Cost of Needlework Patterns

Old April 20th 05, 06:04 AM
emerald

-
Ok let me throw this out ( it's been an idea that I've been tossing around
in my head for distribution of patterns)--
What if after paying say $6.00 for a pattern/patterns you could down load
the pattern so that it printed once directly to your printer. And we'll
use a finished design size of say 6" x 9" for that price.
While it would cost you the printer time, ink, and paper you would get the
chart/charts, stitching instructions and diagrams.

The other thought I had was a pdf document that you could down load and
read with the adobe reader.

Quin at Odd and Ins has been doing this for several years. The charts are
sent to you in your choice of pdf (Adobe), PCStitch7 or "Great Big Chart"
format, by e-mail or standard mail. E-mail costs less.
www.oddsandinsonline.com

not affiliated etc.

emerald

Old April 20th 05, 12:13 PM
F.James Cripwell

"Dorsey Clement" ) writes:
(snip)
The other thought I had was a pdf document that you could down load and read
with the adobe reader.
(snip)

I have a computer geeker friend working on the direct print solution right
now. And we're looking at which computer design program to use that would do
that on just about every windows and possibly Mac format out there back to
say windows 98/ Mac 4. Printing cost are outrageous. And this would be a
solution to keeping prices down.

What do you all think...............

Dorsey in VA

Some weeks ago, I had an idea which I have not been able to think
through properly. Probably, being male, I have difficulty relating to
most patterns I seen in my LNS. I have taken to stitching
computer-generated patterns, with all their multitudes of confetti
stitches. I realize that such patterns are not for everyone, but maybe
there are others like myself.
I often find pictures when I am surfing the www, and take a quick
look to see if they might make a good pattern. Usually, they dont; they
are too big when there is enough detail in the end product, but
occasionally they do. I use Pattern Maker, and there is a free download,
which enables anyone to print out a pattern stored as the *.pat file of
Pattern Maker. I can easily send this pattern to anyone, and they can
print it up for free. There are also the patterns I have produced for
myself, and which I will only stitch once. So far as I am concerned,
anyone can have these for free. I dont "own" any part of the pattern, and
as long as I am not making any money, I dont think there is any copyright
violation.
However, precisely how one would go about organizing anything like
this, I have no idea.
--
Jim Cripwell.
From Canada. Land of the Key Bird.
Old April 20th 05, 01:09 PM
Phylis Maurer

My reluctance in doing what you suggest is the fact that technology changes
sooooooooooooo fast. This approach has a very short "shelf life." Most of
the material I'm researching (for ethnic stuff) comes from books printed 50
years ago. How can a designer cope with that? Or do designs die that
quickly?

Phyllis Maurer

"Dorsey Clement" wrote in message
Ok let me throw this out ( it's been an idea that I've been tossing around
in my head for distribution of patterns)--
What if after paying say $6.00 for a pattern/patterns you could down load
the pattern so that it printed once directly to your printer. And we'll
use a finished design size of say 6" x 9" for that price.
While it would cost you the printer time, ink, and paper you would get the
chart/charts, stitching instructions and diagrams.

The other thought I had was a pdf document that you could down load and
read with the adobe reader.

No this is not just a what if..........I too have looked at the price of
charts and was astounded at how much they have gone up. And I was very
disappointed that many have very few stitches of the newest "toys" as far
as fibers go included in the designs. While I mostly design Hardanger
with beads actually woven into the design--If I used (for example) YLI
silk floss most-- if not the entire design was stitched in that fiber.

I have a computer geeker friend working on the direct print solution right
now. And we're looking at which computer design program to use that would
do that on just about every windows and possibly Mac format out there back
to say windows 98/ Mac 4. Printing cost are outrageous. And this would
be a solution to keeping prices down.

What do you all think...............

Dorsey in VA

"lizard-gumbo" wrote in message
Phylis Maurer wrote:

Interesting discussion, which gives a relatively new designer a lot to
think about. My work - ethnic needlework - is off the beaten track, so
my comments may not represent a typical designers viewpoint.

Funny you should say that. I'm heading into the needlework version of
Arabian/Moorish/Islamic/Middle Eastern art arena myself, and have found
this to be a fascinating discussion.

I'm still in the experimentation stage and I don't even have a clue how
to go about finding a printer or distributor. Now I'm just wondering if
I should self-promote.

--
lizard-gumbo

Old April 20th 05, 02:11 PM
Brenda

Dorsey Clement wrote:
[...]

Do you mean it can only be printed and not saved on a hard drive or
portable drive? I wouldn't like that since I have only a black laser
printer. I'd want to save a copy and take it somewhere to get the
"cover picture" of the finished model printed in color. I would expect
to receive a color picture of a stitched model along with the chart and
instructions and not just a computer-generated estimate of what a
stitched model would look like.

There are several freebies available in pdf format. That format, when
used for a view/print/save-only document, is quite backwards-compatible.
I would guess the newer, more-interactive pdf files could allow (or
will soon allow) users to stitch while sitting at the computer and
completed stitches could be "highlighted" or "cross-off" on screen.

By selling patterns directly in this manner, you would have a database
of who is interested in specific styles. This could be a marketing tool
(you would have to allow an opt-out) whenever you finish the next
pattern in a series or do something in a similar style. It would also
be wonderful to be able to send out an email to customers who ordered a
specific pattern if an error was found on the chart. RealArcade keeps
track of what games each customer has purchased and the customer can
download the same game again for free anytime for one year. Using that
same technology (without the time limit) would allow you to replace the
download file on your site with the corrected file, notify customers,
and let the customers who bought the original pattern get the corrected
one for free.

