Miller 510 white stoneware firing range

Old March 6th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Default Miller 510 white stoneware firing range

I am reposting this from clayart. I know our room is small but I'm hoping
this might get more notice here since it has gotten none in clayart.

I have some 510 (miller) which I got from another potter who did not like
the way it felt (seems fine for me in that regard). They said that it was
a clay suitable for cone 6 stoneware, pit and raku however the only
information I can find on it has the clay as cone 10 or at most a range
from cone 8 to cone 10. Has anyone worked with this clay in the cone 6
range? I'm thinking I will probably have to just store whatever I make
with it until I can rent a kiln for high fire but I thought I would just
ask. Donna

Old March 7th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Thu, 6 Mar 2008 10:50:26 -0500, "DKat"
wrote:

I am reposting this from clayart. I know our room is small but I'm hoping
this might get more notice here since it has gotten none in clayart.

I have some 510 (miller) which I got from another potter who did not like
the way it felt (seems fine for me in that regard). They said that it was
a clay suitable for cone 6 stoneware, pit and raku however the only
information I can find on it has the clay as cone 10 or at most a range
from cone 8 to cone 10. Has anyone worked with this clay in the cone 6
range? I'm thinking I will probably have to just store whatever I make
with it until I can rent a kiln for high fire but I thought I would just
ask. Donna

Never hear of it. But you could easily make up a few test bars and
throw them in with your next set of bisque and glaze firings to cone
6. You will have to decide for yourself if they are vitrified enough.
You could compare them to identical bars made from your regular
cone 6 body, just for a reference point. Do absorption tests,
which everyone uses as a benchmark. If they don't absorb
excessively (say, under a few percent), you are probably OK.
You can then use the clay normally to make a few mugs, and try
microwave tests to see if that's going to be a problem.

But people use low-fire for all kinds of stuff, including mugs,
so it's really a judgement call. If your clay still has high
absorption at cone 6, and you are nervous about functional
uses, just save it for non-functional. Actually, it might even
make good ovenware, if you want to do the testing.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v3.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!
Old March 7th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Yes, I was being lazy and hoping someone else had done the work for me.
This clay seems very different to me than highfire stoneware I used to work
with - my guess is that it has a huge amount of talc in it... I should do
the work and test it myself - I would just much rather spend my very limited
time throwing what I want rather than waiting. I had not thought of it for
ovenware - the body seems way too tight for that but I could do some little
custard dishes and work out from there... yep, that could be a fun way to
go. Thanks for the input. Donna

Old March 8th 08, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bruce Glassford

Haven't tried Miller 510, but I did do some testing of various (mostly
Laguna) ^10 stoneware at^6. Basically, all of them came out in the 4-5%
porous range, compared to the^6 clays I was also testing which came out
in the 0-3% .

Campbells Warm Brown (^6): 13.5% shrinkage, 0% porous (my scale isn't
good enough to tell)
Campbells Red Brick - same as the warm brown
Little Loafer (Highwater ^6): 14% shrinkage, 2.7% porous

Laguna B10: 12% shrinkage 5% porous
Soldate 60: 17%, 4.5%
Los Altos: 15%, 3.5% porous
Std 153: 15%, 3.1% porous (^4-10, per Standard...)
Std 257: 14%, 0% (Supposed to be ^8 porcelain)

Enamels on stoneware J M Pottery 4 March 29th 06 05:39 PM
Blistering on Stoneware Davis Salks Pottery 12 October 29th 05 09:34 PM
FA - 23 piece Westerwald pottery/stoneware Fetch, Rover, Fetch Pottery 0 June 18th 04 12:03 PM
Firing stoneware for decorating with acylic paints Diego Pottery 0 May 17th 04 07:35 PM
white stoneware heat and cold retention Anthony Stewart Pottery 0 October 25th 03 04:49 PM