What to take to a quilt retreat?

Old October 21st 05, 12:23 AM
Scorpio

Default What to take to a quilt retreat?

Hi Ann,

sounds like a wonderfull weekend! I would love to hear from yo
(privately) about what retreat you went on/ what quild? I'm sort of
new to MD and haven't found a home away from home for my machine!

Thanks,
NS

ann wrote:
Hi DeNise,

I just went to my first quilt retreat this past weekend! Had a blast.
Here is what I found is nice to take. Towel, sheets, quilt,
flashlight, mug for coffee/tea, creamer, sugar or sugar substitute,
rotary cutter (take extra blades), scissors (one for fabric, one for
paper), sewing machine with lots of bobbins, extra needles for machine,
little fan, a light, a log extension cord with surge protector and lots
of space for plugs, iron, iron pad, toiletries in a bag or box, candy
to share, soda or bottled water and cup to drink, fabric, thread, and
any other quilting supplies you may need. Also take some hand work if
you have it to pass the time when you get tired of the machine and want
to take a break. Oh and the best thing I found and used a lot is one
of the thread snips caddies to put your snips and bits of thread into.
There is a great free pattern for one at
http://www.janome.com/project_show.php?id=449
It is really useful.

Gets lots of sleep before you go because you will want to stay up all
night stitching and talking with the ladies! Just relax and have a
great time!!!!

Ann in Maryland

Old October 21st 05, 01:20 AM
Denise in NH

Bring earplugs, in case your room mate snores. Don't ask me how I know.

Denise

Old October 21st 05, 04:27 AM
KJ

We've never shared a room, have we Denise???????

Kathyl
remove "nospam" before mchsi

Old October 21st 05, 04:32 AM
Ginger in CA

I went to a local retreat 3 1/2 yrs ago. I moved from that area. In 3
weeks I am heading back to go to another one of their retreats. I
attended the first one they ever had, now they do 4 or 5 a year! I will
get a room at a nearby motel so I can have some alone time when I need
it (not comfortable being around a lot of noise/chitchat/stimulation
and need the break)

Prewash any fabric you might take. If you have a specific project(s),
try to get as much of it prepared ahead of time with cutting etc. You
may not have to take your own ironing board/iron if someone else will
share theirs ) Do you want to create a theme or decorate the space
you are alloted? [I did a camping theme, including my teddy bears and
their own "forest"] Portable light. Chair pad that you like, or even
chair if you have a special one. Fuzzy slippers. Sweats and T-shirt to
relax while you sew/gab/sew/eat/sew.
Patterns/magazines/fabric you want to trade or give away. Extension
cords and surge protectors. Stretchy sweats for the last day when you
have eaten chocolate 'til you almost burst and get fed yummy food with
not enough excercise. A book to read when you want down time. Don't
forget if you have any special diet needs to pack what you will require
in the chance your retreat manager didn't get the message. Your own
place setting.

The retreat I am heading to offers you a choice of fat quarter
exchange, block exchange. We each sign up to bring something for
potluck dinner on Fri, and the shop owner does his
famous-in-those-parts Saturday night soup supper, along with homemade
bread.

Have fun! Try to leave any worries at home, and be prepared to laugh
yourself silly, sew, talk, make new friends, learn new things, and head
home trying to figure out how you can arrange to do this again!

Have a peace-filled/piece-filled day,
Ginger

Old October 21st 05, 05:10 AM
Irrational Number

ann wrote:
Here is what I found is nice to take. Towel, sheets, quilt,
flashlight, mug for coffee/tea, creamer, sugar or sugar substitute,

What is the flashlight for?

-- Anita --
Old October 21st 05, 03:02 PM
Pat in Virginia

Flash light is good if the activities are in separate buildings.
I always take a small flash light on trips. I like to have one in
my purse on planes. In hotel, it would be handy in case of power
outage, or in case of fire. On topic: it is useful to help find
dropped pins and needles. Finally, it is essential for finding
the chocolate in the middle of the night! HTH.
BTW: our 'cousins over the water' call a flash light a torch!
PAT, translator to the stars, in VA/USA

Old October 21st 05, 03:12 PM
Julia in MN

Irrational Number wrote:
ann wrote:

Here is what I found is nice to take. Towel, sheets, quilt,
flashlight, mug for coffee/tea, creamer, sugar or sugar substitute,

What is the flashlight for?

-- Anita --

So you don't disturb your roommate(s) by turning on the light if you
have to get up during the night.

I also take a small nightlight whenever I travel. I find it is helpful
to have one in the bathrooms of retreat centers, hotels, etc.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old October 21st 05, 03:30 PM
frood

There are nightlights in various hotels between here and IN. I remember to
take them to the hotel, but always forget to take them with me when I leave!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old October 21st 05, 03:58 PM
Sally Swindells

Used to be flash light when I was small, but somewhere along the line
it changed. Heard a lady ask for 'slacks' in a clothes shop the other
day, and the assistant just looked blank, it had to be explained to
her that it meant trousers.

Another word that has gone seems to be hiking, to be superceded by
walking. Suppose its because that is the only sort of walking people
do - either all or nothing, as DD once said 'I walk in the car'!

Also we never look at the ocean - its always the sea - even the
Atlantic Ocean is downgraded to sea!

Actually, if you think of it, it is all simplifying words so that they
become ordinary. What a pity.
--
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~

Old October 21st 05, 04:44 PM
Betty in Wi

I talked about slacks in front of my grandchildren........same reaction.
They call them pants.

Betty