ready to assemble!

Old November 21st 11, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

Default ready to assemble!

The quilting is finished on my latest quilt, and I am ready to begin
assembling it! This is going to be a BIG quilt -- 9 feet by 9 feet --
and has 81 blocks, each with 72 pieces of fabric, all pieced and
quilted by hand (stitch-in-the-ditch). No piece in a block is larger
than 2" or smaller than 1", and there are scads of HST. There are 25
pieces to assemble, 16 with 4 blocks, 8 with 2 blocks, and 1 with a
single block. I have the card table set up in the living room with
cutting mat and ruler and cutter ready, plus the stitching stuff. I
imagine I'll have the TV or DVD busy for a couple of months . . .
Old November 21st 11, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

This sounds a mammoth task Mary! I might be faced with such a task when
I finish all the components of the altar cloths I am about to set out on
- drawings all done; thinking all done; practice pieces done; fabric all
bought (though I may change one) - I really must start it for real!
..
In message
, Mary
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old November 21st 11, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Trish Brown

Mary wrote:
The quilting is finished on my latest quilt, and I am ready to begin
assembling it! This is going to be a BIG quilt -- 9 feet by 9 feet --
and has 81 blocks, each with 72 pieces of fabric, all pieced and
quilted by hand (stitch-in-the-ditch). No piece in a block is larger
than 2" or smaller than 1", and there are scads of HST. There are 25
pieces to assemble, 16 with 4 blocks, 8 with 2 blocks, and 1 with a
single block. I have the card table set up in the living room with
cutting mat and ruler and cutter ready, plus the stitching stuff. I
imagine I'll have the TV or DVD busy for a couple of months . . .

Wow! It sounds so daunting when someone else writes it! Hope you have a
great time with all the doings. I like listening to classical music
while I'm quilting. It keeps me calm and reduces the likelihood of 'god
spots' in my work. ;D

I'm just in the middle of a similar (although not as complicated) piece.
It's a Grandmother's Fan with eight blades of Astor Manor pink prints in
a 9x9 block setting with cream sashing. I'll be quilting as I go but
want to piece all the blocks before I do that. I'm foundation piecing
onto light interfacing for ease and it's going fairly quickly. We'll see...

LOL! Recent talk of pastels vs strong colours has me smiling. All my
quilts so far have been in deep, dark, strong colours. This one is for
my DMIL and *so* out of character for me, especially the pink (not my
favourite). I have to say, though, the selection of colours in the range
of prints is very, very pretty and has grown on me while I've worked on
it. I've added a little strip of narrow guipure lace around the 'hubs'
of my fans and this has made the pretty-factor even better.

When I finish this quilt, I've got another already cut out for my
sister. It's horse-flavoured on one side (just simple 10" squares of
horse prints with black sashing) and the 'backing' (not sure which side
she'll prefer) will be similar squares in alternate scarlet and cream
gilded ginkgo prints (also with black sashing).

As a relative beginner, I'm only just finding out how addicting this
quilting lurk really is. Whew! All the colours and plans in my head!

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Old November 22nd 11, 12:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 07:30:46 -0800 (PST), Mary
wrote:

The quilting is finished on my latest quilt, and I am ready to begin
assembling it! This is going to be a BIG quilt -- 9 feet by 9 feet --
and has 81 blocks, each with 72 pieces of fabric, all pieced and
quilted by hand (stitch-in-the-ditch). No piece in a block is larger
than 2" or smaller than 1", and there are scads of HST. There are 25
pieces to assemble, 16 with 4 blocks, 8 with 2 blocks, and 1 with a
single block. I have the card table set up in the living room with
cutting mat and ruler and cutter ready, plus the stitching stuff. I
imagine I'll have the TV or DVD busy for a couple of months . . .

Wow, that sounds huge - and very interesting! Looking forward to
seeing a picture of it when it's done!

-Irene
Old November 22nd 11, 11:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

If it weren't for being a quilter myself, I'd call you splendidly
crazy.
Can't wait for the photo!
Roberta in D