To read or not to read ... that is the question.

Old September 6th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default To read or not to read ... that is the question.

I keep seeing posts that say ... 'do not
read this or that.' Those posts use up
more time and effort than the supposedly
'bad' posts, which I usually do not get
anyhow! Do we have to 'discuss' these ad
infinum? Maybe the less said the better?
Could we just silently ignore what we
don't like and move on?
Wondering in VA/ PAT
Old September 6th 06, 08:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Pat I agree. These folks are obviously getting their jollies from our
outrage and shockedness. (is that a word?) If you want to know the
truth, I find it hysterical that the troll has actually gone to the
trouble to put quilting into the smut. Is this a new genre of
literature being born? Quilt Smut....they'll be studying it in
literature classes 40 years from now. LOL. But I agree that the best
way to stop the t rolls is to ignore them completely. They thrive on
attention and shock.

Sunny

Old September 7th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 14:39:30 -0400, Pat in Virginia
wrote:

I keep seeing posts that say ... 'do not
read this or that.' Those posts use up
more time and effort than the supposedly
'bad' posts, which I usually do not get
anyhow! Do we have to 'discuss' these ad
infinum? Maybe the less said the better?
Could we just silently ignore what we
don't like and move on?
Wondering in VA/ PAT

You said it, Pat. It's plenty easy enough to tell by the author
column of a news reader program that it is the troll and not a usual
poster. Kill files also help in avoiding reading the obnoxious posts.
I'm not sure why some of the regular posters keep opening the troll's
posts and then calling such attention to them. After all, it is just
a first year college student, away from home for the first time in his
or her life, trying to cause a stir. I think it's truly pitiful since
obviously the child can't think of anything better to do for fun than
try to harass other people while remaining in hiding. It's rather
like a schoolboy with a pea shooter firing it at grown-ups while they
aren't looking. That student really needs to go outside his or her
room and have some real fun with other students but is either too
lazy, or too afraid of face to face meetings with people, to do so.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 7th 06, 03:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Debra wrote:
It's plenty easy enough to tell by the author
column of a news reader program that it is the troll and not a usual
poster.

It's not always that easy. I use Mozilla Thunderbird. In the "Sender"
column, I see the screen names, not the e-mail ID; for example, messages
from me say "Julia in MN", yours shows up as "Debra". The recent troll
used screen names of some of the regulars around here, so it was hard to
tell from that. However, when I opened a troll message, I could see that
the e-mail address in the "From" field was unfamiliar, so I could choose
at that point to go on to the next message. When I did come across a
"troll" message, it was easy to set up a filter so that I wouldn't see
another one from the same e-mail.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old September 7th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

When I see the first few words of one, I simply think 'ho-hum', click 'block
sender' and move on. I agree with Pat. It's just not worth anything more.
Polly

Old September 7th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 21:25:24 -0500, Julia in MN
wrote:

Debra wrote:
It's plenty easy enough to tell by the author
column of a news reader program that it is the troll and not a usual
poster.

It's not always that easy. I use Mozilla Thunderbird. In the "Sender"
column, I see the screen names, not the e-mail ID; for example, messages
from me say "Julia in MN", yours shows up as "Debra". The recent troll
used screen names of some of the regulars around here, so it was hard to
tell from that. However, when I opened a troll message, I could see that
the e-mail address in the "From" field was unfamiliar, so I could choose
at that point to go on to the next message. When I did come across a
"troll" message, it was easy to set up a filter so that I wouldn't see
another one from the same e-mail.

Julia in MN

Sorry Julia. Every Usenet reader I've used over the years has shown
the whole address of the sender in the from column so I thought all of
them did. I consider that important information as it often
determines if I download the message or just delete the header from
the start.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at
Old September 8th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Witchy Stitcher

Agent shows these messages with a size of 0 lines.

Old September 8th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Love those blocking thingys!! I think of them as "killfiles" but don't know
the technical term. Sure does cut out a lot of spam, porn and other
objectionable material.

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

ink.net...