dried out glazes

Old November 15th 06, 02:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
light.spirited

Default dried out glazes

Hullo,
I have just got myself a second hand kiln and it came with a few boxes
of glazes. Quite a few of these glazes are completely dried out. Is it
possible to rehydrate them?
Thanks

Old November 15th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On 14 Nov 2006 18:58:14 -0800, "light.spirited"
wrote:

Hullo,
I have just got myself a second hand kiln and it came with a few boxes
of glazes. Quite a few of these glazes are completely dried out. Is it
possible to rehydrate them?
Thanks

Most glazes are simply water-based suspensions. They should
rehydrate OK, but if they've solidified into a hard cake you may
have to break them up a bit. You'll want to sieve them after
you rehydrate. The idea here is not to block the chunks, it's
to give you a chance to work them around on the top of the
sieve with a brush until they dissolve and pass through.

If you don't have a sieve yet, go down to your supermarket
and but one of those plastic coffee filters. The basket of
the ones I've seen (Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA) are brown,
with a nice taper that just fits into the top of a 16-oz yogurt
tub. The plastic mesh is 110 count, which is actually finer
than you really need (80 or even 60 is probably enough),
but it doesn't hurt... just takes a bit longer to get everything
through.

Having said all that, however, I would caution that you check
these glazes very carefully. If they are really old, they will
almost certainly contain lead. If they are commercial glazes,
you may be able to find out about that from the makers if
you can read the numbers, colors, and types on the jars.
If there is any doubt, I'd err on the side of caution and
take them to the nearest toxic waste pickup station.

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator
Old November 15th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

wrote:

[...]

You can heat up your water to make dissolving the material easier (If you
have delicate coloring then use distilled water and heat on the stove - I
just take it hot out of the pipes but I have good water). If the glazes are
clearly labeled and you know the ingredients

Old November 15th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

wrote:

[...]

To continue (I was rudely interrupted by a misplace send)... I agree with
Bob to put it shortly. If you don't know what your ingredients are (if the
glazes do not have ingredient labels or the person you bought it from cannot
tell you what is in the glazes, etc.) then I would not use them.

Donna

Old November 16th 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
light.spirited

Thank you!!

light.spirited wrote:
Hullo,
I have just got myself a second hand kiln and it came with a few boxes
of glazes. Quite a few of these glazes are completely dried out. Is it
possible to rehydrate them?
Thanks

Cone 6 Glazes WITHOUT Gertsley Borate? dkat Pottery 23 July 20th 04 03:50 AM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM