Posting for discussion

Old January 14th 04, 11:54 AM
meijhana

Default Posting for discussion

I ran across this site, and although I like some of what she posted, some of
it, I just gritted my teeth...and *I* don't make beads yet.

http://www.spiritartworks.com/view/?pageID=133618

I am not posting it for people to argue with her, but to discuss the points
that she brought up. I think a *LOT* of the items are valid!

Mary

--
Joy multiplies when it is shared among friends, but grief diminishes with
every division. That is life.

Old January 14th 04, 01:20 PM
Karen_AZ

This missive was recently discussed on another list I'm on, and not terribly
well-received. Maybe I'm too nice, or too dense or something, but I think
MOST of her points were valid in at least her own context. Is it correct for
everyone? (Buyer or seller) No, probably not. But I certainly related to her
comments about endless scroll with the same beads over and over again (I
still shop for beads, too), and I think her remarks about sticking what
works for you are well-intentioned, too.

I also liked her "hints" about color and design. I don't know about the
other beadmakers, but there are times when my inner muse is napping and I'd
LOVE to have some buyers peering over my shoulder telling me what they'd
like to see next, or to see more of.

Some folks on that other list bristled at feeling like they were being told
what to do. All I can say is, the best way to make sales is to listen to
your potential customers. Without them, you don't have a business.

--
KarenK
www.desertdreameraz.com

Old January 14th 04, 01:39 PM
meijhana

That's kinda what I got the feeling of. But I didn't get the feeling so
much of "opinion" but of "NEGATIVITY". I wouldn't mind something like a
page opened up, where people could post a "I would like to see..."

Old January 14th 04, 02:42 PM
MargieK

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 03:54:27 -0800, "meijhana"
wrote:

http://www.spiritartworks.com/view/?pageID=133618

I am not posting it for people to argue with her, but to discuss the points
that she brought up. I think a *LOT* of the items are valid!

You're right, she does have *some* valid points. While I was reading
her diatribe, I started thinking about a few of the successful eBay
lampworkers I know (I don't pretend to know them all) and those pretty
much follow what Diane has put forth, excluding the price bit. I
don't think that lampwork artists should hold back just because their
beads are in demand and get high bids. I say enjoy it while it lasts
and may it last a long time! The artist is obviously doing something
right though I hope that the artist also remembers the jewelry maker
who really can't make jewelry from those high priced beads unless the
jeweler is lucky enough to get into a high-end gallery. Whatever,
that's not necessarily the bead artists' problem, is it?

I don't know if I have trouble reading for comprehension but did she
admit to shilling???? !!! I don't think that's a brilliant move on
her part but so be it.

You know there's a couple of things I've learned working in retailing
banking and that's to "kill them with kindness". I just don't see the
need to name names but then again I don't know her story and I'm not
exactly sure I want to based on that alone. If I hadn't looked at her
jewelry before reading, I'd probably write her off. Never the less,
she is a jewelry artist with something to say.

She apparently respects Kalera and Corina, she can't be all bad. g

--
Margie
http://snurl.com/2u8t

Old January 14th 04, 03:28 PM
Louis Cage

Seems to me she has some complaints with certain people and should take it
up with them. It is a long (I didn't read it all) and negative rant.
While she has a point about posting in categories that are not wholly
appropriate, it happens all the time on Ebay. I did a search under movies
for "glass" and got a lot of hits for people selling glass chess sets (like
in the XMen movie). It comes with the territory.
--
There are no mistakes, only unexplored techniques

Old January 14th 04, 03:58 PM
Diana Curtis

Techincally isnt shilling bidding to get the price up with the owners
knowlege and encouragement? A cooperative effort. What shes doing is just
bidding on stuff to get the price up, but not for her benefit, just for the
sellers.
Im not defending her. It seems like shes playing a silly game, and it
wouldnt bother me if she got stuck with some of those sets she doesnt care
for. hmm.. no... on second thought Id rather see those beads go for a good
price to someone who would treasure them instead.
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from MargieK
:

]I don't know if I have trouble reading for comprehension but did she
]admit to shilling???? !!! I don't think that's a brilliant move on
]her part but so be it.

she did, and it would serve her right if it backfired on her.

