For the `SAVE the lace` police attention....

Old February 7th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

Default For the `SAVE the lace` police attention....

Today i got another pile of laces , torn, many parts in little
pieces , smelly ,
You don`t want to get a real description.. i sorted them by materials
and techniques and made some lovely mild warm baths with a solution of
SOAP ,,, plain soap,,,,, i will peep in every half hour and lovingly
moove them to see which one is ready for a second bath ....... and Yes
when they are all clean and good looking /smelling ,,, i do intend to
combine this poarticles in other works of art ,,,,,
mirjam
Old February 7th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Walker Family[_2_]

I'm glad you are saving some laces that would disappear otherwise. I
like reusing things. I took the lace from a dress I wore to prom the
night my husband proposed to me in 1970. In 2006, I placed some of
this lace on the lining of a christening dress I made my first
grandchild, Veronica.

Granted, this example is not a fine, antique lace, but it is amost 40
years old and very, very sentimental to my family. Veronica's mother
has a favorite photo of Dan and I, ready for prom and looking at my
ring. She's always loved the dress but it was starting to
deteriorate. I saved what I could and kept enough to put into some
other projects. Saving a little history is a wonderful thing. Moni
Old February 7th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

MONI
what a delightful story

I'm glad you are saving some laces that would disappear otherwise. *I
like reusing things.

Thank you for being glad, only this week on another Subject , somebody
thought it was a bad thing that i cut up old laces,,,, I really feel
that reusing old[er] cloth is much better than God Forbid throw it
out , or just `save it` for who knows when ,,
I used parts from my wedding dress, to make a vest which my daughter
used in concerts.
embroidered parts were added to adorn a wall piece i made for her ,
many parts end in my own art and of course i made
"Fabrics Remember Album " in whuch i made cloth pages [ pink for my
family and light blue for my husbands family, and on each page i
embroidered stiches old doilies and embroidered the DETAILS , names
+dates of each maker ,,,,, now even my daughter wants to keep it ,,.
*I took the lace from a dress I wore to prom the
night my husband proposed to me in 1970. *In 2006, I placed some of
this lace on the lining of a christening dress I made my first
grandchild, Veronica.

How touching
thank you for sharing this sentiment with us ..
mirjam

Old February 7th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
lewmew

Actually, Mirjam, what I objected to was the fact that so much of the
stuff you put together looks like it's just thrown together scraps of
no redeeming value except that you are trying to make some kind of
statement. I think the one that was the straw that broke the camel's
back was when you decorated your cast with leftover material. How
pretentious! And I cannot imagine that it was in the least
attractive!

Linda
Old February 7th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 8:05*pm, lewmew wrote:
Actually, Mirjam, what I objected to was the fact that so much of the
stuff you put together looks like it's just thrown together scraps of
no redeeming value except that you are trying to make some kind of
statement. *I think the one that was the straw that broke the camel's
back was when you decorated your cast with leftover material. *How
pretentious! *And I cannot imagine that it was in the least
attractive!

Linda

Linda,
If you are talking after you have looked at my site than i am a bit
surprised by your description , but can`t discuss with you the way you
see my fiberart. If you are talking , based on parts of my written
descriptions, than this are usully descriptions of parts of my work ,
not the completed works ,, But it is all in the eye of the
beholder....have it your way ,,, As to my cast , i played with some
ideas ,to decorate it , but eventually didn`t do it ,, i layed all
kinds of stuff on my cast,, and decided not to do it , esp since i
hate Glue, and working with left hand isn`t easy....And last and not
least thank you for the marvelous compliment, i like my art and my
craft to be MINE , one of a kind, even i have trouble to reproduce 2
things even remotely looking the same ,,, And yes i tell stories with
my art , and make statements, and i am proud of it, and if you make
something unique enough to be shown in galleries and museums you
should be proud of yours as well ... I think that using up leftovers,
and ``given to me found , inherited etc materials , fits me , and my
beliefs in not wasting things people made, and not fill up the Dust
piles. Fits my feelings that one can and should `make do` with waht
one can afford, that one can share and exchange with friends and
aquaintnaces, things one doesn`t need.
mirjam
Old February 7th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Walker Family[_2_]

I love to reuse things, especially in a sentimental way. When my
girls were little, I made tons of clothing for them. I used the
leftover bits when making a quilt for my mother in law. To this day,
we can see the quilt and remember, "this was a dress for Vicky",
"Kimberly wore that outfit". In between pieced squares, I drew and
embroidered events from my in laws lives, including a pig riding in
the backseat of their car - "long story".

I still have my wedding gown and don't know what I'll do with it. My
girls aren't crafty and wouldn't put it to use, and they each had
their own gown. I will probably keep it so that one day my grandkids
can see it. If it starts to deteriorate, I'll save some in a
scrapbook album of our wedding and early years of marriage. Ususally,
the fabric rots way before the lace, so I'll do something to keep at
least some of it. Moni
Old February 7th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Tamara

I still have my wedding gown and don't know what I'll do with it. My
girls aren't crafty and wouldn't put it to use, and they each had
their own gown. I will probably keep it so that one day my grandkids
can see it. If it starts to deteriorate, I'll save some in a
scrapbook album of our wedding and early years of marriage. Ususally,
the fabric rots way before the lace, so I'll do something to keep at
least some of it. Moni

I have my mother's wedding dress and I don't know what to do with it. I
gave my grandmother's dress to my sister who dances in a 15th century dance
group in Germany. She made an apron for her costume out of it. I have a
cedar chest full of linens and pieces of lace made by my great grandmother
and grandmother. I'd like to get it all in a quilt to hang above my bed,
but never seem to get around to it.
--
Tamara

Old February 7th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 10:41*pm, Walker Family wrote:
[...]

* * * *---- Posted via Pronews.com - Premium Corporate Usenet News Provider ----http://www.pronews.comoffers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Moni and Tamara , i made my daughter a Wall Cover on which i
appliqued rints cut of old T shirts With symbols and dates etc from
Summer schools she attended or taught in , Than i appliques a piece of
My mother`s handcraft , a doile of another relative, i made some
appliques about her life, i added a piece of a table cloth of my late
MIL [her second grandma] which was tottalty falling apart... etc,,,,
She loves it and if i hadn`t used those pieces on it, they would have
ended in the dust bin ,,,,
mirjam
Old February 7th 08, 09:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Feb 7, 10:53*pm, "Tamara" wrote:
[...]

Tamara , just start with playing with those parts ,,, and eventually
you will make it ,, best of luck mirjam