Finally Got Started Quilting

Old February 22nd 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
hmharris

Default Finally Got Started Quilting

I did it! I have started quilting the sandwich. Thanks for all of your
help. I went ahead and SITD first because I had moved all the safety pins
off the seams for that technique. I only have the vertical part done and
will finish the horizontal tomorrow.

Then hopefully will go to the grid. I think I will stick with the vertical
and horizontal using masking tape as a guide.

The only problem I had (other than looking like I was drunk and IN a ditch
with my seamlines) was several times the top thread would go through to the
backing. I am using cotton on the front and fleece on the back and I have
pinned the quilt to death so I hope it doesn't pucker. The top thread is
brown and the bobbin thread is turquoise. Every once in awhile I would hear
a click in the bobbin and a stitch would get stuck and I would manually turn
the sewing machine wheel. When I finished (and almost always near the end
of the row) there would be a few spots with tangled brown on the turquoise
backing. The first row I tore out. The others I trimmed up, brushed the
fleece over a little and said "FORGET IT". If I continue doing this, the
baby will be a year old before I get done.

But I am afraid it will make a mess on my binding and I will have to tear it
out because it will show so badly. I have fooled around with the tension
and it sews fine most of the time. Just about once or twice on every
vertical line. My machine is a Singer 9410 - school model and is not very
new but doesn't have much mileage on it. I really don't know.

I researched it a little on the internet and it said it could be the
tension, material, needle, climate, dust, good grief!

Again, thanks for all of your help. You are wonderful. I will post a pic
when I get done of my first!

Helen

Old February 22nd 07, 08:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Well done, Helen.

We all have a 'tangly' day once in a while!
..
In message , hmharris
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 22nd 07, 08:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

hmharris wrote:

I researched it a little on the internet and it said it could be the
tension, material, needle, climate, dust, good grief!

Again, thanks for all of your help. You are wonderful. I will post a pic
when I get done of my first!

Helen

Helen,

I've only once done a quilt with fleece on the back, but I seem to
remember that I had issues with fluff.

So, clean out your machine well (particularly the bobbin area), take of
the throat plate (is that what's it's called) and clean from that
direction too.

Also, you might try changing the needle - they do get worn :-)

If it is mostly towards the end of a line of quilting, think about
whether you do something different the go faster/slower, pull on the
quilt more or less etc.

But, yes, the fleece will fluff over some things. As long as it seems
solid and baby won't get caught in it, don't worry too much.

Hanne in London
Old February 22nd 07, 10:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Well done! Nothing ever gets finished if you don't start :-)

You are sewing a woven fabric together with a knit fabric (fleece), so I'd
guess you have some needle issues. Try a new needle, try some different
needles. Sometimes a microtex needle works well.
Roberta in D

. ..

Old February 22nd 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"hmharris" wrote:

The only problem I had (other than looking like I was drunk and IN a ditch
with my seamlines) was several times the top thread would go through to the
backing. I am using cotton on the front and fleece on the back and I have
pinned the quilt to death so I hope it doesn't pucker. The top thread is
brown and the bobbin thread is turquoise. Every once in awhile I would hear
a click in the bobbin and a stitch would get stuck and I would manually turn
the sewing machine wheel. When I finished (and almost always near the end
of the row) there would be a few spots with tangled brown on the turquoise
backing. The first row I tore out. The others I trimmed up, brushed the
fleece over a little and said "FORGET IT". If I continue doing this, the
baby will be a year old before I get done.

I think many of us -- if not all -- have had frustrating times with that
tangle on the bottom. It's enough to drive you crazy, isn't it? G I've
been known to carefully pick out the tangle and leave the stitching, but
I've never used fleece, so I couldn't camouflage it that way.

As for looking drunk, my own opinion is that it's far more difficult to
stitch in the ditch and do straight lines than it is to do something
more freeform. It's also less fun. g
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)