TIDBITS 05/21/06

Old May 21st 06, 07:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.marketplace

Default TIDBITS 05/21/06

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Tidbits may be reprinted without charge --
with attribution. Additionally, if you know of anyone who you think
would enjoy Tidbits, please make them aware of us. URL
(http://www.tyler-adam.com). We encourage you to forward
this email to friends and colleagues.
======================================

If any of you want Tidbits emailed directly, let me know and
I'll take care of it. Tidbits may be reprinted without charge --
with attribution. Additionally, if you know of anyone who you think
would enjoy Tidbits, please make them aware of us. URL
(http://www.tyler-adam.com). We encourage you to forward
this email to friends and colleagues.
======================================

The Sun

An Ojibwas Indian stands silhouetted against a North American
sky. He lights the tip of his arrow with fire. He takes careful
aim toward the heavens ... draws back the string ... and shoots.
The blazing missile heads upwards. The sky is dark. This
will soon change. The sun will soon be re-kindled by his flame.
Daylight and warmth will once again envelope the earth.
The Indian's vocabulary is weak. He does not understand the word
"eclipse". He does not understand what has caused the sun to
lose its flame.

They were once married ... the Sun to the Moon ... and they had
offspring ... and these were the stars. The myths surrounding the
sun abound. Norse myth has it that the wolf Fenrir and/or his
descendants will one day eat the sun and when that happens the
Fimbulwinter will arrive and will last three years before the
arrival of Ragnorak: The final terrible battle in which all of
creation--including the gods--will perish. I guess the moral of
this tale is to always try to keep the wolf at bay ... lest he
swallows your sun ... kills your gods ... and ends creation. Of
course ... this may all well happen without Fenrir's help ... but
that's another story.

The Aztecs understood most thoroughly the need
to appease the great Sun God. The continual desire for flayed
corpses and ripped out hearts were not only necessary requirements
to keep the sun-god happy ... but--it is said--it also reflected their
own dietary penchants. Hello ... waiter. We would like to
order. Two roasted human hearts for my wife and I. If you don't mind.
Medium rare. A little blood sauce on the side. Mashed potatoes and
ketchup. Ah ... bless them Aztecs. The knew civilized when they saw
it.

He is born and is young in the morning as he begins his trek leaving
the eastern palace to climb the sky in his golden chariot. He reaches
maturity at his zenith ... and then plunges into old age in the west.
He is the sun. He is he who is swallowed by the chaotic dragon at
night and who then swims back to the east via the underworld to be
reborn the next morning ... a young again god ready to set out on his
daily trek. Clearly ... monotony did not begin with a commuter trip to
work every morning.

He is many things. He is Horus ... the rising sun. He is Ra ... the
noon sun. He is Osirus ... the setting , dying, god of the dead sun.
Horus ... Ra ... Osirus: Father ... Son ... Holy Ghost. It is all
daily ... monthly ... annual symbolism.

And as the sun shines strong against an azure sky ... beaming at
lovers gamboling through golden meadows (has anyone out there ever
gamboled I wonder) ... as the sun beams at the trysting duo ...
he suddenly metamorphoses ... his light dims ... his shell hardens
.... he takes on a metallic pallor ... and he becomes ... he becomes
.... yes ... a pair of silver earrings. So what did you think ... maybe
he becomes the moon or something?

Is it a wonder ... once knowing the versatility of the Hot God ...
is it a wonder then that jewelers through time immemorial have made
suns and more suns. Better than making bananas I say.

For those of you who are new to this thing called Tidbits...may
I direct you to my home page at www.tyler-adam.com where
you will scroll down the left side menu till you get to the area
that says Current Tidbits ... and then click on it in order to
view a pair of 18 karat gold and silver Donatella Earrings signed
Marinab, 1979. Value ... $3000.00 as of 1997.

And there ya have it.
That's it for this week folks.
Catch you all next week.
Benjamin Mark

All issues of Tidbits are copyrighted and available from our
home page. All rights reserved.

TIDBITS 05/21/06 Benjamin Mark General Crafting 0 May 21st 06 07:59 PM
TIDBITS 05/21/06 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 0 May 21st 06 07:17 PM
TIDBITS 05/21/06 Benjamin Mark Beads 0 May 21st 06 04:30 PM
TIDBITS 10/24/04 Benjamin Mark Marketplace 0 October 24th 04 09:28 PM
TIDBITS 07/13/03 Benjamin Mark Jewelry 2 July 21st 03 05:22 AM