--
Brenda
Old April 20th 05, 02:18 PM
Brenda

I like it when designers offer an accessories pack for hard-to-find
items used on a chart. The only major problem with this is it limits
the stitcher to using certain counts of fabric in order to use the
fibers/embellishments. A higher-count fabric could be used if there are
only special fibers and there would just be some fibers left over.
Embellishments pretty much stick the stitcher with using whatever the
designer chooses. Then again, that is true whether or not the
embellishments are made readily available with the pattern unless the
embellishments come in different sizes and the stitcher is given some
kind of conversion guide.

If the design also looks great in DMC, be sure to include the DMC
numbers and let the customer choose which option he/she wants to stitch.
You will want to note on the chart that DMC-Eterna conversions are not
exact so no one can say you didn't warn them if they try to mix-and-match.

LizzieB. wrote:
Here's the thing...one of my designs (one I've completely stitched
before), I want to do completely in Eterna Silk (with beads or
specialized charms) and it's kinda hard to come by, so I was thinking of
kitting it or selling the thread/bead packs as a separate line item.

Mind, I don't like kits nor do I buy them (I usually wait until the
pattern only becomes available and if it never does, too bad). However,
for hard-to-find threads, I would like to offer it this way--as I think
it would be a convenience for the stitcher.

(On the other hand, it looked fabulous in plain old DMC and I've never
used silk before. Ever. I'm scared.)

--
Brenda
Old April 20th 05, 02:44 PM
lizard-gumbo

Brenda wrote:

If the design also looks great in DMC, be sure to include the DMC
numbers and let the customer choose which option he/she wants to stitch.
You will want to note on the chart that DMC-Eterna conversions are not
exact so no one can say you didn't warn them if they try to mix-and-match.

I was planning to do that; so maybe I could offer 1) a ground/silk
thread/bead/charm pack and 2) a thread/bead/charm pack and 3) a
bead/charm pack and 4) just the chart--for stitchers who like to control
their own destiny.

Great ideas, thanks.

I hadn't planned to offer the fabric, too (hadn't thought about it). I
originally stitched it on 32-count generic oatmeal color uneven weave
(comes off the bolt at Hobby Lobby) and decided it made the design too
small. This time I found the exact color ground I felt it should be,
and got it in 28-count.

This is what it (mostly) looks like (before making some really
significant changes):

http://www.adminsupportservices.com/edbanner.htm

I know this is probably not most people's cup of tea, and it's got some
complicated stitching instructions, but I think I can find a market for
these themes.

--
lizard-gumbo
Old April 20th 05, 03:11 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

While your thoughts are intriguing, the cost of printing on the computer
are tremendous. While the cost of printers has gone done considerably,
the cost of the ink is quite high. I just spent $90 to replace the
cartridges on my printer; my husband spent $115. And they don't last
long. So, while you may pay slightly less, you'll pay about as much for
printing it out yourself. Also, formatting for PDF is a cost factor
(the time to do it).

There's also the quandry of color reproduction. Most people don't go
through the motions to set their printers to reproduce exactly as
represented in a given file. (Forget the name of this procedure . . . I
have tried and gave up).

Dianne

Phylis Maurer wrote:

Interesting discussion, which gives a relatively new designer a lot to
think about. My work - ethnic needlework - is off the beaten track, so my
comments may not represent a typical designers viewpoint.

Funny you should say that. I'm heading into the needlework version of
Arabian/Moorish/Islamic/Middle Eastern art arena myself, and have found
this to be a fascinating discussion.

I'm still in the experimentation stage and I don't even have a clue how to
go about finding a printer or distributor. Now I'm just wondering if I
should self-promote.

--
lizard-gumbo

--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old April 20th 05, 04:54 PM
Jeanine3

There used to be a lady in either New Zealand or Australia who did this
though, her website no longer works. Her name is Gerry Buckley. Also at
places like patternsonline.com they do this as well. I like the idea but
it does invite some problems as probably Dianne can attest. (Her
needlework Journal is downloadable in .pdf format and I know there have
been some problems with the way the pages display, etc.) Designers would
have to have a computer savvy person to help them out and trouble-shoot
for all those people who had problems downloading/opening the
file/printing etc. It's a whole new ball game. :-)
Jeanine in Canada

Old April 20th 05, 05:01 PM
Joan E.

Dorsey Clement wrote:
Ok let me throw this out ( it's been an idea that I've been tossing
around in my head for distribution of patterns)-- What if after
paying say $6.00 for a pattern/patterns you could down load the
pattern so that it printed once directly to your printer. And we'll
use a finished design size of say 6" x 9" for that price.

PatternsOnline.com has been doing this for a few years. Their prices
are quite reasonable, IMO (I paid $3.95 for a pattern the above size),
they have a wide variety of contributing designers and styles (and
continue to add more--"New Pattern Thursdays"), and I haven't yet had a
problem with their patterns. Using the free PCStitch, you can print
them out in b&w symbols (my favorite), color symbols or color blocks.

No affiliation, yadayada.
Joan

Old April 20th 05, 05:02 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Jeanine3 wrote:
I like the idea but
it does invite some problems as probably Dianne can attest. (Her
needlework Journal is downloadable in .pdf format and I know there have
been some problems with the way the pages display, etc.)

There have been? Gee, I wish someone would let me know and tell me
exactly what display problems there are. That's a new one. :-) I've
gotten letters that there's errors on a page (wrong title/author), but
not any display problems.

My husband's the tech guru and sets these pages up for me in PDF. I
have to remake the html pages to fit, but as far as I know, and tests
we've done, there's not been display problems.

However, what I said earlier about printing costs and color matching
still holds true. If I had to actually print the magazine, you can bet,
without advertising dollars, it would cost a fortune. :-)

Dianne