Photographing Jewellery

Old September 18th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

Default Photographing Jewellery

Hi There......

Could some of you help me out with this?? I have never had to do this
before.

My Pentax *died* and I bought a Canon Powershot last week. FYI, digital
cameras have a life span of 3-4 years. 8-((

Anyway, I assume you shoot against a white or black background, but the
books have to be a translation from Chinese (well, I did work at Canon
on a temp basis, so I know where it is made, lol).....but I can't seem
to get the flash to work all of the time. And the colours are not true.

It is on Auto and I have the flash on, but I also put *Macro* on for
closeups and I think perhaps the flash is not about to work with Auto or
Macro, but not sure and as I say, I am *booklet instruction challenged*
on cameras. Computers? No problem.

Probably some silly setting that I need to do with the camera set on
"Manual" instead of Auto. My photographer daughter has a very expensive
Canon with all of those huge lenses, but these little ones she is not
sure what all to change and she is 3000 miles away. She is the one who
narrowed it down to the Macro setting perhaps not allowing the flash.

Thanks for any help you can give. I will give it one more shot (pun,
groan) today when I get back from my bead store......on a beading streak
and don't want to lose the *edge*, grin. Inspiration is sometimes hard
to come by!!!!

Cheers.....Heather

Old September 18th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

What is the model? I can help you out more if I know the exact camera model
(so I can go look up the camera manual). I can't really do anything unless I
can see what your options are.

Honestly learning a digital is pretty trial and error. What works for one
camera may not work for another. Mine, I put on manual, macro, then put it
on a certain light setting and do not use the flash to take pictures. But,
others may use flash on auto and everything comes out perfectly.

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
-Michelangelo Buonarroti

Old September 19th 07, 12:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

It is a Canon Powershot A560 (with face recognition or some such). I
really appreciate this. The dead Pentax was my Xmas present 4 years
ago, but the DH never let me use it, so this one is M-I-N-E!!!! (VBG)

I have done all the basic settings, of course, but Elayne (daughter)
knows way more about macros and ISO and all that stuff than I do. So as
you say, it is trial and error. I didn't get a chance to do any today,
but will try later.

I was going to reread the complicated parts (who the hell writes these
durned things anyway.......MEN??) But was going to try sort of an
offset bright light and read up on the manual and macro things.

Thanks again.....I do appreciate the help. Ron is helpless and hopeless
when it comes to things electronic (i.e. VCR's, TV Remotes, DVD players,
etc.) I even have to set the stove clock twice a year, LOL!!

Cheers...Heather

Old September 19th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Georgia[_2_]

You're not likely to get true color using flash. Try using a light cube to
filter light from floodlights, and set your camera on its "incandescent
light" setting.

Good luck!

Georgia
www.georgiamorgan.net

Old September 23rd 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara

Try taking your jewelry outside in the early part of the day to take the
photos. You want to be sure you have the sun behind you. You might be
amazed of how nicely the jewelry will look in the photo.

Barbara
www.SunfluersJewelryDesigns.com
"You are as unique as our designs."

Old October 4th 07, 03:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vicky

"Heather" wrote in message

[...]

I reading this one with interest cause i to have problems taking
Jewelry Photos though i feel like ive inproved smile its nice to know
any tips one can get V

Old October 8th 07, 09:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
JewelryArtist

Enjoy getting used to your new camera. Don't jinx my
camera... I don't want to get used to another camera. It will come
someday in which I will have to do so. Anyway... you will have to
experiement. Find what works in different situations. Who needs a
manual anyway!? I have a free tutorial on how I create my own light
box and get above average results. The things you have to get right is
the white balance (WB), direction on light, and photo editing
software. Yep... software is a must too. Don't worry... I don't sell
software. I personally use Adobe Photoshop 7 but most photo editing
software will work as long as you know some basics. What kind of
background are you going for? I like the varigated backgrounds. There
are some under the tutorial section.

Free photobox setup and useage.
http://www.createapendant.com/photobox.htm

Photo Tips
http://www.createapendant.com/phototips.htm

Varigated Backgrounds
http://www.createapendant.com/photobackgrounds.htm

Matthew
Nix Creations

Old October 8th 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

Thank you very much, Matthew!!

I was going to try taking some outside today. But that sure won't work
well in below-zero December in Ontario, grin.

I do understand some of the terminology, however I shall pick the brain
of my daughter who is a *resident graphic artist* at a college in
Vancouver. She too uses Photoshop and assorted software. I never
realized just how complicated taking a picture was, LOL!!

As for trying to use a scanner for lumpy rather than flat objects, it is
not working for me.

Many thanks again!!

Heather
PS.....Manuals are not on my list of *enjoyable reading*!! (VBG)

ps.com...

Old October 10th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

Heather,

Sorry it took ME forever to respond back, I recently moved. I now remember
that I offered to try to help you use your camera. I ended up looking up
your manual and I can see why you don't want to use it. Yours is really
complicated looking!! Gah!
But I'll tell you what I use. I set mine to the incandescent setting (I have
to turn my camera to the "manual" setting for this) and adjust the
brightness because mine tends to take dark pics no matter what lighting. I
use two clip on gooseneck lamps with Reveal bulbs in them (I'm a Reveal
snob, I think they are great for everything) pointing towards my beads.
It took me months to find what worked though. I agree with Matthew that you
should just play with it. If it's too cold outside sometimes you can get
away with using a window for a light source.
Good luck!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

--
Valerie
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old October 12th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

Thanks, Valerie......I am late getting back to you as well. I worked as
a Poll Clerk in our Provincial Election on Wednesday and while the money
may be *good*.....it ain't worth sitting in a freezing cold high school
gymnasium for 15 hours with no breaks and you are not allowed to leave
other than to use the facilities. Yech!! Then I broke a cap chewing on
a mint, which will cost me WAY MORE to get fixed than I
made......dammit!!

I was just reading the manual and there is nothing in the index re
incandescant, but I will play around with manual setting, etc. Daughter
Elayne knows exactly what Matthew is talking about re white balance, so
if I was smart, I would wait till she comes home at Xmas, grin. But I
am not about to wait that long.

Thanks for the information.....and are you unpacked yet?? (G)

Heather

"Valerie" wrote in message
[...]

photographing diamonds so they don't look dull? [email protected] Jewelry 2 October 25th 05 04:02 PM
Photographing your beads Dr. Sooz Beads 233 July 8th 04 06:52 AM
photographing beads and jewellery.. Audrey Beads 3 June 3rd 04 09:57 PM
Photographing Pieces Charlie Beads 28 January 1st 04 09:06 PM
question about photographing glass ConTactMe Glass 5 August 7th 03 04:21 AM