For discussion: Hand made

Old September 19th 04, 10:17 AM
Shirley Shone

Default For discussion: Hand made

Just have to state that it is hand assembled. LOL
Shirley

In message , vj
writes
For discussion: I just received this from a friend. Pay particular
attention to the definition of 'hand made'. and the part between the
** marks.

HAND MADE Created completely by hand. Not assembled from parts or
made in a die or mold. This definition is one of the more commonly
used ones.

The Jewelers Vigilance Committee's Appraisal Task Force stated that
"The apparent or known method of manufacture should be stated (cast,
die-struck, handmade, etc.) " on all appraisals.

The FTC states:
(a) It is unfair or deceptive to represent, directly or by
implication, that any industry product is hand-made or hand-wrought
**unless the entire shaping and forming of such product from raw
materials and its finishing and decoration were accomplished by hand
labor and manually-controlled methods which permit the maker to
control and vary the construction, shape, design, and finish of each
part of each individual product.** Note to paragraph (a): As used
herein, "raw materials" include bulk sheet, strip, wire, and similar
items that have not been cut, shaped, or formed into jewelry parts,
semi-finished parts, or blanks.

Listing all of these may be overkill, but I am doing so to emphasize
that the distinctions are ones from the industry(and federal
government) and not just my own opinion.
I understand what you are saying, I have been working in the jewelry
repair and design business for over ten years. No jewelry work is
easy, It is a truly special craft. I have spent many hours setting,
polishing and soldering, but casting and making from scratch are two
different things. Using a cast doesn't make a piece, or a jeweler,
inferior.
-----------------------

evidently, no matter how i do it, none of my jewelry is 'hand made'.

--
Shirley Shone
Old September 19th 04, 04:51 PM
scott

"vj" wrote in message

evidently, no matter how i do it, none of my jewelry is 'hand made'.

Unless you use your feet, it's hand made. This post I am making is hand
made. Or would that be computer hand made? Ok I will shut up ) /smiles
Hi Vicki !

Scott

--
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com

Old September 19th 04, 05:10 PM
Marisa2

That REALLY stinks.

I wonder if this is specific to metal-smithing... there must be
different defs for other crafts... right?

I understand Shirley's suggestion, but I am not sure it would work...
not sure if it is just a slightly different connentation to a US reader,
but when I read "hand assembled" it sounds like the maker assembled it
form a kit. Do others read it that way?

marisa2

Old September 19th 04, 09:21 PM
Kandice Seeber

Hmmm. Interesting. But only according to the governement, which I don't
trust anyway. Vicki, you can legally say "handcrafted", though, right?

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 19th 04, 09:45 PM
Kandice Seeber

Okay, then, the FTC needs to define "industry product".
Also, I have never heard of the FTC going after any jewelry designer/maker
for stating something is handmade. Why is this bothering you?

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 19th 04, 10:09 PM
V2

[...]

If there is an (a) paragraph, there must be at least a (b) paragraph.
(Otherwise the grammar police will come after the FTC.) What's in the rest
of the FTC's info? Run this past the lawyers in this group, if possible,
please. Sometimes b's override a's. Dumb, I know, but no one said the
government had to not be dumb.

Vicki V

Old September 20th 04, 10:50 AM
Kandice Seeber

I think maybe that jeweler is just trying to get you worried for some
reason. Take a step back and look at the fact that the FTC is not worried
about people who are making beaded jewelry and selling it. I think they are
more worried about the high-end expensive gemstone and gold jewelry, or even
stuff that is being assembled in sweat shops overseas and being sold here as
"handmade". If the FTC were really pressing the matter, you'd have heard
about people being shut down all over the place. Basically speaking - yes,
that rule is on the books. But so what? I would be much more worried if
the government was actually doing something about it. There's no way they
can, really. It would be logistically nearly impossible, and right now,
they have bigger fish to fry than the multitudes of handmade jewelry artists
out there. Don't worry about it, hun. Just keep creating and selling that
gorgeous jewelry of yours.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

]Okay, then, the FTC needs to define "industry product".
]Also, I have never heard of the FTC going after any jewelry
designer/maker
]for stating something is handmade. Why is this bothering you?

because it was sent to me BY A JEWELER, with regard to the things i'm
working on now. calling them 'hand made' is evidently illegal in the
US.

Old September 21st 04, 01:33 AM
Barbara Otterson

I have spent many hours setting,
polishing and soldering, but casting and making from scratch are two
different things. Using a cast doesn't make a piece, or a jeweler,
inferior.
@vicki [SnuggleWench]

And using a "cast" piece doesn't exclude a work from the "hand made"
definition. Esp. for me. I carve the wax, invest, burn out, cast and
finish each piece myself. Therefor, hand made.
I wonder how this definition fits to my "reproducible" line. Yes, the
pieces are all cast. But from my mold, made from my original. I pull
the waxes, invest, cast and finish. So even tho I can make thousands
(like I would want to?), each one would still fit that definition of
hand made.

Old September 21st 04, 07:50 AM
starlia

] And using a "cast" piece doesn't exclude a work from the "hand made"
]definition. Esp. for me. I carve the wax, invest, burn out, cast and
]finish each piece myself. Therefor, hand made.

actually, the investment, and the burn out, plus the machinery you use
to do the casting DO make them NOT handmade, according to the FTC.
that's what Jeremy was trying to tell me.

This is so dang confusing! Typical government crap.

Old September 22nd 04, 06:46 PM
Kalera Stratton

That's interesting... I wonder what side of the line a bead press would
fall on? It's not a mold, technically... you don't pour molten glass
into it and let it cool to form the shape, it's a fully interacive
shaping tool. Hmmm.

-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com
http://www.snipurl.com/kebay