question for all you experienced mothers

Old August 30th 03, 01:52 AM
Maureen Wozniak

I'm pretty sure if your hand and a soda can can fit between the spaces,
its not the right crib.

Pat in Virginia wrote:

Nails, you don't
want too old a crib as the older ones have wider spaced bars. To
get info about the correct sizes of baby furnishings (as far as
safety issues), you might check with child welfare department or
who ever is the licensing agency for child care people. They will
have certain safety standards that are helpful to parents too.
This is an exciting time for you ... enjoy every minute of it!
PAT in VA/USA

"Dr. Quilter" wrote:

The other day a friend came by with her SUVA and dumped a whole bunch of
baby stuff at my place, including a crib with all its trimmings, a car
seat, a chair that swings, another that vibrates, a stroller, two bags
of maternity tops a bunch of stuff like disposable diapers too small
for their monster (that baby is huge, and dense!) etc. Plus three bags
of baby clothes. My problems a

a) I don't know how the baby items are called!
b) I don't know if some of them are meant to be worn together, i.e. if
some are underwear and others go on top, etc. Or when to use what,
basically.
c) this goes along with other talk I've been hearing, such as layettes
and receiving blankets.

Old August 30th 03, 02:30 AM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

Aha! But you are wrong, my dear Maureen! The wind up kind are from H*ll!
Just as the baby falls asleep, you have to wind the (*(&( thing and the
noise wakes up the baby. Better yet, just make sure you have lots of
batteries. LOL

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
Marissa, I'm not in experience mother, but big sis, cousin and auntie.
So I've been there. The swing (you call it a swinging chair) is a
godsend. Hope its the wind up kind and not battery operated, because
there is nothing worse than a screaming baby at 2 a.m. and no batteries
for the swing. My nephew also liked the vibrating chair, it probably
bounces also when the motor is turned off. Onsies look like T-shirts
that snap at the crotch. Sleepers have feet. Onsies are supposed to by
underwear, but mostly our babies wore them without anything else. Same
with the sleepers. And not just at bedtime. If its cold, add more
clothes. If its hot, take clothes off. Babies aren't really that hard!

Maureen

Old August 30th 03, 02:45 AM
frood

Not all babies like swings! DS did not like it at all! But all the girls
did. Yes, for Giles and Spike we had 2 swings - one we had already, plus one
borrowed one.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
Marissa, I'm not in experience mother, but big sis, cousin and auntie.
So I've been there. The swing (you call it a swinging chair) is a
godsend. Hope its the wind up kind and not battery operated, because
there is nothing worse than a screaming baby at 2 a.m. and no batteries
for the swing. My nephew also liked the vibrating chair, it probably
bounces also when the motor is turned off. Onsies look like T-shirts
that snap at the crotch. Sleepers have feet. Onsies are supposed to by
underwear, but mostly our babies wore them without anything else. Same
with the sleepers. And not just at bedtime. If its cold, add more
clothes. If its hot, take clothes off. Babies aren't really that hard!

Maureen

Dr. Quilter wrote:

The other day a friend came by with her SUV and dumped a whole bunch
of baby stuff at my place, including a crib with all its trimmings, a
car seat, a chair that swings, another that vibrates, a stroller, two
bags of maternity tops a bunch of stuff like disposable diapers too
small for their monster (that baby is huge, and dense!) etc. Plus
three bags of baby clothes. My problems a

a) I don't know how the baby items are called!
b) I don't know if some of them are meant to be worn together, i.e. if
some are underwear and others go on top, etc. Or when to use what,
basically.
c) this goes along with other talk I've been hearing, such as layettes
and receiving blankets.

Is there something I can read, or a website you reccomend, that
explains all this?

Marissa
who has never been around babies, obviously!

Old August 30th 03, 11:39 AM
Kate Dicey

Dr. Quilter wrote:

[...]

We had a baby rocking chair that James loved - when he was tiny I sat
him by my feet and twitched it with a toe... When he got bigger, he
bounced it himself. I could park it anywhere!

The week after I got home, my big sis came to stay to help (Loves her
nephews, but wouldn't want one of her own! Perfect auntie - indulges
the fun things but is as firm as little Sis and I on manners and the
like!). We parked baby James in his chair in the middle of the dining
table while we turned the room out! He could see our faces and hear us
talk, so didn't feel left out. Screaming not an option - he gave up
when he cottoned on to us turning on a bit of loud machinery every time
he screeched for anything other than a nappy or food! Food processor,
hoover, dishwasher, whatever...

