Those EZ hats

Old July 18th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

Default Those EZ hats

The first one, the Maltese Fishermans' Hat, was knitted straight through,
all in one and I was very pleased with it. I attached a tassel today.

The tricorn hat was different. I didn't have a substantial enough yarn to
achieve the gauge so I experimented.

The first was far too small even for the baby in the family. So I pulled it
out.

I made the second with twice the number of everything and it was so baggy
that it would have accommodated the most abundant dreadlocks. So I pulled it
out.

The third was the right size but it was a funny shape, I wasn't satisfied by
it. So I pulled it out.

I sat for some time wondering why it wasn't right, the measurements would be
right, the knitting was right, but it was WRONG.

Then, I thought, why not start it from the centre at the top of the hat and
knit it backwards instead of starting with the headband as in the Pithy
Receipt? That's what I did.

It worked! I could stop knitting when the headband would fit a head and
what's more the top part of the hat was flat, unlike the previous one which
was a very odd shape.

Of course, all this knitting and pulling out - with yarn which was old and
probably grubby to start with - hadn't done it any favours so this afternoon
I washed both of them. They're now drying and, I promise, will be
photographed tomorrow.

I'm pleased with the fishermans' hat because of the beautiful curved shape
of the earpieces. I think it could do with something to fasten it under the
chin.

The tricorn hat can be worn in many ways, I'm sure Jamesh - No 1 grandson -
will love it.

If they're dry tomorrow the hats' pictures will be taken, tinypic'd and
posted :-)

Mary

Old July 19th 07, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

What a lot of work for a little hat! But they both sound great. I'm
looking forward to your pictures.

Hesira

Old July 21st 07, 12:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Jul 18, 3:38 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
[...]

You certainly have perseverance! Dont you just hate it when something
you really want to create just doesn't seem to HAPPEN? HAHAHA!

Wendy
A Knitting Fool in CT

Red Hats Pami Quilting 4 June 4th 07 05:20 PM
more about hats ..... Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 4 December 4th 05 06:32 PM
church hats A.J. Venter Needlework 3 October 17th 05 08:39 PM
Fabric Hats nana2b Quilting 4 August 11th 04 03:27 PM
Safari hats Gary Smith Marketplace 0 August 5th 03 10:40 PM