Adult Surprise Sweater

Old March 16th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
patetc

Default Adult Surprise Sweater

I'd like to make Elizabeth Zimmerman's Adult Surprise Sweater (I've
made two baby ones) and I have the directions from Knitter's #60 but
am having a hard time following them.

I prefer my patterns spelled out. This doesn't specify needle size,
yarn type or anything. Does anyone know of a similar pattern that is
easier to follow?

Pat
Old March 16th 08, 07:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Richard Eney

In article ,
patetc wrote:
I'd like to make Elizabeth Zimmerman's Adult Surprise Sweater (I've
made two baby ones) and I have the directions from Knitter's #60 but
am having a hard time following them.

It's a goofy pattern, isn't it? But that's what makes it fun.

I prefer my patterns spelled out. This doesn't specify needle size,
yarn type or anything. Does anyone know of a similar pattern that is
easier to follow?

There's probably one out there somewhere. On the other hand,
the Tomten jacket is cute and I think it scales up easier.

In _The Opinionated Knitter_ (EZ as reprinted and adapted
by Meg Swansen), there are Adult Surprise Jacket directions.
Here are the parts that I think may help most, because
they involve gauge and getting started:

First, swatch the yarn to get the gauge and fabric that you
like the feeling of. Then take a sweater that fits the way
you want it to fit, lay it flat, and measure across it at
the widest point - notice that this is not the measurement
around, it's just the measurement _across_ the width.
Multiply the number of inches by your gauge. So,
if your favorite cardigan is 18 inches across the back, and
your gauge is 5 stitches per inch, the number is 18x5 = 90.
Divide that by 3 and you get a Key Number which in this case
is 30. Then you multiply the key number (30 here) by nine
(30x9 = 270) and cast on that number of stitches.
The cast-on is the straight line from wrist to wrist across
the shoulders and back of the neck. If you use a provisional
cast-on, it's possible to lengthen the sleeves neatly.

In the rest of it she re-uses the letters A and B for three
different changes, which I admit I find confusing but since
you have already made two successful baby jackets, it might
not be a problem for you.

=Tamar
Old March 17th 08, 11:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
LauraJ[_2_]

There is a Knit-Along for that pattern he
http://surprisekal.blogspot.com/ If you decide to stick with the pattern
you'll be able to find others who can answer your questions there. I
haven't done the pattern myself so that is as much help as I can be!

Good luck!

LauraJ

"patetc" wrote in message
I'd like to make Elizabeth Zimmerman's Adult Surprise Sweater (I've
made two baby ones) and I have the directions from Knitter's #60 but
am having a hard time following them.

I prefer my patterns spelled out. This doesn't specify needle size,
yarn type or anything. Does anyone know of a similar pattern that is
easier to follow?

Pat

China cashmere sweater, merino sweater, etc. manufacturer andexporter Sweater manufacturer Yarn 0 January 8th 08 06:39 AM
Surprise Sweater! joan8904 Yarn 13 June 10th 07 08:44 PM
Surprise Sweater (!) joan8904 Yarn 0 June 8th 07 12:51 PM
Surprise Toddler Sweater JW Yarn 4 September 12th 03 07:55 PM