Uses for unusable yarn?

Old February 20th 04, 04:01 AM
news.sonic.net

Default Uses for unusable yarn?

I have 7 or 8 different skeins/cones of yarn that can't be used for anythin
useful for various reasons. These reasons include - ugly, catches too much
on any needles used, too many knots, frays as soon as it hears the word
wash, etc.

I have been fretting over a 11 pound cone of chenille that I got for $15
including shipping. When it got here, I realized why it was so cheap - it
catches on any needle I use. It has so much sizing on it that as soon as I
touch it, I want to wash my hands. I used it to stuff a dolly that I made
(crochet) for my 3yo dd today. Now it has a use, and I didn't have to run
out and get fiberfill for the doll.
Any ideas on what to do with the rest of it? And the other yarn I bought
when I was a newb and bought for beauty, not usability?

Kelly

Old February 20th 04, 03:09 PM
Maine-iac Rose

I saw something on a sewing show, you zig-zag over chenille to make some
sort of pattern, can not recollect what the project was, but maybe do a
search for chenille projects and maybe you find something.

Maine-iac Rose
@---
remove the thorns
add a hyphen between the 2 words to email me

Old February 20th 04, 04:18 PM
Helen Halla Fleischer

Maybe you can trade the stuff with too much sizing to a weaver?

Helen "Halla" Fleischer, Fantasy & Fiber Artist
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Balticon Art Program Coordinator http://www.balticon.org
Old February 20th 04, 11:02 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "news.sonic.net"
wrote:

I have 7 or 8 different skeins/cones of yarn that can't be used for anythin
useful for various reasons. These reasons include - ugly, catches too much
on any needles used, too many knots, frays as soon as it hears the word
wash, etc.

I have been fretting over a 11 pound cone of chenille that I got for $15
including shipping. When it got here, I realized why it was so cheap - it
catches on any needle I use. It has so much sizing on it that as soon as I
touch it, I want to wash my hands. I used it to stuff a dolly that I made
(crochet) for my 3yo dd today. Now it has a use, and I didn't have to run
out and get fiberfill for the doll.
Any ideas on what to do with the rest of it? And the other yarn I bought
when I was a newb and bought for beauty, not usability?

Kelly

Kelly how stange sizing in chenille yarn. It could be used for crafts in
a school, or daycare center

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old February 21st 04, 12:13 AM
news.sonic.net

I thought it was weird too - very sticky and stiff.
I don't think the kids should use it. I ate a handfull of grapes after
playing with it, and it was bitter.

Kelly

Old February 21st 04, 02:26 AM
Carol

I have been fretting over a 11 pound cone of chenille that I got for $15
including shipping. When it got here, I realized why it was so cheap - it
catches on any needle I use. It has so much sizing on it that as soon as I
touch it, I want to wash my hands.

I have a big cone of icky scratchy chenille yarn, too. I used some to make a
mat for the cat -- when I put it on the arm of the sofa where she usually
slept, she avoided that spot til I removed the mat. I hadn't thought to use it
for stuffing, thanks for the idea!

Still stitchin' and smilin'
Carol in SC

Old February 21st 04, 04:58 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Carol wrote:
I have been fretting over a 11 pound cone of chenille that I got for $15
including shipping. When it got here, I realized why it was so cheap - it
catches on any needle I use. It has so much sizing on it that as soon as
I touch it, I want to wash my hands.

I have a big cone of icky scratchy chenille yarn, too. I used some to
make a mat for the cat -- when I put it on the arm of the sofa where
she usually slept, she avoided that spot til I removed the mat.
I hadn't thought to use it for stuffing, thanks for the idea!

The sticky chenille: Have you tried reeling off an ounce or so into a
small skein, and just gently handwashing it and letting it hang to dry?
It might come out nice after washing and then be usable. But chenille
has such a reputation for being a nuisance, maybe a pillow is best; it's
certainly fast.

Too-many-knots: crochet a mat? When you approach a knot, cut it
out and overlap yarns, or just leave the knot in it depending on
where the mat will be used. If it's too gorgeous, use it for a Kaffee
Fassett design, one of the ones (aren't they all?) that use lots of short
pieces. Or knit striped baby clothes/socks (though if the pieces are that
short, maybe stuffing its its fate), or nose-warmers. Or make a hair-net
and then tie or latch-hook the bits on for another Halloween wig. Or use
it for doll hair or toy horse's mane and tail; the toys could be knitted
too, maybe out of the yarn that isn't right for clothing (dull 'off'
colors can work for shaggy animals).

It's Ugly: dye it? or use it to stuff a pillow or pincushion. Or make a
Halloween-witch wig.

It Frays: stuff a pillow or make a Halloween wig - witch, pirate, or clown
depending on the color(s). Or crochet multiple strands at once into
a thick floor mat, and when it gets too dirty, toss it.

=Tamar
Old February 21st 04, 06:37 AM
news.sonic.net

Thanks for the great ideas Richard!
I'll definitely use some of them.

KElly

Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 03:09 PM
My yarn addiction Elsa Yarn 24 December 17th 03 04:30 AM
Yarn Forward Yarn Forward Yarn 2 November 30th 03 08:52 PM
FA Lots of Vintage Yarn! Noru, Pingouin, Lopi, More! DorothyRose1912 Marketplace 0 November 14th 03 02:19 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM