New gadget squee!

Old July 15th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default New gadget squee!

Got my new Gingher seam ripper today. (NAYY) These are my own
opinions, only.

It's a really cool shape that sits nicely in my right hand. It looks
ambi-dextrous, but I couldn't swear to that. The finish is smooothh
and touchy-feely.

I have played with a seam and some reverse stitching. It dealt with
both well. How nice it is to have a really sharp blade. It retracts
out of the way when not in use, which stopped me grabbing the wrong
end by mistake.

It's bigger than you might think, but I could hold it comfortably like
a kife or like a pen. Fingers were well away from the blade at all
times. Comes in a cool box, if that matters. (Actually I found that
difficult to get into, so it will go away into a cupboard, or maybe
even the re-cycling.)

So far, so good. But it looks and feels the biz. Solid without
weight. Not sure how it would deal with very titchy stitches, we'll
see. I could see me jamming it under my sewing machine to unsew long
seams. The tail of it is flat.

Small it ain't, but I'm not sending mine back. Nor the 3.5"
embroidery scissors that came in the same package.

Anyone else tried one?

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Old July 15th 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"Sartorresartus" wrote in message
Got my new Gingher seam ripper today. (NAYY) These are my own
opinions, only.

It's a really cool shape that sits nicely in my right hand. It looks
ambi-dextrous, but I couldn't swear to that.

Um, Nell? Not to put too fine a point on it, but how would a seam ripper be
different for a left handed person than one for a right handed person?

Cindy

Old July 16th 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Jul 15, 6:48*pm, "teleflora" wrote:
"Sartorresartus" wrote in message

Got my new Gingher seam ripper today. (NAYY) These are my own
opinions, only.

It's a really cool shape that sits nicely in my right hand. *It looks
ambi-dextrous, but I couldn't swear to that.

Um, Nell? *Not to put too fine a point on it, but how would a seam ripper be
different for a left handed person than one for a right handed person?

Cindy

If the cutting edge has a side of the blade with a scoop on it, and
the other side of the blade is flat, that might make it easier to use
for one hand and not the other. Just a guess. My constant favorite
seam ripper. is the standard Bernina seam ripper. That thing is so
sharp and able to dig out the smallest stitches, and seems to last
forever, before it gets dull. It can even be sharpened if you are so
inclined. And, it comes with that oh so desirable red Bernina Name on
it, even if you can't afford one of their machines, you can impress
all of your friends.

John

A hot new gadget polly esther Quilting 18 November 25th 06 05:50 PM
please invent this gadget Roberta Zollner Quilting 32 October 20th 06 06:24 PM
stitch-counting gadget Laura J Yarn 8 August 5th 05 04:05 PM
Can anyone identify this gadget? [email protected] Sewing 2 May 30th 05 04:50 PM
I just love my new gadget! (only slightly OT) Su/Cutworks Beads 5 October 19th 04 11:18 AM