Bead and Button show-working tools

Old December 20th 05, 06:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Default Bead and Button show-working tools

Ever since the show schedule has gone on line I have been reading,
planning, making notes, dreaming about coming. All in my mind at present.
Have read what people need to bring and my questions are, Are people
allowed to travel by plane with pliers,needles etc? If not, do they have
required items for sale there? Are lamps available for hire.?
I would hate to travel with my favourite things and find them confiscated.

If scissors get confiscated, some working tools would be considered far
more dangerous. I would be coming from New Zealand, either via New York
or LA and Chicago.

Cheers, Jan

Old December 20th 05, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Jan,

You can pack the tools in your luggage and check them through. The rules
have changed, and many pliers, etc. can be carried on board, but
honestly, I wouldn't risk it. In fact, if you want to be doubly sure
things make it, send your tools and things ahead via FEDEX or UPS
International.

Let me know if you will be attending the show, it would be lovely to
meet you in person!

-------
Barbara
http://www.penguintrax.com
Blog at http://www.penguintrax.com/chatter

eBay & Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

Nurturing doesn't end at birth: breastfeed, co-sleep, babywear.

There is a very fine line between a hobby and mental illness.
(Dave Barry)

Need quality, inexpensive web hosting? Check out http://www.lyonshost.com. Shopping carts, blogs, image galleries, content management and more!

Old December 20th 05, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

forgot to add - you can purchase task lamps, etc. there. In fact they
sell them as part of the registration and as far as I know, you pick
them up at the show. You can always inquire - there are lots of
international attendees these days.

-------

Old December 20th 05, 06:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Jan,
All of your tools and stuff can be checked thru with your lugage, I fly from
Tx to Ny all the time, they look thru your stuff, swab for explosives and
let it pass, I've even sold stuff during this time to TSA guards who are
impressed with wire wrap. But here are a few things to do

1. Airline baggage monkeys have no care for your stuff. Go to Lowes/Chase
Pitkin/Home Depot or what ever large hardware store is in your area. Buy a
Anvil case toolbox. It's an oversized Aluminim breifcase with 2 locks on it.
2. but to tie down straps to add extra reinforcment to the case. ( mine is
almost 50 lb with all the wire/tools and stones in it.
3. call the Airline to ensure you can send it thru ( just to be sure)
4. be there EARLY to check it in, TSA is going to go thru all of it.
5. Have fun and enjoy the show!

Jim

Beadgasms for all

Old December 21st 05, 04:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads

Adding to Jim's good advice -

You are allowed to ask that you be present when the TSA goes through
your bag, and then after they have given it the OK, you can lock it,
and they will mark it as "cleared" and send it on its' way. (Otherwise
if you send it locked, before they've inspected it, they will break the
lock -- and probably the case -- and will not reimburse you for your
stuff, as tehre are signs telling you to leave things unlocked until
they are cleared.)

As far as flying from NZ to the US, I will double check at work
where/how you'll need to do that.... If I remember my last int'l
flight, we had to collect our luggage and re-clear security at our
first stopping point in the US... whichever airline you book through
should be able to give you all of the exact info that you'll need.....
There are many people that travel with expensive items (tools, guns,
scientific equipment, etc.)

If you are still not sure about it.... ship it to yourself at the
hotel. If you contact the hotel and alert them that you are sending a
package and that you have a reservation on X day, they'll usually sign
for it and hold it for you. Even better is to get the name of the
manager, talk to him/her and let them know what you are doing, and then
snd the package in care of the mgr.

Also, as far as taking something on board to save your sanity.... I
tend to take seed bead projects because a.) they take forever b.) they
are compact and travel nicely c.) beading needles are no problem, and
instead of battling about scissors, I take a infant nail clipper
along... they are super sharp, and of absolutely no threat!

Hope this helps!!!

Katie