Mixing materials

Old October 23rd 07, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
hh

Default Mixing materials

I am making my grandson an attic window quilt that is made out of fleece.

I want to add black sashing to the squares to add some depth. I don't have
any fleece but I do have some cotton material. Is it alright to mix the
fabrics? I am afraid the fleece may stretch anyway and probably wasn't a
very good choice for attic windows but the materal had frogs on it and he
wanted a frog in each window. Would the cotton sashes help the fleece hold
its shape better or would it just look awful?

What do you guys think?

Helen

Old October 23rd 07, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Arkansas

On Oct 22, 7:55 pm, "hh" wrote:
I am making my grandson an attic window quilt that is made out of fleece.

I want to add black sashing to the squares to add some depth. I don't have
any fleece but I do have some cotton material. Is it alright to mix the
fabrics? I am afraid the fleece may stretch anyway and probably wasn't a
very good choice for attic windows but the materal had frogs on it and he
wanted a frog in each window. Would the cotton sashes help the fleece hold
its shape better or would it just look awful?

What do you guys think?

Helen

Hi Helen! I just finished making my DGD a memory quilt with lots of
fleece squares in it. I found that iron on interfacing (not heavy,
just light to medium weight) placed on the backs of the fleece squares
really held thm straight while I was doing the quilting. Maybe you
could try that and then use a cotton sashing to help hold the overall
shape of the quilt in a rectangle.

Pat

Old October 23rd 07, 08:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I don't have any 'purist-type' concerns, really; but I do have one: how
will you be able to press it, with fleece in there?
If that isn't a concern for you, I think you might do better by
appliquéing black strips in a grid pattern to make the frames you wish
to make, rather than try piecing them.
Just a feeling - I haven't any experience with fleece in a quilt.
..
In message , hh
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 23rd 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

This isn't an heirloom for the ages, right? So do what you want, don't
worry, be happy. There are no quilt police.

Flannel might be a better fit than plain cotton, if you can find it in
black. Make sure you wash it first in hot water, dry in a hot dryer, to deal
with shrinking.

I've done fleece patchwork by cutting the pieces to the *finished*
measurement, butting the edges together, and sewing with the machine feather
stitch. So no seam allowances, no pressing or extra bulk. If you try a
practice piece with this technique and are satisfied with it, you might want
to find some black fleece after all.
Roberta in D

. ..

Old October 23rd 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

Just generally speaking, Helen, fleece stretches. Either your window panes
are going to 'grow' across the top and bottom or they're going to grow from
top to bottom. If you're good at fudging, this might not be a problem. If
you have trouble making the fleece behave, a quick trick would be to put a
length of plain old blue masking tape *beside* where you need to stitch.
Probably stitching through the tape would make it tedious to remove so don't
even think about doing that. Your grandson will love the quilt. Piecing
that stuff is a little strange to do but the results are almost good enough
to eat. Well. Maybe not, but they do feel wonderful. Polly

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
This isn't an heirloom for the ages, right? So do what you want, don't
worry, be happy. There are no quilt police.

Flannel might be a better fit than plain cotton, if you can find it in
black. Make sure you wash it first in hot water, dry in a hot dryer, to
deal with shrinking.

I've done fleece patchwork by cutting the pieces to the *finished*
measurement, butting the edges together, and sewing with the machine
feather stitch. So no seam allowances, no pressing or extra bulk. If you
try a practice piece with this technique and are satisfied with it, you
might want to find some black fleece after all.
Roberta in D

. ..

Old October 29th 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
hh

Thanks for all the help.

"hh" wrote in message
. ..
I am making my grandson an attic window quilt that is made out of fleece.

I want to add black sashing to the squares to add some depth. I don't
have any fleece but I do have some cotton material. Is it alright to mix
the fabrics? I am afraid the fleece may stretch anyway and probably
wasn't a very good choice for attic windows but the materal had frogs on
it and he wanted a frog in each window. Would the cotton sashes help the
fleece hold its shape better or would it just look awful?

What do you guys think?

Helen

Mixing Silk and cotton bungadora Needlework 18 January 25th 06 04:14 PM
mixing 2 block sizes Allyson Brown Quilting 22 August 14th 05 06:34 PM
Question about mixing dye lots Slinky Yarn 7 February 3rd 04 04:12 AM
Mixing Clay Rachel Polymer Clay 1 December 9th 03 11:57 PM
Glaze Mixing Ques. Doug Porter Pottery 4 September 15th 03 04:44 PM