Fabric questions

Old October 17th 12, 06:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cindy from GA

Default Fabric questions

ok heres another one for ya. I'm cleaning out the fabric closet and and separating the bigger pieces and the smaller pieces. Yesterday I took some of the smaller pieces and cut them into 2 1/2 " and 1 1/2 inches strips. Seemed like the good thing to do. What other sizes would cut???

Second one.

Oh and another question ~ what happens when you are sorting into reds,, blues, yellows ~ you get the picture and you come across a piece of fabric that has ALL of those colors. Where do you put it??

Cindy from GA
Old October 17th 12, 07:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

You'll love this... perhaps it's a Missouri thing, but I sneak up on the fabric and whatever color I see first is the color stack it belongs in. Staring at the multicolored fabrics just confuses me as one color dances to the forefront and then another demands attention. Sneaking up on it will make one color shout out and then you'll know.

I never cut up fabric til I know what I'll use it for. You never know when you'll need to canabalize a fabric for just the right bit of color or flower or eyeball or tree or....

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old October 17th 12, 10:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

I've done this, too! but - I have found that if I do it on another day,
with a different light - even morning and afternoon difference, I might
get a different answer. In the end I had to make a small drawer the
holder of 'multi-coloured fabrics', and just use them when the situation
calls for it.

I agree with Leslie again with the cutting. I leave small bits in a big
box/bag ... and riffle through it when I need something.
..
In message ,
Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old October 18th 12, 04:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I have one of those that leads a busy social life. It is a gentle lavender
with soft yellow and peach leaves. One day, one day it will be "ah, just
right". Meanwhile, it sure does get around. Polly

"Pat S" wrote in message
I've done this, too! but - I have found that if I do it on another day,
with a different light - even morning and afternoon difference, I might
get a different answer. In the end I had to make a small drawer the
holder of 'multi-coloured fabrics', and just use them when the situation
calls for it.

I agree with Leslie again with the cutting. I leave small bits in a big
box/bag ... and riffle through it when I need something.
.
In message , Leslie
& The Furbabies in MO. writes

Old October 20th 12, 06:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I have the same plans for my "less than fat quarter" boxes. What size
should I cut them? For years they have been sorted by color but I
don't often use them. Thought if they were cut into strips and squares
I might use them in scrap quilts. Fons and Porter suggest 2 1/2" and 4
1/2". I thought 5" squares also because of all the nickle/charm
patterns. How about 10" squares? We are moving soon and I won't have
space for all those color boxes. Beggers need not respond. Several
quilters are lined-up for anything I want to discard.

Susan

Old October 20th 12, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne in DK

I wouldn't cut much smaller than sensible.

So, if you can get 10" squares, do that. If it is a long skinny piece,
go with a strip (maybe 2.5" for jellyroll type patterns?). Next 5"
squares might be a good option (also, you can later cut the 10" down to
fit, if you prefer).

Hanne in DK

Old October 20th 12, 08:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!
I have both, cut & uncut fabric. Love 'em all!
Altho' I love to rootle thru' the 6 1/2" Baseball Swap squares to
put together a quick quilt top, I find that most times
I need more than just what's cut; and, I need bigger pieces.
The 5" charms in the other pile are nice to go thru', but I don't have
a collection of cut strips (except when I deliberately make a LogCabin
top). I'm still in the cut-as-needed stage of fabric use; am certain
that as soon as I cut a piece of fabric into like-size smaller pieces,
I will realize that I needed a bigger cut. g
So, the fabric remains in the tubs and baskets, mostly uncut until needed,
while the scrap bags grow & travel.

Sorting by color: kinda'. For the multi-choice, could go in several places
fabrics, there are tubs just for those, too. ;-D

Good luck!

Ragmop/Sandy - "No good fabric goes to waste." SE

Old October 21st 12, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
rl.zollneratgmx.net

I would not cut other sizes, because those are the sizes I would use
most.

There's a bin in my stash for novelties (which I seldom buy much any
more, but they tend to be multicolored), so the "undecided" would go
in there.
Roberta in D