OT-yahoo---my saga, just getting it off my chest

Old January 28th 04, 03:29 AM
nzl*

Default OT-yahoo---my saga, just getting it off my chest

i'm really ticked off.
waaaaay back in sept i had a major influx of spam that went from a few that
were easily dealt with to over 300 a day. it was all i could do to keep
deleting them til i could find a solution.
as an act of desperation i dropped all my yahoo groups in hopes that it
would fix the problem.
i was at that time moderating on two groups, both with i help set up
initially. when i got the problem sorted out i re-sub'd my groups and
emailed the owners from yahoo explaining what happened, assuming this wasnt
a big problem and i'd be have moderator status again.
this was fine with no problem at all in one group infact was done without me
asking or explaining...i guess it was a trust issue, as i'd not do such a
thing as a normal rule.
the other group, the one i read online everyday(as i dont work full time),
every post and approved (after checking) most of the new members, i never
even got so much as a reply to my explanation and feeling rather stupid over
it all and figureing the owner had her reasons, didnt want me to be a
moderator again, so i didnt follow up on it.
i continued, as i have always done on all my groups or on usenet, helping
anyone with info, urls etc whenever i thought i could.

this group had a huuuuuuge lot of new members in january, virtually doubling
the membership up from 500 to 1000+.
this increased the number of posts and a few too many were those 'me too',
'hi', 'oh i live just round the corner from you' type posts. some pointless
and some should have been sent privately off group. i thought there needed
to be something said to the group so i posted such.

wellllllll, seems 3 people didnt like my 'tone', geez, i was nice as i could
be, well i thought i was anyhow. they emailed the group owner.
she replied to me saying she'd not read the posts yet but would and let me
know bout it. she didnt find anything wrong with my 'tone' and advised the 3
people as well.
she also said she was not happy that i left the group without so much as a
wee email to let her know. i told her i had and yahoo must have eaten
it...not my fault if that happens. how was i to know.
she said she discussed this with some others that are not on the group and
decided i was not reliable so when/if she felt the need for a moderator she
would ask within the group. well, not much i could do bout that but i did
not like being called unreliable....as i'm not.

i've had and continue to have other group members email me offlist about
different things both quilting and group related asking for some assistance.
i give that happily and as best i can considering i'm not moderating any
longer.
i did just that the other day when a post to the group pointed out an
attachment that arrived with the digest and as we all know these can
sometimes be fatal for computers, she didnt open but also deleted the digest
without reading at all...
i replied to the group that i'd check it out and see if it was anything to
be worried about. i did that and replied to the group again about 15mins
later that all was ok , no harm done but i still didnt know what the
attachment was.
i did however find the attachment was in the last post from the owner of the
list and though i did not say this in my reply to the group, i did email the
owner asking what it was and saying the group needed to be told it was
nothing to worry about.
then i get a reply from her, with neither 'jeanne' at the top nor her name
at the bottom and what sounded to me a bit snarky saying...
its nothing to worry about, i can tell the group without your intervention
thank you very much....
or words to that effect.
well, i can tell you i'm not a happy camper. what did i do that warrants
such a reply.
i also had, 3 people email me privately asking what the attachment
was...seems most still think i'm a moderator as i've been there from the
beginning and how can they know any differently.
i'm just not happy about this at all.
cant wait to hear what reply i get to my reply to her snarky reply.
i will however continue to advise any group at any level when i think its
needed.
ok, you can all go to bed now as so many of you are snoring, geeeeez.
just needed to get that off my chest, thanks.
hugz all round the bestest cyberquilting frame!!
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

Old January 28th 04, 04:01 AM
Sharon Harper

((((hugs)))) jeanne. Some people just don't know do they? Jeez!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under) (feeling put out on
your behalf)

Old January 28th 04, 07:45 AM
nzl*

thanks, sharon.
i'm still waiting for a reply to my reply to her snarkiness.
why do i think she'll not bother.
maybe its too hot or rainy where she is.
its disappointing as shes a downunder quilter too.
i guess either she just doesnt like/know me well enough or doesnt like kiwis
or transplanted americans, who knows but it has upset me that shes being so
weird over all this. being rude/snarky doesnt become anyone and its not
necessary in this issue.
i'll live thru it though, btdt before.
hey, maybe she replied and yahoo ate it too.
hugz,
jeanne
--
http://community.webshots.com/user/nzlstar
real reply is san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Sharon Harper" wrote...

Old January 28th 04, 07:30 PM
nana2b

Sometimes I think that because people can't see eachother face to face they
are a bit more nasty. Sorry for your hurt feelings, it is their loss.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old January 28th 04, 08:00 PM
KittyG

I think that's true Linda. Jeanne, I think it's big of you to keep helping
people in the group and value their friendship in spite of all this. That's
really what counts.

kitty in phx

--
Remove "s" and "i" in email to respond.
http://community.webshots.com/user/kittykatchee
"nana2b" wrote in message
Sometimes I think that because people can't see eachother face to face

they
are a bit more nasty. Sorry for your hurt feelings, it is their loss.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

question about yahoo group "files" Marisa2 Beads 3 June 27th 04 12:48 AM
? about yahoo groups Karleen/Vibrant Jewels Beads 7 June 8th 04 09:53 AM
Yahoo! Messenger Mary Rurup Beads 7 August 21st 03 01:06 AM
AD: Bali Silver 10% Off for Yahoo Group Members Nicole Weltch Beads 0 August 1st 03 09:25 PM