The other really neat thing we had was a Silver Cross pushchair with a
clip in seat that was also a car seat: we plonked him in the seat and
put him in the car, and shoved the wheels in the car boot, and off we
went. Didn't have to fish him out of the car seat to get him out of the
car, and the seat also had a carry handle and bits under it so you could
use it as a rocker on the floor, or prop it up as a still chair. Very
useful item! I also use the buggy seat quite a bit in that push
chair. I sold the whole combo to my next door neighbours boss when
James outgrew it and walked everywhere, aged 3 and a half.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old August 30th 03, 03:08 PM
Joy Quilts

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message ...
The other day a friend came by with her SUV and dumped a whole bunch of
baby stuff at my place, including a crib with all its trimmings, a car
seat, a chair that swings, another that vibrates, a stroller, two bags
of maternity tops a bunch of stuff like disposable diapers too small
for their monster (that baby is huge, and dense!) etc. Plus three bags
of baby clothes. My problems a

a) I don't know how the baby items are called!
b) I don't know if some of them are meant to be worn together, i.e. if
some are underwear and others go on top, etc. Or when to use what,
basically.
c) this goes along with other talk I've been hearing, such as layettes
and receiving blankets.

Is there something I can read, or a website you reccomend, that explains
all this?

Marissa
who has never been around babies, obviously!

Marissa,
I think you got all the answers you need! I just wanted to drop you a
line of encouragement! It is all so new, isn't it?! I read a LOT of
books and magazines before DD#1 to prepare myself and I know you will,
too. There are a lot of magazines online, too. Here are some links:
http://www.americanbaby.com/
http://www.parents.com/
http://www.parenting.com/parenting/
http://www.babiesonline.com/babytalk/
And then when baby comes, you can put all your anecdotes like this one
in baby's own online journal:
http://www.babysstory.com/
HTH a little!
A Joy in Hawaii
Old August 30th 03, 08:39 PM
Dr. Quilter

my doctor's office has been great so far, no long waits. last time I was
very lucky though, she saw me and then had to run off to assist in an
emergency birth.... people after me had to reschedule!

taria wrote:

Marissa, My first was born in early March (he shares a BD
with a Ragmop!) When I was pregnant several folks in education
mentioned that was a great time to have a child. The age is
good for school. Not too young or old for the start of school.
After you sit in the ob waiting room for a few visits you too
will be well acquainted with the free baby magazines! We'll
send good thoughts your way Wed
Taria

"Dr. Quilter" wrote:

thanks for all the suggestions. you guys are great! I had no idea there
were free baby magazines! The baby will be born in late february, which
is the middle of the winter here but being Seattle is not too cold. I
think the stuff they gave me is fine, for example the crib. after all
the wife is an MD, she wouldn't use stuff that was dangerous for her
baby! they did give me the instruction leaflet on the car seat and told
me to check if it was still OK.

Now, gathering courage for the amnio next wednesday...

Kellie J. Berger wrote:

http://www.safetyalerts.com/rcls/category/child.htm is a wealth of
info......

safetyalerts.com has recall info for other categories too!

Kellie
with her PSA for the day....

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message

Marissa:
Good friend you've got there! Did she really dump them?! LOL
You've heard the answers to a and b, so here ar my comments on c.
Receiving blankets are those heavy cotton flannelette squares,
about 32" IIRC. They are used to cover baby, to wrap baby, to nap
the baby, to cover surface for changing baby, to cover momma when
she holds baby, to shield sun over the stroller. In other words,
you can't have enough receiving blankets! A Layette is simply the
term for the collection of clothing, etc. for a baby. Sort of
like the word trousseau for the bride's honeymoon clothes. Lots
of books have info on what babies need. You might check the word
layette in the index. Basic child care book is useful for
instructions, terminology, and practical info.

Next, about the car seat. Several have mentioned having it
inspect by the Police. That may vary from place to place. Here
the Fire Department does that. So call around. Also, you don't

"Dr. Quilter" wrote:

The other day a friend came by with her SUV and dumped a whole bunch of
baby stuff at my place, including a crib with all its trimmings, a car
seat, a chair that swings, another that vibrates, a stroller, two bags
of maternity tops a bunch of stuff like disposable diapers too small
for their monster (that baby is huge, and dense!) etc. Plus three bags
of baby clothes. My problems a

a) I don't know how the baby items are called!
b) I don't know if some of them are meant to be worn together, i.e. if
some are underwear and others go on top, etc. Or when to use what,
basically.
c) this goes along with other talk I've been hearing, such as layettes
and receiving blankets.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old August 30th 03, 08:41 PM
Dr. Quilter

I think it is battery operated, since it started running when I turned
it on, no winding required....

Old August 31st 03, 01:56 AM
Jalynne

If you'd like to. I'll send them book rate. craftigirl at earthlink dot net
You'd be doing me a favour, really...I was just going to dump them in the recycle
bin...LOL.
--
Jalynne

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
wow, great Jalynne..should I send you my addy privately?

Jalynne wrote:

Marissa....I live in Tacoma...I would be more than happy to send you or deliver
directly to you some back copies of Parents magazine. Just let me know.

Craftigirl
at earthlink dot net