cheap wire components

Old July 25th 07, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
ssandee

Default cheap wire components

I hate the way gold plate and silver plate turn ugly so quickly--and
still not comfortably able to afford GF and sometimes even SS in my
beginner earring creations.
Even cheap fashion jewelry's wire components stay better looking than
the plated stuff.
What are they using?
What might be an alternative to expensive gold filled and sterling if
looking better for longer is an issue?

thanks
Sandy

Old July 26th 07, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Lauren

I too am a beginner and have just been doing beading for 6 months. And
I was a bit surprised that no one would even try to answer your
question. I quickly found out that Michael's base metal stuff loses its
lustre very quickly. I have a rather acidic skin and can turn it in a
few hours.

The answer really is that you have to take the leap and use sterling
silver first, as it is less expensive than gold. I am at that point and
now feeling confident enough in my work to replace some of my clasps,
etc.

This is not a hobby/passion where one can cut corners unfortunately, but
if you feel you have reached the point where you want to use better
metals, then bite the bullet and try sterling ear wires, for instance.
They really are not all that expensive.

Good luck.....Lauren

oups.com...

Old July 27th 07, 08:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

Maybe I'm not as much a beginner, but maybe I am, probably
depends on who you ask.

I live in an area where everything corrodes one way or the other,
and I mostly use surgical steel earring hooks. the cold colored
ones lose their color, but at least they stay shiny. GF is a bit
expensive for my market. I have a reasonably good experience
with base metal pins (but it depends on where they come from),
but mine are usually mostly covered with beads unless I use them
for wire wrapping.
The reason I went back up to add to this section: where I live
the air is acidic - there's an active volcano a few tens of miles
away -, we're close to the ocean (so there's salt in the air),
it's warmer than most places, and our average humidity is
above 70%. So OK, stainless steel rusts here, but so far I don't
have problems with surgical steel earwires.

Also, I found that some of the plated pins flake when you start
bending them, so I wouldn't buy those again (Blue Moon Beads).
How can you connect a pin to something without bending it?

I have generally half decent experiences with craft wire. I'm still
learning wire wrapping, and I don't want to do that with expensive
wire. Again, some are better than others. If you just want to try it
out, just don't buy a lot.

I have only been to a Michael's once as we don't have that here,
We have Ben Franklin here which is the same company as ACE
Hardware (but separate stores), but ours has a bead shop and
in some areas it's pretty good, but expensive. Once you make up
your mind about something you can find it on line usually cheaper,
especially if you buy in quantity or more than one thing. - I have
a business license, and so I get wholesale prices at some places.
If you have one (for whatever reason), that's a thing to consider. -

Hope any of this helps any,
Maren
Palms, Etc.: Tropical Plant Seeds - Hand-made Jewelry - Plants &
Lilikoi
http://www.jach.hawaii.edu/~maren/palms_etc/

On Jul 26, 7:44 am, "Lauren" wrote:
I too am a beginner and have just been doing beading for 6 months. And
I was a bit surprised that no one would even try to answer your
question. I quickly found out that Michael's base metal stuff loses its
lustre very quickly. I have a rather acidic skin and can turn it in a
few hours.

The answer really is that you have to take the leap and use sterling
silver first, as it is less expensive than gold. I am at that point and
now feeling confident enough in my work to replace some of my clasps,
etc.

This is not a hobby/passion where one can cut corners unfortunately, but
if you feel you have reached the point where you want to use better
metals, then bite the bullet and try sterling ear wires, for instance.
They really are not all that expensive.

Good luck.....Lauren

oups.com...

Old July 27th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Glitzy Glass

There are also some things that you can try to place a barrier between
the air and your jewelry. For ear wires dip the wires in UNSCENTED
baby oil and just rub in - you can also use vaseline, both are hypo-
allergenic and will help keep your findings shiny for longer periods.

For bracelets and necklaces - get a high end car wax that is liquid,
not paste - brush it on and let it dry, then take a soft tooth brush
and cloth and polish your design - comes out nice and shiny and also
protects your jewels from the atmosphere. If you have added a patina
to your design with liver of sulphur don't worry the wax doesn't take
it off, it actually seals it in.

It is also wise to keep your finished designs in baggies between
shows - AND finally don't store your base metals or sterling in cotton
lined boxes or cloth - cotton and sterling do not mix well and the
cotton actually tarnishes the sterling faster.

Old July 27th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Glitzy Glass

Opps I forgot to sign my post so I appeared a bit rude Sorry
DeMarie
Glitzy Glass Studio
www.needbeads.com

Old July 27th 07, 06:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Sandy -- get a resale certificate from your state and buy gold-fill
and silver at Halstead Beads. VERY inexpensive, and no plating. Your
customers will appreciate it also -- they don't want the stuff to wear
off either, you know!

Becki

Old July 27th 07, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Beckibead

Or, go to Yahoo and join the BBB group -- they buy wholesale in large
amounts, and you can buy as much or as little as you wish (they do
group buys).

Also for the person complaining about "no one would even try to answer
your question" -- good grief, her post was up for one day before an
answer was posted. How fast are we required to answer? If you check
the stats on this newsgroup you will see that 31 messages have been
posted in the past 5 days -- that is questions, answers, ads, all of
it. It is not a high traffic newsgroup. Go buy some patience.

Becki

Old July 27th 07, 06:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Lauren

Thank you so much for all of the tips and interesting information. I do
hope the original poster has seen it.

I have been lurking for several months and love the beads that the women
on here make, including your self of course. I have a lot to learn as I
am starting this in my retirement years (and no, I don't feel all THAT
old, grin). It has gone from interest to hobby to passion.
Durn....they said I would get addicted. (G)

Cheers...Lauren

oups.com...

Old July 27th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Lauren

Thank you Maren. I was intrigued and visited your website. Those beads
are really interesting and quite plain, which is what I like.

I was just talking to my cousin in Florida who, like yourself, grows and
sells tropical plants. Small world.

Thank you again.....Lauren.

ups.com...

On Jul 26, 7:44 am, "Lauren" wrote:
[...]

oups.com...

Cheap Thin NiChrome Wire Paul Glass 0 March 19th 06 05:18 AM
glass bead pendant components lampworkbunny Beads 1 March 6th 05 08:36 PM
glass bead pendant components lampworkbunny Glass 1 March 6th 05 08:36 PM
Type of wood for doll house/components carino Doll Houses 6 May 14th 04 08:03 PM
Chandelier Earring Components? Goldie Darlin Beads 5 April 20th 04 06:11 PM