A crafts forum. CraftBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CraftBanter forum » Textiles newsgroups » Needlework
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Paternayan yarn numbers



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old September 6th 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 255
Default Paternayan yarn numbers

The dolls? I remember that one.
Dora

Susanne Hackbarth wrote:
What luck! I was hoping to find someone on this newsgroup that might know if
these Paternayan numbers have changed. I was looking for #520, for an OLD
1976 project I am working on. No. 520 is a Teal Blue shade now and the color
I need is green, which looks like #630. Thank you! This project is one of
3 President's wives; Martha Washington, Julia Tyler and Sara Jackson, from a
McCall's magazine.

Susanne

"elderberry22" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi, I am thinking about making the pattern "Tinkle, a Cat" from the
book by Brande Ormond, _American Primitives in Needlepoint_. But when
I look at the Paternayan yarn numbers, they are so different! This
calls for quite a lot of Dark Red #201, but when I look at color
charts, 201 is quite a shade of grey! Is there any way to convert
these numbers? I have googled it and had no luck at all.


Ads
  #12  
Old September 6th 06, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susanne Hackbarth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Paternayan yarn numbers


"bungadora" wrote in message
oups.com...
The dolls? I remember that one.
Dora

Yes, to the Dolls, what a good memory! I wish I had all three finished
after all these years. I only have a few rows of the green at the very
bottom to finish, and then the braid wrapped around the top of her head. I
just noticed the top of her head should have been done in continental
stitch. Maybe when it is washed and blocked it won't be distorted? I might
just frame this rather than make the doll.

Susanne




  #13  
Old September 6th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 255
Default Paternayan yarn numbers

Ah well. A bit of distortion is almost a given with continental. I
think the degree depends on the quality of the canvas and the frame.
Long stitch is nice that way. Almost no distortion.

I always wondered how well those dolls would stand up as a 3D. McCalls
used to publish and re-publish patterns later in special editions, and
I think that is where I have that pattern. I'll have to take a look
later to see if I still have it, or whether I disposed of it in one of
my ruthless cleaning streaks.
Dora
http://www.picturetrail.com/bungadora

Susanne Hackbarth wrote:
"bungadora" wrote in message
oups.com...
The dolls? I remember that one.
Dora

Yes, to the Dolls, what a good memory! I wish I had all three finished
after all these years. I only have a few rows of the green at the very
bottom to finish, and then the braid wrapped around the top of her head. I
just noticed the top of her head should have been done in continental
stitch. Maybe when it is washed and blocked it won't be distorted? I might
just frame this rather than make the doll.

Susanne


  #14  
Old September 10th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
elderberry22
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Paternayan yarn numbers


bungadora wrote:
Ah well. A bit of distortion is almost a given with continental. I
think the degree depends on the quality of the canvas and the frame.
Long stitch is nice that way. Almost no distortion.

I always wondered how well those dolls would stand up as a 3D. McCalls
used to publish and re-publish patterns later in special editions, and
I think that is where I have that pattern. I'll have to take a look
later to see if I still have it, or whether I disposed of it in one of
my ruthless cleaning streaks.
Dora
http://www.picturetrail.com/bungadora

Susanne Hackbarth wrote:
"bungadora" wrote in message
oups.com...
The dolls? I remember that one.
Dora

Yes, to the Dolls, what a good memory! I wish I had all three finished
after all these years. I only have a few rows of the green at the very
bottom to finish, and then the braid wrapped around the top of her head. I
just noticed the top of her head should have been done in continental
stitch. Maybe when it is washed and blocked it won't be distorted? I might
just frame this rather than make the doll.

Susanne


Got my magazine. Old 520= New 611. Hope this helps.

  #15  
Old September 11th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susanne Hackbarth
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Paternayan yarn numbers

Yes, to the Dolls, what a good memory! I wish I had all three finished
after all these years. I only have a few rows of the green at the very
bottom to finish, and then the braid wrapped around the top of her head.
I
just noticed the top of her head should have been done in continental
stitch. Maybe when it is washed and blocked it won't be distorted? I
might
just frame this rather than make the doll.


"elderberry22" wrote in message
ups.com...

Got my magazine. Old 520= New 611. Hope this helps.

Dora: THANK YOU very much. That helps a lot! I just checked a website
http://www.discountneedlework.com/paternayan_yarn.aspx . I have been trying
different kinds of green yarn, but haven't liked the results. Would you mind
checking the #104-Brown to see what number it has changed to. Then I will
call and order these. Two Emb. shops in this town and neither one has
Paternayan yarn.

Thank you again for your help, Susanne


  #16  
Old September 11th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 255
Default Paternayan yarn numbers

Nope, not me. Elderberry just got her magazine from E-bay and she
checked it for you, nice lady.
I took a look at the pattern though very cute, although my copy has the
old numbers.
Dora

Got my magazine. Old 520= New 611. Hope this helps.

Dora: THANK YOU very much. That helps a lot! I just checked a website
http://www.discountneedlework.com/paternayan_yarn.aspx . I have been trying
different kinds of green yarn, but haven't liked the results. Would you mind
checking the #104-Brown to see what number it has changed to. Then I will
call and order these. Two Emb. shops in this town and neither one has
Paternayan yarn.

Thank you again for your help, Susanne


  #17  
Old September 15th 06, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
elderberry22
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Paternayan yarn numbers


bungadora wrote:
Nope, not me. Elderberry just got her magazine from E-bay and she
checked it for you, nice lady.
I took a look at the pattern though very cute, although my copy has the
old numbers.
Dora

Got my magazine. Old 520= New 611. Hope this helps.

