Hi There from Canada......

Old August 26th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Kalera

Default Hi There from Canada......

Hi Heather!

-kalera

Heather wrote:
Like Nicole, I am pretty new to beading, but I have been lurking on this
group for months and am constantly in awe of the amazing things that you
do. I live in Toronto, btw.

I have never done beading before, but have done other crafts. I decided
to take a few classes at Michael's because retirement was getting a tad
boring. By the second class, I was hooked and have been running as fast
as I can to learn even 25% of what you all know. There is so MUCH to
learn. I still find it hard to visualize metric sized beads....tell me
1/2" and I can, but not 10 mm.

I am doing strictly beading, both stringing and wirework. I am in the
process of buying gemstones and sterling findings, now that I know how
much I love doing this. The hardest part for me is getting the
inspiration when working on something, but I just lay it out and adjust
here and there and eventually I have a "eureka" moment.

I have enjoyed the friendly banter amongst the group and have also
learned quite a lot by seeing the things you make, etc. Like Nicole, I
am building up my inventory and did buy several interesting strands over
in Portugal in June in a tiny little chinese store. We are still not
sure (my helpful bead store owner and myself) if I have jade or
aventurine, for instance.

So I am looking forward to being able to ask some fairly basic questions
I suppose, and I imagine Nicole is in the same boat as I am. I am
constantly pouring over magazines and all of your websites for
inspiration and knowledge.

Cheers.....Heather

Old August 28th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vibrant Jewels

I've bought from BeadFx online and have been happy with them.

--
Karleen Page
Member International Jewelry Designers Guild (IJDG)
"Heather" wrote in message
Thanks Barbara.....you surprised me with this tidbit. We live on the
western outskirts of Toronto and happened to be very close to Markham
yesterday for a doctor's appt. It does have a very big Chinese
population.

There are quite a few bead stores in Toronto proper that I haven't had a
chance to get to yet. One is Beadfx which has a huge website and is
further east than Markham. We have 3 (including Michael's) here in my
city so have access to 3 quite different types of gems, beads and
findings.

Cheers.....Heather

"Barbara Forbes-Lyons" wrote in message
Welcome Heather!

I know there are a few Chinese gem bead stores up in the Markham area.

Barbara

Bead & Polymer Clay Habitué

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness. (Dave
Barry)

http://www.penguintrax.com
http://www.backseatgrammarian.com
http://www.polymerclayworkshops.com

Old August 28th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

for my last job, I spent 3 separate weeks in the Markham area at the
corporate hq, so i got to poke around the area quite abit.

Old August 28th 07, 05:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

Good to hear that, Karleen. I haven't bought anything online so far,
but do get all of their *flyer* emails, etc. They seem to be well
thought of. I am toying with trying something with copper findings, so
was looking for them on their website.

Heather

Old August 28th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Heather

That explains it. I am in Brampton, about a half hour west of Markham.
We will be heading back into the same area on Thursday and maybe I can
talk him into poking around as well.....but somehow I think not. (G)

Old August 29th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Valerie

Welcome Heather!

--
Valerie

I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.
-Michelangelo Buonarroti

Going to Canada! Tia Mary Needlework 12 January 29th 06 02:41 PM
Oh Canada!! Cindy Schoepp Beads 1 June 19th 05 03:31 PM
Happy Canada day Els van Dam Yarn 5 July 2nd 04 04:13 PM
Happy Canada Day JudyTurpin Yarn 0 July 3rd 03 10:09 PM
Happy Canada Day Katherine Yarn 0 July 2nd 03 02:09 AM