Summer weight quilt question

Old September 2nd 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

Default Summer weight quilt question

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Check the stores/catalogs for king-size flannel sheets.
Roberta in D

I use sheets all the time and have found they are a great source of 'big
fabric' for a very good value. Just one word of caution if you decide to use
a flannel sheet. Unpick any part that's hemmed, then wash it in *HOT* water
and dry in a *HOT* dryer, preferably twice at least. I've found flannel
sheets are notorious for not only shrinking but going wonky on the grain,
plus they are very "linty" when new. My method is to rip out any stitching,
press the folds flat, serge the edges and then twice hot wash/hot dry and
then iron. If you don't have a serger you could wash/dry before you unpick
the stitching. One other trick I found to make using the post washed
flannel sheets easier to work with, for me anyway; I put about a cup of
liquid starch in the final rinse water. Iron it with a steam iron after
taking it out of the dryer and it will have just a bit of body/sizing and be
easier to handle. It's not enough starch to make it stiff or difficult to
hand stitch, just gives it that 'new fabric' workability and also won't
fuzzy-lint up your machine as badly. Trust me, you'll save yourself some
grief if you take time to 'season' it first.

Learn from the mistakes of others, you'll never live long enough to make
them all yourself.

Val

Old September 3rd 07, 04:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 11:56:02 -0700, desert quilter
wrote:

Ohmigosh, Carolyn, I'm the slowest quilter in the world, but since
this quilt is a priority, I may actually get it done before 2
years. ;-)

Best regards,
Michelle in NV

We would make good quilting buddies. I'm slow as molasses.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 3rd 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
desert quilter

On Sep 2, 5:36 am, "Roberta Zollner" wrote:
Check the stores/catalogs for king-size flannel sheets.
Roberta in D

"desert quilter" schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:1188671981.700039.14690@r29g2000hs g.googlegroups.com...

That's an interesting idea, Pat. Can you buy backing fabric--you know
the 108" width type--in flannel? Not that it matters, it would be
okay for the back to be pieced. Just wondering.

I will be happy to let you know how it all works, but I have to warn
you, I haven't started yet, and the last king-sized quilt I made (the
blue & yellow) took a little over a year. Of course, maybe this one
won't be as hard to machine quilt, since it won't be as bulky.

Thanks!
Michelle in NV

On Aug 27, 2:35 pm, Pat in Virginia wrote:
Michelle:
Here's my suggestion. Use cotton top and a flannel
backing .... NO 'batting' layer. I think the flannel
back would have a bit more 'oomph!' than a plain cotton
backing. In fact, the more I think about this, the more
I realize I should make one for here ... it is hot and
muggy in Virginia during our looonnngg summers! Please
let us know how this all works out.
PAT

desert quilter wrote:
Just read all of your great replies to myquestion. I hadn't thought
of either using flannel or just foregoing any batting at all. This is
great! I can make the top, see how heavy it is on its own and go
either way. I'm kind of partial to the idea of a flannel batting so
thequiltwill have more body, but don't want to defeat my purpose--a
quilted bedspread to use in thesummer! Glad to know I have options.
.........cut.......
Thanks so much for your help, ladies!

Michelle in NV- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, Roberta!

Michelle in NV

Old September 3rd 07, 07:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
desert quilter

On Sep 2, 11:36 am, "Val" wrote:
[...]

Thanks for all the great hints, Val! I appreciate the heads up on the
exceptional "shrinkiness" of flannel. I didn't realize it had a
tendency to be worse than other fabrics. Good idea about the starch
too.

Best regards,
Michelle in NV

Old September 3rd 07, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
desert quilter

wrote:
Ohmigosh, Carolyn, I'm the slowest quilter in the world, but since
this quilt is a priority, I may actually get it done before 2
years. ;-)

Best regards,
Michelle in NV

We would make good quilting buddies. I'm slow as molasses.
Debra in VA
See my quilts athttp://community.webshots.com/user/debplayshere

LOL! :-) :-) Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Michelle in NV

Weight to Yardage hesira Yarn 4 May 12th 07 01:37 PM
Question about earrings and weight Martha Polymer Clay 9 March 18th 07 07:23 PM
Ot with official summer time declared , summer projevts come to mind. Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 12 April 2nd 05 10:35 PM
quilt progress and a quilt story..a bit long, and with a question CNYstitcher Quilting 4 September 30th 03 03:48 AM
chain weight question m4816k Jewelry 0 August 9th 03 07:28 PM