Copper foil. What the heck do you do with it?

Old February 8th 05, 02:05 PM
starlia

Copper foil and leaf does oxidize and that's why I love using it in hot
glass. You can get great effects layering it with silver foil or both of
those with enamels. If you have any white enamel melt that onto your work,
then layer silver and then copper. You want the turquoise affect to happen.
It's pretty cool and no one will know you used either copper or silver.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

"Mike Beede" wrote in message

This is speaking of hot working. I've used silver leaf and
silver foil, picked up on a bubble. Some extremely cool
effects can occur. I picked up some copper leaf at the
same time. What the heck--it was cheap. However, I've
become convinced that it isn't really intended for hot
working, since it oxidizes entirely, even if it's
encased. In that case, it adds an interesting green
tint to the glass.

Perhaps I was misled by the fact that it was carried at
Olympic Color Rods into assuming it was for hot work.
Is it just intended for warm and cold applications?

Also, thanks for the suggestions in re. silver foil
sources. It seemed that there were a lot more sources
of strips than of sheets, which was what I wanted.

Mike Beede

Old February 8th 05, 02:08 PM
starlia

There is also copper foil for flameworkers. It does not have a sticky back.

--
Starlia Klopman
www.klopmanstudios.com

"colleen" wrote in message
Brian - copper foil is a tape that has a sticky backing , the front is
coated with copper, you use it by wrapping it around cut pieces of glass
and
then using flux, solder the seam, its a replacement for lead cam and can
be
just as strong, I use it for smaller works but have used it for a small
door
panel but incorparating a copper rebate through the piece to reinforce the
item.Your cutting needs to be pretty good. Hope this helps - Colleen
"Bryan" wrote in message
Then come back and report, I'm now curious.

Bryan "copper foil is for sticking solder around glass" Paschke

Old February 8th 05, 02:09 PM
starlia

I forgot about wire mess. That really looks cool in hot glass and rarely
gets burned away depending on how long you expose it directly to the flame.

snip
Foils in various thicknesses are available from engineering or
automotive supplies as 'shim' used for making machine parts fit. Comes in
brass, copper, steel, aluminium etc, and thickness varying by thousandths
of a inch.
Phil

Old March 6th 05, 02:51 PM
Steve Richardson

Interesting oddity about palladium foil/sheet: Back when the company I work
for had big lasers, palladium was sometimes used as a target material. I
have a piece with a half-inch hole burned through the middle from a laser
test and it produced a nice series of concentric colored rings, from local
heating effects, sort of like titanium or case-hardened steel.

"Mike Beede" wrote in message
In article ,
"Bryan" wrote:

Then come back and report, I'm now curious.

Bryan "copper foil is for sticking solder around glass" Paschke

Okay. I didn't check with Olympic, but I did check with
someone that knows roughly everything about glass. He
said that you can't use copper foil/leaf hot, though
you can use it warm. He did some fusing with it about
thirty years ago. At that time, the only kind available
to him was adhesive-backed (probably used for stained
glass just like today). At fusing temperatures, the
goo on the back would burn, releasing gas and tarnishing
some of the foil, so there would be shiny and corroded
patches. He didn't care for the effect, though he said
some people liked it. He had enough other ideas that
he never bothered getting any non-adhesive copper to try.

I think he was amused at the idea that anyone would try
to work with it hot . . . he said that only works with
silver and gold. As a side note, I see that you can
also get palladium foil, which can be worked hot. It
is very expensive but is supposed to have a wide range
of colors. When I can bring myself to spring $65 for
25 small sheets, I might try some, but my at my skill
level it wouldn't really make sense. He said that he
sometimes used a palladium solution on fused glass, but
didn't know how it would work to drip some onto a bubble
and heat in the furnace. It needs to go to 1200 degrees
to become metallic, which of course is no problem in
the furnace. Unknown how hot it can get, though. If
the range is small, it might be possible but hard to
achieve. If it lasts up to a high heat (or better yet,
if it passes through a range of colors) it might be
pretty cool. A small bottle is around fifty bucks. I
guess I could try it and then pass it along to a fuser
if it was a disaster. I'm thinking I might be able to
dissolve it in a larger amount of water and dunk a
piece in it. That might give a combined crackle effect
with palladium on the surface. Or the steam might
prevent it from ever reaching the surface.

It might be possible to make a solid form of some kind
analogous to silver bromide/chloride/iodide. That
would probably be a lot easier to get onto a hot piece.
I see that it does form these compounds, but their
melting points are on the order of 250 degrees C vs.
450-550 degrees for the silver ones. Maybe that
wouldn't be the best way to use it, either. Not to
mention I'd have to find a source or make them myself....

In the event I try it, I will report on the result.

Mike Beede

copper foil reguvenation? desiglass Glass 6 December 13th 04 05:36 PM
copper foil strength Ned Flanders Glass 3 December 12th 04 12:33 PM
Silvered copper foil Craig Glass 9 April 13th 04 01:40 AM
Mixed media - copper and stained glass - need various petina's Lori Hurt Glass 19 March 26th 04 06:42 AM
Little beady eyes in copper foil Jeff Oakley Glass 4 August 5th 03 12:21 AM