Woodfire with Willem Gebben.

Old March 25th 08, 05:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Lee In Mashiko, Japan

Default Woodfire with Willem Gebben.

Hey folks, I listed this before NCECA but I thought I should once
again. Also, the new news is that I will be Willem's assistant.
He will give a slide show on woodkilns he visited while he studied in
England. He is interested in "Green processes", like wood firing to
reduce the impact on the

So please attend if you'd like to meet!

Woodfire with NCC Sales Gallery Artist Willem Gebben

Join Wisconsin potter Willem Gebben for a bracing spring woodfire
workshop at NCC's woodkiln in Taylor's Falls and be introduced to a
variety of processes, techniques, and philosophies related to
woodfiring-from loading and kiln placement and the exploration of a
variety of clays and glazes to experimentation with various "low tech"
and "green" methods of woodfiring. In addition to hands-on glazing
and firing instruction, participants will have the opportunity to talk
about their own work, view slides of Gebben's work and receive hints
and suggestions for building your own wood kiln.

Participants should bring 20 - 40 bisqued pots of various sizes in
stoneware and porcelain clay bodies appropriate for a cone 10 wood-
fire. A selection of NCC glazes and flashing slips will be available
at the wood kiln site. (For those enrolled in a regular spring class
at NCC, glazes will be available at the beginning of the quarter.)

Willem Gebben received his B.S. from Grand Valley State University in
Allendale, Michigan and later apprenticed under potter David Eeles at
Shepherds Well Pottery in Mosterton, Dorset, England. While in
England and Scotland, he visited and researched various wood kilns and
later built several Raku and high temperature wood kilns on his own.
His wood-fired stoneware and porcelain pots have been exhibited
throughout Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan and were published in The
Art of Contemporary American Pottery (Krause Publications) and Wood-
fired Ceramics-Contemporary Practices (University of Pennsylvania
Press). Additionally, his work can be found in NCC's sales gallery
and he is part of the Western Wisconsin Pottery Tour, an annual fall
tour of Wisconsin ceramic artists' studios. Of his work, Gebben says,
"I feel it is important for me to work within the traditional role of
potter, which is to say, making pots that are meant to be used. It is
this aspect of craft that separates it from the other arts, such as
painting or sculpture."

Friday, April 25, 10 am - 9 pm: Workshop introduction, glazing,
Saturday, April 26, 8 am - completion: Fire off kiln with wood
Tuesday, April 29, 5 - 9 pm: Unload kiln and conclude workshop
Fee: $325 (NCC members $300)
Space is limited, so reserve a spot early.

--
Lee, a Mashiko potter in Minneapolis
http://mashikopots.blogspot.com/

"Ta tIr na n-óg ar chul an tI--tIr dlainn trina chéile"--that is, "The
land of eternal youth is behind the house, a beautiful land fluent
within itself." -- John O'Donohue