Those Flying Geese

Old August 11th 15, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Default Those Flying Geese

Hello All,
I did some testing on making flying geese. I first used 3 7/8th and found the line did not match on the geese wing piece's so you do have to use 2 1/2, 3 1/2 and etc. I also tried different background fabrics and found that Kona fabric was the best and you can buy it at JoAnn's Fabrics, comes in different colors or buy off the internet. I have made 50 geese so far and 10 more to go. Remember to finger press them because iron pressing gets them out of shape. I only pressed them after completing a block.

Now the question I have to ask is what to do with the left over pieces after clipping the wings? I shuddered every time I cut these off because I kept thinking of the cost of material and could see money going into my waste basket, so started saving them. They do make small half squares. Might make a hot pad or two for the Senior Center because they have a craft show every November. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Sandy$
Old August 11th 15, 04:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat on the Green

Ah yes! Well done for testing.
One thing you can do, which was mentioned in someone's earlier reply,
(but fine details weren't given, as far as I remember?) is this:

Use what you cut off, by collecting the cut-offs to make half-square
triangle squares. However, to do this you must sew a seam on the
'cutting-off side' of the piece you are working on. This is made much
easier (and relatively foolproof!) if you draw the line, for this seam,
one quarter of an inch from the cutting line. The reason for doing this
is that sewing together small triangles, along a bias edge, is quite
difficult. Making the seam, while you still have a stable piece,
removes the problem.

I hope this is intelligible - I need my cup of tea gg.

Pat on the green
..

Old August 12th 15, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Pat on the green,
Yes, this is what I am doing with some of these half squares and will be making hot pads out of them for the Senior Center's Craft show in Nov.
Thanks for you thought,
Sandy$
Old August 14th 15, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Nann,
I will check into all this information you have given me here. Thank you so much for your thoughts and help.
Sandy$
Old August 15th 15, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Hello Nann,
I ordered that book "Spectacular Scraps" from Amazon.com
Thanks,
Sandy$