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
newest creations: http://www.vickijean.com/newest.html
-----------
The measure of the menace of a man is not what
hardware he carries, but what ideas he believes.-- Jeff Jordan

Old January 14th 04, 04:21 PM
Sjpolyclay

I ran across this site, and although I like some of what she posted, some of
it, I just gritted my teeth...and *I* don't make beads yet.

I responded the same way, Mary. She does have some valid points, but her style
of making them is rather sharp!!
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

Old January 14th 04, 04:42 PM
Kandice Seeber

Actually, I thought this article with her requests was mostly right on
target. A lot of these suggestions are just smart business. I'll discuss
them one by one -

Searching in the Handmade Lampwork category on ebay -
Searching the term "lampwork beads kiln annealed" is too limiting in my
opinion. I just search "annealed" in that category, and get almost all
artist beads. But it is a good idea for beadmakers to include the keywords
kiln annealed, lampwork, glass, and beads in their auction descriptions. If
your beads are not kiln annealed, though, don't include that. And there are
some lampworkers who are listing tools and such and forgetting to remove the
keywords that don't pertain to the listing. So when I search for annealed,
I still get some tools, etc. in the results, and that's annoying.

I totally agree with the thought about NOT putting jewelry in the Handmade
Lampwork category. (Or metal beads, or Czech pressed glass, etc.) It may be
made out of lampwork, but the subcategory is Loose Beads. There is another
section for jewelry, and people that make jewelry really should use that
category. The handmade lampwork category has way too many listings to have
to house jewelry as well, IMO. Plus, it is against ebay rules to list in
inappropriate categories.

As for the dichro cabochons - well there is no other place to list fused
glass pieces that don't have holes - i.e. beads, so I am not sure how to
solve that problem.

I thought it was mean of her to mention a specific artist when suggesting
the spacing out of items, but I do see her point about that. She's looking
at things from a buyer's perspective.

I also understand the suggestion to stick with what sells, but on the other
hand, we are artists, so we do like to branch out from time to time.

And I completely agree with offering your best beads to the buyers. (Unless
you specifically mark them as seconds, or wonkies, like some famous
beadmakers do). There are sooooo many listings on ebay. And (I know this
is not going to make me popular) there are a lot of beads listed that are
not very well done. I admit that I am very critical of what I see. But if
the beads aren't technically good, they will not sell for much anyway.
There are a lot of lampworkers frustrated with ebay right now, but what a
lot of people just don't get is that sometimes it's not their presentation,
their prices, their shipping costs or their auction terms - it's the BEADS.
Look inward. Perfect what you are doing. There's so much competition.
It's not like several years ago when there weren't very many lampworkers,
and lampwork beads were selling really well, no matter what. Now, the
stakes are higher, the quality is getting better. We, as artists, need to
constantly get better at what we do to stay in the game. Mishapen,
pointy-holed, dirty beads just don't cut it any more. Buyers are looking
for higher quality now, because they have more choices than ever before.

The stuff at the end about colors and themes is right on. If you're in
business to sell your artwork, you do need to keep up with the market's
demands when it comes to color, theme, shape, size and style. Artistic
expression *is* important. But let's face it - if you're selling your work
on ebay, you're doing it to make money, so if you're not paying any
attention to market research, and you don't sell your beads, you don't have
any reason to complain about it.

Keep in mind that her article is form the point of view of a jewelry artist
who buys beads. We beadmakers would do well to heed some or all of her
advice.

My opinions, of course, YMMV and all that. Flame on!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 14th 04, 04:47 PM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, me too! Sometimes I just have too many colors to choose from and need a
little artistic nudge.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old January 14th 04, 04:50 PM
Kandice Seeber

I didn't get a negative vibe at all. She's a smart businesswoman, and her
points seemed right on. Firm, yes - but those things really need to be
said, and I think sometimes people are afraid to say them for fear of being
though "not nice". The art business world is often not nice, but we need to
pay attention as artists, because often we just really want to do our own
thing, and then we complain when it's not received well in the market.
Hell, if I didn't need to make money doing this, I would do whatever I
wanted all the time, artistically. But I do, so I need to listen to the
buyers.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs