Estate sales

Old February 27th 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Estate sales

Hi,

I just thought I'd mention I saw an estate sale sign and went to check
it out, as we'd found a nice older waffle maker at a previous one
several years ago.

This estate sale made me sad I didn't know the lady before she passed
on. She had tons of yarn ends, the result of years of work, and she
had several projects on needles that were being sold either piecemeal
for the bigger skeins or by the bag for the finer yarns. I looked it
over, and didn't think the bags were something I'd use as there were
no wrappers to indicate fiber content, but I could tell by feel it was
a mix of wool, acrylic, and other fibers in fingering and sport/DK
weights, but I picked up quite a bit of worsted acrylic bits and
pieces in unusual colors, 10 half skeins left (or more than half left)
for $1.25.

However, what impressed me quite a bit was the selection of patterns
she had. She had a number of patterns in Norwegian, including an
entire Norwegian pattern book dated 1955! I flipped through it, and
found some interesting patterns, so I took that, figuring I could
Babelfish it if I can't follow the charts on the items I eventually
want to make. She also had many early 1990s Fashion Knitting
magazines, which is now known as Knit N Style, and I picked all those
up as well. In all, I got 20 mags and books for $2.50! I consider
getting everything I did an amazing bargain.

Leah

Old February 27th 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

I always just scoop up all patterns, tools, unfinished projects, and
yarns, and sort it all out later. I keep all pattern books that aren't
duplicates of what I already have, and keep the tools. As to yarns, I
keep what I think I'll really use. Yarns I don't want that are in very
good condition I give to a local senior citizens center where yarns of
all sorts are used by the members for a wide variety of projects.
Duplicate patterns and yarn odds and ends that none of us want I donate
to the church's annual "garage sale", where they are always scooped up
quickly by other folks. One man's meat is another man's poison . . .

Old February 27th 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Good Going!

I do the same thing with patterns at rummage sales and I am starting to
scoop up the yarns as well. If I have extra or duplicate patterns, I
take them to the library swap. They have a few rotating racks in the
lobby for "take one, leave one". I have even snuck in a few x-stitch
kits that I wont do, tiny ones, and they are always taken.

The rummage sales I go to are the bag-day sales. Stuff a grocery bag
with whatever for a few dollars. Money goes to a good organization and
DD and I have fun sorting, laughing, and using what we have found.

Diane

Old February 27th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

"Leah" skrev i melding
Hi,

However, what impressed me quite a bit was the selection of patterns
she had. She had a number of patterns in Norwegian, including an
entire Norwegian pattern book dated 1955! I flipped through it, and
found some interesting patterns, so I took that, figuring I could
Babelfish it if I can't follow the charts on the items I eventually
want to make. She also had many early 1990s Fashion Knitting
magazines, which is now known as Knit N Style, and I picked all those
up as well. In all, I got 20 mags and books for $2.50! I consider
getting everything I did an amazing bargain.

Leah

What a bargain, Leah!

If you need to translate the Norwegian psttern, go to this site:
http://www.wiseneedle.com/glossary.asp
you can get a single word translated, OR you can get all the knitting
expressions translated:
Mark in the box at left for *ALL*,
Go to the right menu, holdthe Ctrl button on the key board, as you mark
f.i. Modern American and Norwegian (yuo can mark for format for
printing), click search!
Then you have a knitting glossary.
If you need more help on Norwegian, well, just mail ME!!! LOL!
AUD ;-)

Old February 27th 06, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On 27 Feb 2006 06:57:18 -0800, "Mary" wrote:

I always just scoop up all patterns, tools, unfinished projects, and
yarns, and sort it all out later.

I was tempted to grab everything I saw, but I'm short on space and
currently trying to reduce my stash size so my craft half room doesn't
take over the office half.

I keep all pattern books that aren't
duplicates of what I already have, and keep the tools. As to yarns, I
keep what I think I'll really use.

I saw duplicates on magazines and other patterns and passed them by
since I'm short on space. I took only yarns I thought I'd really use,
and now that I think of it, I should have grabbed the bags of bulky
yarns, because they were marked and were wool, but I didn't have that
much cash, and those were marked $5 each. I often make items to
donate from scraps, and that yarn would have made some warm hats and
mittens, darn it for me missing out on it, but I just don't carry
cash.

Yarns I don't want that are in very
good condition I give to a local senior citizens center where yarns of
all sorts are used by the members for a wide variety of projects.
Duplicate patterns and yarn odds and ends that none of us want I donate
to the church's annual "garage sale", where they are always scooped up
quickly by other folks. One man's meat is another man's poison . . .

Very true!

Leah
Old February 27th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thanks, Aud! I'll be sure to check it out.

Old February 28th 06, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Those estate sales are fun places to rummage around, I've managed
to get loads of bargains from them. Sounds like you got a good haul
there. Let us know what you're going to make!
Marie and the cats