New stash!

Old July 29th 17, 01:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]

Default New stash!

On Wed, 26 Jul 2017 04:15:04 -0700 (PDT), Violet Stitches
wrote:

So come clean ladies...how big is your stash? Any tips for keeping it manageable?

who you calling a lady?

Rich, a man stitcher who has a lot of stash himself.
Old July 29th 17, 02:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

wrote:

So come clean ladies...how big is your stash? Any tips for keeping it manageable?

who you calling a lady?

Rich, a man stitcher who has a lot of stash himself.

The best stitcher at our knitting guild is a man, he is also very
generous contributing to the charity knitting. Does lovely work and I
would not dream of knitting a toque now, except with Alberts pattern.

Back in the day when my father went to sea aged 14 to help support his
mother (father was killed in WWI) he made extra money darning socks
for other people and knitting and selling new socks.
Old July 29th 17, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

wrote:

So come clean ladies...how big is your stash? Any tips for keeping it manageable?

who you calling a lady?

Rich, a man stitcher who has a lot of stash himself.

Ack, sorry Rich! I don't know how I could have forgotten about you, as you enabled me to enhance my stash significantly last year by directing me to the Strawberry Sampler. I've seen your photos and you're a fine stitcher indeed.

So how much stash DO you have?
Old August 7th 17, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 7/26/2017 9:38 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:

One thing I've done to cut down on space is to not store threads anymore...I just buy what I need at the time for each project and then get rid of the leftovers. I'm always afraid I'm going to run out of the old half-used skeins in the middle of a project and not get a good color match with a new skein. So now I throw out threads after a project is finished and it saves much space. The only problem; I miss seeing all those beautiful threads and petting them for creative inspiration.

If you're using DMC or Anchor floss, there's no problem with keeping
skeins for years (except for a few colors a number of years ago with DMC
when they had to change their formulas for environmental reasons). I
have floss that's probably 20 years old and they're still the same color
as newer skeins.

So don't throw away those floss skeins! Keep them for petting or
choosing colors for changing a design if nothing else.

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Old August 7th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 7/29/2017 7:26 AM, Rich wrote:

who you calling a lady?

Rich, a man stitcher who has a lot of stash himself.

So Rich, how did it go with the grandkids? Did you teach them any
stitching?

Old August 8th 17, 09:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Arliss Link[_2_]

Yeah, but. I found 3 distinctly different greens in 503, and I was halfway through Teresa Wentzler's English Cottage Sampler when I ran out of one. I ended up having to combine one ply of 503 and one ply of 523 (or 524) to approximate the color I'd been using. Moral: make sure you have enough of your color before you start - although not many designers will tell you if you need more than one.

Arliss (waiting to see the doctor about that knee, Joan)
Old August 8th 17, 09:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 8/8/2017 3:05 PM, Arliss Link wrote:
Yeah, but. I found 3 distinctly different greens in 503,and I was
halfway through Teresa Wentzler's English Cottage Sampler when I ran
out of one. I ended up having to combine one ply of 503 and one ply of
523 (or 524) to approximate the color I'd been using. Moral: make sure
you have enough of your color before you start - although not many
designers will tell you if you need more than one.

Good point!

Why didn't you ask me about the 503? I probably have the old skein!

It also points out a problem with purchasing old patterns...the fibers
may no longer exist. I ran into that just last week with the
Independence Day np I got. Luckily, Laura Perin is still around and
sent me the list of alternate fibers!

Sooo, I did a search and found this little chart:
https://melitastitches4fun.files.wor...015/07/dmc.jpg

And this is from Mary Beth Lewis's page, a designer who used to be on
rctn: http://www.marthabeth.com/DMC_dyelots.html

Since this was from 1998, I have no idea if the address listed is still
valid, but it might be worth a shot.

In any case, the changes have been few, considering the number of colors
DMC produces.

Arliss (waiting to see the doctor about that knee, Joan)

And I'm still waiting to hear the results!

BTW, nice to "see" you here again!!!

Old August 12th 17, 12:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]

We were too busy running around. Maybe next visit.

Old August 12th 17, 01:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 06:42:23 -0700 (PDT), Violet Stitches
wrote:

So how much stash DO you have?

I have over a hundred books and magazines. At least 6 sets of scroll
rods, 2 Q-snap frames. I big pile of DMC and Anchor threads. Some
fabric... I have 160 patterns, including 71 I have stitched. Plus 5
or 6 patterns kitted up with fabric and thread.

I can't believe I counted them...

Rich
Old August 14th 17, 08:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 8/12/2017 6:48 AM, Rich wrote:
We were too busy running around. Maybe next visit.

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017 15:43:37 -0500, Joan Erickson

So Rich, how did it go with the grandkids? Did you teach them any
stitching?

Sounds like you had fun, then. What a good Grandpa!

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

How Much Stash is too much [email protected] Needlework 51 July 21st 08 02:52 PM
new (?) stash bienchat Yarn 1 April 30th 05 04:45 AM
Stash Run - Stitch Stash Cheryl Isaak Needlework 14 June 9th 04 05:42 PM
Man, what stash! Rhiannon Needlework 40 March 22nd 04 06:31 PM
Stash bag Julie Needlework 8 February 19th 04 02:26 AM