Seal of the USA

Old September 5th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Fred

Default Seal of the USA

A potential customer of mine what's to purchase one of my ornamental
needlepoint footstools. That is usually no problem for me, just make it,
ship and collect my money. This customer wants to put on this ornamental
needlepoint foot stool a stitched design of the Great Seal of the United
States of America. The total costs involved include; canvas, the design,
wool yarn, the upholstering, her time, my ornamental needlepoint foot stool,
shipping & handling - all totaled about $1000 +, -, a dollar or two. With
that in mind, no one except some one looking for an early grave would ever
put their feet on it. It is suppose to be an ornamental piece of furniture.

Now my dilemma - it seems to me that it would be in very bad taste to have
the Great Seal of the United States of America on a foot stool whether some
idiot would put their feet on it or not. I told the customer my thoughts and
suggested some other design - flowers, butterflies, whatever, but her mind
is made up. My signature plate (name plate) goes on all of my ornamental
needlepoint foot stools. I just don't feel good about the perception that
some one could put their feet on a foot stool that has the Great Seal of the
United States of America and my name plate on it.

A few years ago I was asked to make a piano bench that was going to have the
Great Seal of the United States of America design put on it. In my mind one
does not park ones' butt on the Great Seal of the United States of America
or any other nations' seal or flag so I refused the sale.

Would anyone here "stitch for payment" a canvas with the Great Seal of the
United States of America, Star of David or some other nations' symbol if
you knew in advance that it was going to be used on a foot stool or piano
bench?

*NOT KNOWING* in advance what the design was going to be used on is one
thing.

*KNOWING IN ADVANCE* what the design was going to be used on is
something else.

Would you mind your own business and stitch the design or would you refuse?
Do I mind your own business and make the sale?

Am I nuts or what???

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com
Don't backstitch to email
just stitchit.

The closer you get to perfection
the harder it is to achieve.

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof",
"Oriental Maiden".

Old September 5th 06, 12:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

Only you can answer either question, Fred. If it really nags at your
concience, don`t do it. Only the customer can know what her real feelings
are about it, though, and what her intentions are.

Couldn`t you just not put your name plate on it?

Pat P

Old September 5th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Dr. Brat

lucretia borgia wrote:

Might be one thing if she wanted the Stars and Stripes on it, but the
Seal ? I heard once that someone, Washington I think, wanted a
turkey on the seal, he apparently felt the turkey had been a far more
important bird.

Franklin, not Washington.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old September 5th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Twinsmom

Could you put your nameplate in a less conspicuous place? My first
thought was more along the lines that, in 100 years, when someone sees
such a fine piece of workmanship, he/she is going to want to know the
craftman. The Great Seal is an important symbol of the US, but not, as
someone else said, necessarily in the same class as the flag. In fact,
the rug in the presidential Oval Office has the Great Seal inlaid in
it, and people walk over it every day! (I would be more hesitant over
the Star of David, but only because it is also a religious symbol.) If
I were you, I'd go ahead and accept the order. Who knows...maybe
someday it will end up in the White House! lol

Carolyn

Old September 5th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Eva

Considering that the Great Seal is ON THE RUG in the Oval Office I don't
get why its acceptable for visitors there to walk on it but not for
someone to put her feet up on it.

Old September 5th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
LizardGumbo

Pat P wrote:

If it really nags at your
concience, don`t do it.

Doesn't nag mine! Send the customer to meeeeeee!

I think putting something like that on a piano bench or footstool is
totally practical and in keeping with what our foremothers might have
done. It's a traditional use for a piece of art one wants to look at
all the time but might not want to frame.

--
Elizabeth
Pop the bubbles to reply.

Website: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com
WIP: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com/wip.htm
Work to date: http://www.effervescentdesigns.com/portfolio.htm
Old September 5th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ericka Kammerer

Fred wrote:

Would anyone here "stitch for payment" a canvas with the Great Seal of the
United States of America, Star of David or some other nations' symbol if
you knew in advance that it was going to be used on a foot stool or piano
bench?

*NOT KNOWING* in advance what the design was going to be used on is one
thing.

*KNOWING IN ADVANCE* what the design was going to be used on is
something else.

Would you mind your own business and stitch the design or would you refuse?
Do I mind your own business and make the sale?

Am I nuts or what???

You're nuts. If it were the flag, it would be a
problem. Such uses of the flag are clearly prohibited by
flag etiquette. The only rule governing the use of the
image of the Great Seal (obviously there are more rules
about the use of the Great Seal itself ;-) ) is that you
can't use it in "any advertisement, circular, book, pamphlet,
or other publication, play, motion picture, telecast, or
other production" for the purpose of conveying a false
impression of sponsorship or approval by the US
Government. As Carolyn pointed out, people walk on
it every day in the rug in the Oval Office. I don't think
there's anything disrespectful about using it on an
ornamental footstool.

Best wishes,
Ericka
Old September 5th 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Becky A

Fred wrote:
[...]

Hmmm...lessee...

Granted, it's on the state level, but....

In the governor's mansion of my home state, the state seal is present on
the rugs, the needlepoint seats of the fancy dining chairs (which I
rested my arse on at a luncheon), and all the pieces of china.

In summary: I walked all over it, I sat on it, and I ate off of it. And
come to think of it, the state seal was on the napkins...so I also wiped
my mouth on it. I can guarantee the dining chairs have been
collectively pooted on more than I care to think about.

So yes, Fred...you're nuts. The seal is meant to be used, viewed, and
enjoyed. It's not like she's asking for Old Glory on a footstool.

Poot: I soooo went there...
Becky A.
Old September 5th 06, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Pat P

"Becky A" wrote in message
. ..
Fred wrote:
[...]

Love it Becky - just what I was too polite to say! (Ahem - what, me?)
LOLOLOL!

Pat P

Old September 5th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Karen C - California

Dear Fred,

I want to stitch a picture of George Bush and put it in a footstool.
You got a problem with that?

In fact, I think I'll take the picture of him from this morning's paper
and use it to line the cat box.

--

Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

Finished 8/31/06 - September Birthstone

WIP: baby and housewarming gifts, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

Editor/Proofreader www.KarenMCampbell.com
Design page http://www.KarenMCampbell.com/designs.html