!!

I haven't been around long enough to keep in mind who is who is where
and how to find...

Also, it was a whirlwind week - I could have stayed another week, just
in the neighborhood we were in, and not done everything that sounded
interesting. We had friends in San Jose we got out to, and they took
us to Monterey... we biked over the bridge on a tandem rental one
day... took the late cruise to Alcatraz... I barely got to ANYwhere
for any kind of shopping.

Next time!

Johanna

Marcella Peek wrote:
In article .com,
"FurrsomeThreesome" wrote:

Hi all!

Been too busy recently for all but run-by readings of the latest
messages, but I'm now done with business travel and I think shopping
for the rest of this year, having just gone to San Francisco,

And did she call????

Nooooooooooo

sigh.

You need to drop a note when you are in the neighborhood. I know the
good bakeries too ;-) and the quilt shop in town.

marcella

Old August 15th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FurrsomeThreesome

Hmmm.. tabs or flaps would be simpler and save me trying to stitch a
few corners. Will have to ponder that. I'm kindof liking what I
envision to be the neatness of the folded flange.

Feel free to "borrow" - I'm sure such ideas have been dreamed up
before. If I ever get around to actually drawing it out, with
instructions, I may see if my LQS/LSS, both of which publish their own
patterns and sell self-published patterns, might do so on consignment.
But my time limits my ambitions that way.

Johanna

Old August 15th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
FurrsomeThreesome

We don't have TSWLTH in Canada (meaning JoAnne's if I remember?). We
have a similar place known as Len's Mill Store, and "the F store"
(Fabricland) in its various divisions.

I have discovered that in my greater Metro area is a place called
Custom Foam Manufacturing which both fabricatesto-order all kinds of
different foam products, small or large order, and has associated with
it an outlet known as The Foam Store - no kidding! - which will take
stock foam and cut to order for all kinds of small-potatoes projects
like mine. I just have to get out during a weekday workday as they
don't open weekends.

I think I will rootle the stash first and construct some QI-sized
prototypes, stuffed with "whatever", out of the less-than-upholstery
grade "oops, why did I buy that?" bits (see previous comment about
ultrasuede suit project gone terribly wrong). I often do that with
quilts, too, to try out a design or technique that's new to me. That
turns out to be great practice, and my cats, my vet's kennels, or the
local shelter kitties benefit from the experiments and don't care if my
colours were off.

Then when I actually get my sofa I'll take one of the cushions shopping
for coordinating colours and fabrics, and go whole-hog for the
full-scale living room piece after that.

Thanks for all the neat ideas gang!

Johanna

Kate G. wrote:
you can purchase some foam from TSWLTH -- in several thicknesses. But it doesn't come cheap!

Might be easier (and even a bit of fun) to hit the thrift shops to find a fantastic $10 coffee table
or ottoman that you could refinish or recover!

Kate in MI

"FurrsomeThreesome" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all!

Been too busy recently for all but run-by readings of the latest
messages, but I'm now done with business travel and I think shopping
for the rest of this year, having just gone to San Francisco, then come
home and bought a sectional for the new loft. I can buy food and pay
bills now, that's about it.

So the rule is, any more sewing-quilting between now and Christmas has
to be at least IN PART constructed from my existing stash. That's OK.
I got lots on the go.

There's actually a question coming out of this...

I was up brainstorming designs last night for square, boxy, floor
cushions. Given the cost of the sectional sofa, I'm not getting either
of an ottoman or a coffee table soon, but I worked out (at least, in my
mind) a way to make floor cushions such that they could stack and
fasten together so the pile wouldn't fall over. That way, they could
be extra flop space for TV nights, but when entertaining more civilized
company, I could stack them, put a tray on top, and serve drinks - or
make an extra "chair". I think I have a heap of heavier fabrics and
some ultrasuade from a skirt-and-jacket project gone horribly wrong
that I can repurpose, so this idea meets the "use the stash" criteria.

So the question is - any advice on what exactly to STUFF them with for
such an application? Other than a few different kinds of quilt
batting, I don't know much about filling textile articles. I assume
some sort of firm foam block so they stack well but I'd want to wrap it
in batting or stuffing too for some loft, but I don't know what the
proper names are for such components.

I realize its more of an upholstery question than quilting, but you
quilters are so super with the ideas on everything from kids to cars
to coffee, I thought I'd ask here.

(PS - I DO have some quilts on the go - have tops done now for two
baby quilts for the recently-arrived neice and friend's preemie!!!
Hoping to finish them before tackling the cushions).

Johanna (the one in Waterloo, Ontario) and the QI's - Sprout, Maui (who
is 10 today!) and Blue.

Old August 15th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Hmmm ... my messages seems to suggest I
like the tabs better than the flanges.
Actually that is not the case! The
flanges would really be cool ... as you
say, the folded corners of the flange
would be an interesting element. I only
wanted to offer an option for any one
who might lack the time, or the skill
set, to do the flange.
PAT

FurrsomeThreesome wrote:

Hmmm.. tabs or flaps would be simpler and save me trying to stitch a
few corners. Will have to ponder that. I'm kindof liking what I
envision to be the neatness of the folded flange.

Feel free to "borrow" - I'm sure such ideas have been dreamed up
before. If I ever get around to actually drawing it out, with
instructions, I may see if my LQS/LSS, both of which publish their own
patterns and sell self-published patterns, might do so on consignment.
But my time limits my ambitions that way.

Web Site with over 3500 sewing related items Angela Marketplace 0 February 4th 05 06:12 PM
Advice on sewing machine PFJ Quilting 63 December 24th 04 06:20 PM
Sewing Room Accessories Ward Sewing 9 September 1st 04 01:01 PM
OT Sewing Related Janet of Gar Quilting 4 February 4th 04 11:23 AM
A Sewing related Funny Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Sewing 8 January 31st 04 02:41 PM