Dora: THANK YOU very much. That helps a lot! I just checked a website
http://www.discountneedlework.com/paternayan_yarn.aspx . I have been trying
different kinds of green yarn, but haven't liked the results. Would you mind
checking the #104-Brown to see what number it has changed to. Then I will
call and order these. Two Emb. shops in this town and neither one has
Paternayan yarn.

Thank you again for your help, Susanne


Old 104 = New 440.

  #18  
Old September 15th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
smj
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Paternayan yarn numbers

I have a Paternayan card that has samples of each color and a
conversion chart for Elsa Williams Tapestry yarn. By checking the
earlier messages, I see that it has the newer color numbers. The card
has five pages of samples and folds in on itself to protect the yarn -
all 405 small samples.

Because I have a number of early 1970s books, particularly bargello
ones, I would like to obtain a copy of the Paternayan conversion chart.
Would anyone who has it be willing to scan it? Or if you would send
me a scan or copy, I would create an Excel spreadsheet that has the
conversions and send it to anyone who wanted it.

Thanks in advance,
Susan in Seattle


wrote:
bungadora wrote:
Glad to help. I might contact JCA myself, just to find out whether
they ever produced their own conversion chart.


I have a paper chart of the US Paternayan yarns dated about 1990. The
back page has the conversion from OLD Paternayan to NEW Paternayan.
This paper chart is not handy or I would scan it and email the scan.
But it did originate with JCA.

And the difference between US Paternayan and UK Paterna is that some of
those lovely colours that used to be available in the US are still
available in the UK. The UK have different numbers and no comparison
is perfect--I got a shade card from Sew Exciting in the UK for a
reasonable sum.

Good luck with the needlework--Irene


  #19  
Old September 15th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
bungadora
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 255
Default Paternayan yarn numbers

I tried writing JCA about a week ago and haven't had an answer yet on
whether they still have a chart available or not. If I don't hear back
from them next week, I'll try writing again. If not, and if you succeed
in your enterprise I'd like to have a copy.

I also have a few 1970's patterns I wouldn't mind decoding,
particularly a book on Persian rug designs. Mind you, if I haven't been
able to get around to them after nearly 30 years there's a good chance
I never will.

Dora

smj wrote:
I have a Paternayan card that has samples of each color and a
conversion chart for Elsa Williams Tapestry yarn. By checking the
earlier messages, I see that it has the newer color numbers. The card
has five pages of samples and folds in on itself to protect the yarn -
all 405 small samples.

Because I have a number of early 1970s books, particularly bargello
ones, I would like to obtain a copy of the Paternayan conversion chart.
Would anyone who has it be willing to scan it? Or if you would send
me a scan or copy, I would create an Excel spreadsheet that has the
conversions and send it to anyone who wanted it.

Thanks in advance,
Susan in Seattle


wrote:
bungadora wrote:
Glad to help. I might contact JCA myself, just to find out whether
they ever produced their own conversion chart.


I have a paper chart of the US Paternayan yarns dated about 1990. The
back page has the conversion from OLD Paternayan to NEW Paternayan.
This paper chart is not handy or I would scan it and email the scan.
But it did originate with JCA.

And the difference between US Paternayan and UK Paterna is that some of
those lovely colours that used to be available in the US are still
available in the UK. The UK have different numbers and no comparison
is perfect--I got a shade card from Sew Exciting in the UK for a
reasonable sum.

Good luck with the needlework--Irene


  #20  
Old September 16th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
elderberry22
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default Paternayan yarn numbers


bungadora wrote:
I tried writing JCA about a week ago and haven't had an answer yet on
whether they still have a chart available or not. If I don't hear back
from them next week, I'll try writing again. If not, and if you succeed
in your enterprise I'd like to have a copy.

I also have a few 1970's patterns I wouldn't mind decoding,
particularly a book on Persian rug designs. Mind you, if I haven't been
able to get around to them after nearly 30 years there's a good chance
I never will.

Dora

smj wrote:
I have a Paternayan card that has samples of each color and a
conversion chart for Elsa Williams Tapestry yarn. By checking the
earlier messages, I see that it has the newer color numbers. The card
has five pages of samples and folds in on itself to protect the yarn -
all 405 small samples.


I don't have a scanner, but I can just type them in a few at a time &
hope for not too many typos!

Old=New
001=260
005=261
010=262
011-256
012-263
014-327
015-756
017-246
020-465
025-462
026-948
032-236
040-716
050-220


And that is all the zeros. Will try to do more later.
Because I have a number of early 1970s books, particularly bargello
ones, I would like to obtain a copy of the Paternayan conversion chart.
Would anyone who has it be willing to scan it? Or if you would send
me a scan or copy, I would create an Excel spreadsheet that has the
conversions and send it to anyone who wanted it.

Thanks in advance,
Susan in Seattle


wrote:
bungadora wrote:
Glad to help. I might contact JCA myself, just to find out whether
they ever produced their own conversion chart.

I have a paper chart of the US Paternayan yarns dated about 1990. The
back page has the conversion from OLD Paternayan to NEW Paternayan.
This paper chart is not handy or I would scan it and email the scan.
But it did originate with JCA.

And the difference between US Paternayan and UK Paterna is that some of
those lovely colours that used to be available in the US are still
available in the UK. The UK have different numbers and no comparison
is perfect--I got a shade card from Sew Exciting in the UK for a
reasonable sum.

Good luck with the needlework--Irene


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dealing with left over yarn Yarn 31 January 19th 05 08:15 PM
Using Homespun question Denise Yarn 8 January 8th 04 04:09 PM
Frizelle Olympe "34" yarn SlinkyToy Yarn 0 September 22nd 03 02:30 AM
Aaaaaaaagghhh!! Slippery yarn rant... CMM PDX2 Yarn 8 September 1st 03 07:27 PM
Yarn Substitution SlinkyToy Yarn 5 August 23rd 03 06:34 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CraftBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.