Looking for a blue glaze

Old September 26th 05, 05:02 PM

Have you picked up a copy of Mastering Cone 6 Glazes by Roy and
Hesselberth? There are several blues in there. I use the variegated
blue which has amazing effects when layered with their other glazes. I
highly recommend the book.

Old September 26th 05, 05:51 PM
Janet Price

This glaze is BLUE. On porcelain it is ghastly! But on the odd
orangy-brown clay I use and fire to cone 5, it's very nice--deep blue
with white sugary patches and specks. I'm not sure where I got it, but
it's undergone a few changes. I would not expect it to be food-safe. I
use it on planters and vases.

Blue Sugar

41 custer spar
19 flint
7 epk
8 whiting
5.5 lithium carb
7 dolomite
3 gerstley borate

1.5 cobalt carb. Yes, that much.

If it's too thick, it gets sort of dull and pasty. I dip it. I'd be
curious to know how it works on your clay.

Janet Price

darshan wrote:
I'm using a dark cone 6 clay.
firing in a Skutt kiln. oxidation
I'm looking for a blue glaze with visual texture
Anything similar to a chun blue?(reduction)
The blue glazes I've tried are flat, uninteresting.

Old September 27th 05, 01:32 AM

If you want to feel like you're drowning in ceramic discourse then try
subscribing to clayart.

http://lsv.ceramics.org/scripts/wa.e...D1=clayart&A=1

It is a VERY active list. Quite frankly, too much traffic for me to
read everything. I delete 90% or more of the messages without ever
reading them. It is moderated so the SNR is quite high, but many of
the topics that are discussed are of no interest to me. The nice thing
is that there is participation from well known artists who regularly
contribute to the journal literature, or who have written books. Of
pertinence to this thread, the authors of the MC6G are active on the
list, both with regard to their book and with their other experience
and expertise.

Old September 27th 05, 09:08 AM
Steve Mills

I get the Digest version of this List, it takes much less time to
download, doesn't clutter up your inbox, and is altogether easier to
manage.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article .com, m
writes

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old September 27th 05, 11:47 AM
darshan

I just ordered it. How serendipitous!
Thanks for your response.
I just discovered this forum and it tickles me greatly . Finally I don't
feel so alone.
check out my site www.vermonter.com/darshanpottery

Thanks again

Old September 27th 05, 12:39 PM
Janet Price

Rather than get the digest, most email programs will let you set up a
filter and just filter the mail into a separate mailbox. It doesn't
clutter up the rest of your email this way, but it's easier to save
individual messages.

Janet

Steve Mills wrote:
[...]

Timeless Treasures Sale; New Michael Miller, Moda, Hoffman, more at The Virginia Quilter! The Virginia Quilter Marketplace 0 December 18th 04 01:48 AM
glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM
glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 July 18th 03 05:40 AM