Wrinkled white Future

Old July 21st 03, 04:28 AM
Deb Hayes

Default Wrinkled white Future

Hmmmm---good question---I also wonder....I guess we could sacrifice a few
things to see---three years, you say?

Deb
"LynnDel" wrote in message
A couple weeks ago I did a little accidental experiment with Futu

I had a small yellow plastic jar in which I'd stored a bit of Future.
I had forgotten about it, and now, three years later, what was left
was a hard, shiny layer in the bottom of the jar. I decided I'd try
to soak it out so I could use the jar again.

I filled the jar full with hot tap water, waited a day, then poured it
off. The Future was still there, just as hard as ever, but instead of
being smooth and shiny, it was wrinkled (something like my body gets
when I soak in the tub too long LOL), and opaque white. It's been two
weeks now since I've let the water dry out, and the layer of Future is
still wrinkled (unlike my body when I dry out!) and white.

So I'm wondering. . . when polymer clay turns white after being
exposed to water (I think I've read that this is a problem), is this a
polymer clay reaction, or was it sealed with Future, and it is a
Future reaction?

Anybody know?

Thanks,

LynnDel

Old July 21st 03, 05:14 PM
Sjpolyclay

So I'm wondering. . . when polymer clay turns white after being
exposed to water (I think I've read that this is a problem), is this a
polymer clay reaction, or was it sealed with Future, and it is a
Future reaction?

Very good question LynnDel!! I don;t use Future, but I'm curious as to any
answers from people who do.
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old July 22nd 03, 12:58 PM
ShelleyM

I do like using future and I think this idea has got to get me
experimenting. I wonder if baking the future makes any difference. Off to
find jars that I can bake!

Shelley
--
http://www.shelleym.co.uk - remove nospam to e-mail me

Old July 24th 03, 09:10 AM
E J Ralph

In my only experience of polyclay turning white with water, it had
nothing to do with future or any other finish as the piece had not
been finished.

In my case, it was the bottom of a mokume gane covered egg that had
turned milky white after being left overnight on a damp tissue. So
although I cannot say for certain what causes it, it is not
necessarily to do with any finish. However, I think that future can
also turn white or milky with water too.

Emma