my fabric printing bleeds

Old September 9th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter[_2_]

Default my fabric printing bleeds

I have done this many times, using the solution you dip the fabric in
before printing, and using my same HP deskjet printer. but it is
bleeding. tips? maybe didn't iron it enough? (

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...ome-and-garden

I guess I can always reprint it, send it, and ask my mom or my SIL to
sew it on top of the old one...
--

Dr.Quilter
drquilter at gmail dot com
Old September 9th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...RUGZG?vhost=ho
me-and-garden

I guess I can always reprint it, send it, and ask my mom or my SIL to
sew it on top of the old one...
--

I think it's always going to be a bit of a crap-shoot ... each year, ink
manufacturers change their formula, even slightly. Add to that the age of

I think the best you can do is to follow the directions obsessively, and
perhaps do them over at least twice. Lord knows, I know how you feel and
what you're going through! I've been in the business of dealing with inks,
printing, etc, for the past 17 years and everytime I get a piece printed
correctly, I kneel down and kiss the ground! :-)

Old September 10th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Liz A.

I have never had any luck with my HP printer printing on fabric. It
always bleeds for me too. However, both my old Epson and my new one
with the quick drying ink have always given me great results with
never any bleeding. These days you can buy a cheap inkjet printer for
$50. Fry's always has some good deals.

LizA.
Kent, WA
http://picasaweb.google.com/dittodog

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...213071lRUGZG?v...

drquilter at gmail dot comhttp://community.webshots.com/user/mvignali?vhost=community

Old September 10th 07, 11:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DrQuilter[_2_]

It looked fine when I finished it and stitched it to the quilt. Now my
brother sends me pics to post, and I find that glob - and he says he
hasn't even washed the quilt yet! I did it all, the soaking in the
liquid what is the name again?), the drying, the printing, the setting
the ink with the iron....

Old September 11th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

"DrQuilter" wrote in message
It looked fine when I finished it and stitched it to the quilt. Now my
brother sends me pics to post, and I find that glob - and he says he
hasn't even washed the quilt yet! I did it all, the soaking in the
liquid what is the name again?), the drying, the printing, the setting
the ink with the iron....

Well, I know this isn't a solution, but I still think it's gorgeous! I think
you did a great job!! Just remember: the ink/printing failed YOU, not
t'other way 'round!!!

I bought a bunch of white tees and some transfer paper for printing silly
things on tee-shirts with my kids (rainy day craft) and we followed the
directions obsessively. We were SEW careful ... but still, the next day, the
transfer, despite our following all the directions, using the correct
poly/cotton blend (recommended by the transfer manufacturer), all peeled
off!!

So I think it's a bit of a crapshoot ... we do our best, but formulations
change, new "coatings" or treatments for fabric are found, etc - just
overall, Murphy's Law! :-s

Old September 11th 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
SewVeryCreative

"Liz A." wrote in message
ups.com...
I have never had any luck with my HP printer printing on fabric. It
always bleeds for me too. However, both my old Epson and my new one
with the quick drying ink have always given me great results with
never any bleeding. These days you can buy a cheap inkjet printer for
$50. Fry's always has some good deals.

Epson's inks aren't just "quick-dry" they're also "semi-archival." Meaning,
if you print an outdoor sign on your Epson, they're guaranteed to last
longer than other companies' inks (they won't fade as quickly as the
others - but they're not formulated for extreme outdoor use, so they WILL
fade eventually). It's a proprietary ink formula.

One of the many, many, many, reasons why I only buy Epson printers anymore!
:-)

Old September 11th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

How old was your solution? I have heard that the solution has a shelf
life of one year. No scientific evidence, just hear say. You may have
purchased it recently but who knows how long the store had it in
stock. I am too lazy to soak my own so buy prepared sheets at the
quilt store. Of course I rarely finish a quilt in time to make a
formal label. Permanent pen on the back as we are driving to the
wedding is my usual technique. Glad it is OK to wrap a gift in a bag.
I can finish the binding, sign the quilt and stick it in a bag while
we are sitting in the parking lot of the church.

Susan