Strands of Floss

Old January 25th 05, 10:21 AM
Sally Swindells

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 04:52:54 GMT, Brenda
wrote:

Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have another candidate for annual
"debate" status... Let 'er rip!

Lucille said:
Well then what's to happen to us snippets? Snippets all over unite and rid
the land of this ort thing.

Sheena replied:
Down with snippets, orts rule

Looked in Concise Oxford Dictionary and much to my surprise there was
'orts' meaning 'refuse scraps' , leavings. Looked in
'hyperdictionary' and it gave 'A small scrap or leaving of food after
a meal is completed, or a scrap; a bit', and the related words
included garbage, bones and rubbish

I'm definitely on the side of snippets; Dictionary def - a small
piece cut off. After all they aren't rubbish, but useful things and
really stash waiting to be used. Its a lively and pretty word.

But orts ...sounds too much like cold brussels sprouts, congealed
gravy and messy plates!

Sally

Old January 25th 05, 02:16 PM
Lucille

Lucille said:
Well then what's to happen to us snippets? Snippets all over unite and
rid
the land of this ort thing.

Sheena replied:
Down with snippets, orts rule

Looked in Concise Oxford Dictionary and much to my surprise there was
'orts' meaning 'refuse scraps' , leavings. Looked in
'hyperdictionary' and it gave 'A small scrap or leaving of food after
a meal is completed, or a scrap; a bit', and the related words
included garbage, bones and rubbish

I'm definitely on the side of snippets; Dictionary def - a small
piece cut off. After all they aren't rubbish, but useful things and
really stash waiting to be used. Its a lively and pretty word.

But orts ...sounds too much like cold brussels sprouts, congealed
gravy and messy plates!

Sally

As you alaready know, I'm a snippet fan and I'm glad to know there are
others out there. Let's get this very serious situation resolved once and
for all.

I say: Snippets Forever !!!

Lucille

Old January 25th 05, 02:54 PM
Gillian Murray

Lucille said:
Well then what's to happen to us snippets? Snippets all over unite and
rid
the land of this ort thing.

Sheena replied:
Down with snippets, orts rule

Yeppers, a real, lick or not lick, mayo or miracle whip one lol

Yeah for orts!! Snippets sounds so wussy and prissy!!

Gillian

Old January 25th 05, 03:28 PM
Sally Swindells

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 22:52:32 GMT, Lucretia Borgia
wrote:

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote in message
. ..

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message

A friend of mine bought me a very pretty "snippet" jar and that's what I
use.

Lucille

Them is called orts and yours is an ort jar. A friend has a most
pretty one.

Snippets I tell you, Snippets One of these days you English speaking folk
must learn how to speak English lol

Ort sounds very German to me, but I am not sure. Snippets just won't
do anyway!

1st dictionary:
Middle English orte, food left by animals, probably from Middle Dutch
2nd dictionary:
Middle English, from Middle Low German orte : a morsel left at a meal.

My spare bits of thread are pretty snippets, not old bits of cattle
feed or yukkys left on a plate.

If I have a lot I twist them together until they 'bend' at the middle
and go into a double twist. Then I have a pretty snippet cord.

Sally
Old January 25th 05, 03:45 PM
Gillian Murray

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message

"Lucretia Borgia" wrote

Down with snippets, orts rule

Orts has an Olde Anglo Saxon sort of sound to it, snippets a much more
refined sound. Hyacinth Bucket has snippets, and would send her sister
Violet a Snippet Box, while Our Daisy has an Orts Jar on the counter next
to the grease pot for the drainings from Onslow's bacon butties.
Dawne

I love the picture that conjures up!! I have a classy "orts vase" in the
kitchen which contains years of orts! Of course, it is from the Dollar
store. Snippets would be in Waterford crystal!

Gillian

Old January 25th 05, 04:00 PM
Lucille

Lucille said:
Well then what's to happen to us snippets? Snippets all over unite and
rid
the land of this ort thing.

Sheena replied:
Down with snippets, orts rule

Yeppers, a real, lick or not lick, mayo or miracle whip one lol

Yeah for orts!! Snippets sounds so wussy and prissy!!

Gillian

I'm sure everyone will agree that that's a perfect descriiption of me:
Wussy, Prissy, Ladylike and a yes a picky eater.

Ducking, Running and hiding in the closet

Lucille 0*-)

Old January 25th 05, 05:01 PM
Dr. Brat

Lucille wrote:

"Gillian Murray" wrote in message

Yeah for orts!! Snippets sounds so wussy and prissy!!

I'm sure everyone will agree that that's a perfect descriiption of me:
Wussy, Prissy, Ladylike and a yes a picky eater.

Shall we start calling you "Snippet" then?

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old January 25th 05, 05:32 PM
Jan J.

I find it very amusing how a simple question from
a newbie can take a 90 degree turn and become
quite a hot topic.

BTW, I'm a Snippet fan. Orts sound too much like
something you pick out of your teeth after a meal. LOL

Ducking and running from the Ort faction. ;-)

Jan - WebMistress of:
'A Stitch In Thyme'- http://www.alpinemeadow.com/stitchery/index.html
List Assistant to: fkxs * Forever Knight Cross Stitchers