please invent this gadget

Old October 18th 06, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Default please invent this gadget

OK, I'm machine quilting, everything going along just fine. Stippling along
the border, bobbin runs out. Put a new one in and keep sewing. Finished the
border and had a look at the back for bloopers. Aargh! All the bit with the
new bobbin, about 3/4 of the entire border, looked like loopy needle-punch
on a string. Obviously I either threaded the bobbin wrong, or there was a
bit of lint in there to muck up the tension. So as I was ripping out all
that work, I thought how great it would be if my machine had a warning
(flashing red light, loud siren?) whenever the back of the work looked like
crap. After all, it gives me a "low bobbin" icon. So would somebody please
invent one?

I am still amazed that the machine just kept stitching along with no protest
whatsoever, and the top side looked great!

--
Roberta in D

Old October 18th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I'm dealing with this too Roberta. Maybe not as loopy as yours, but
certainly not nice to look at. I've been machine quilting on a baby quilt
for a gift. I checked tension on a practice piece, but I think my
machine/hand speed made the tension goofy. I NEED a BSR!!!!
KJ

Old October 18th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I wouldn't dare invent one for an ugly back of my work (even if I
could). I would go mad from all the buzzing or flashing lights it would
emit g
..
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes
OK, I'm machine quilting, everything going along just fine. Stippling along
the border, bobbin runs out. Put a new one in and keep sewing. Finished the
border and had a look at the back for bloopers. Aargh! All the bit with the
new bobbin, about 3/4 of the entire border, looked like loopy needle-punch
on a string. Obviously I either threaded the bobbin wrong, or there was a
bit of lint in there to muck up the tension. So as I was ripping out all
that work, I thought how great it would be if my machine had a warning
(flashing red light, loud siren?) whenever the back of the work looked like
crap. After all, it gives me a "low bobbin" icon. So would somebody please
invent one?

I am still amazed that the machine just kept stitching along with no protest
whatsoever, and the top side looked great!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 18th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I probably watch the back of my stitching as much as I watch the top -
probably because they're usually for babies and very often, babies prefer
the backing. Plus - we wouldn't want any tiny fingers or wee little toes
getting caught in a loose, loopy stitch. BSR is calling to me too. Has
anyone given the new Pfaff with their own version of regulating stitch a
test drive? Polly

"Patti" wrote in message
I wouldn't dare invent one for an ugly back of my work (even if I could).
I would go mad from all the buzzing or flashing lights it would emit g
.
In message , Roberta Zollner
writes

Old October 18th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G.

I have 3 friends who purchased the stitch regulator for the Pfaff. 2 have
returned it and the 3rd hasn't gotten hers yet. One of the 2 did buy the
Bernina (she is also keeping her Pfaff). It seems the Pfaff was a poor
imitation. I did try the Bernina and it wasn't bad. I wouldn't trade in my
Pfaff for it but if I was in the market for a new machine to use for
quilting, I would definitely give it serious consideration.

I would suggest trying them both on an actual quilt sandwich before
choosing.

Laurie G. in CA (who really likes to free-motion quilt without special
stuff!)

link.net...

Old October 18th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

As a kid, I did a bunch of cross stitch. My mum one time kindly told me
that her needlework teacher had insisted that the back had to look as
good as the front (not the same, just _very_ regular). Once in a blue
moon I still pick up some cross stitch, and I'm still anal about getting
the back perfect...

Now, my quilt backs are usually decent, but not perfect. Frankly, my pet
hatred is the piece of fluff which shows right _after_ you cleaned the
whole thing inside and out and screws up the tension!

Hanne in London

Old October 18th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judy

That's the same thing that my DGM told me when she taught me to embroider
(as a 5-6 yr. old). Drove me nuts at the time, cuz the front looked okay.
But, like you, I still have to have a neat back. Amazing the things that
stick with us over the years G
ME-Judy

Old October 18th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Yep, I recall that when DM taught me to
embroider. It makes one a bit more
careful in workmanship. I do have one
'relative' who embroiders who just does
not understand why I suggested the front
be as tidy as the back ... but then she
does not think it is necessary for all
the X stitches to cross in the same
direction. C'est la vie!
PAT in VA/US

Old October 18th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I was taught just the same with embroidery - and practised it for years.
However, now, with my quilting ... ... g
I suppose it's because I mostly make wallhangings!
..
In message , Judy
writes

Old October 18th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Vikki In WA State

Default invention

Maybe we could glue a little mirror to the bed of the machine, with just a
small movement be able to see the back of the quilt. Or mount one of those
small mirrors designed to fit inside your hall locker at school. I think
they are magnetic.

--
Vikki in WA State

Bias binding gadget Sarah Dixon Quilting 13 August 14th 06 04:25 PM
New Knitting ?crochet Gadget !!!! Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 6 April 24th 06 05:53 PM
stitch-counting gadget Laura J Yarn 8 August 5th 05 04:05 PM
I just love my new gadget! (only slightly OT) Su/Cutworks Beads 5 October 19th 04 11:18 AM
If I invent a stitch, can I name it? Laurie Yarn 7 July 23rd 03 03:58 PM