Source for nice blown glass in Maryland?

Old February 18th 04, 08:20 PM
David Modine

Default Source for nice blown glass in Maryland?

I'm interested in several very colorful accent peices to set on some antique
marble topped furniture.
I found a store in Bethesda, MD called Fire & Ice that had some interesting
stuff, but I'd really like to find someone's studio or shop I could browse
around in.
Vases, bowls, lamps, globular stuff all intrigue me.
David

Old February 18th 04, 09:23 PM
Robert Banford

Not a studio or shop but you might want to visit the American Craft
Council Show at the Baltimore Convention Center . Public days are
February 27-29th. Glass from studios and artists from all over the
country. And other crafts also.

Bob

Old February 19th 04, 05:07 AM
Cheryl

I found a store in Bethesda, MD called Fire & Ice that had some interesting
stuff, but I'd really like to find someone's studio.

Or Heart's Afire in Alexandria...

though I suspect what you are thinking is that things will be cheaper at the
artist --- because both of those places are VERY expensive...
(I know - I dropped $800 at Hearts Afire over 7 years ago.... LOL)

Cheryl
last semester of lawschool! yipee!
A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old February 19th 04, 10:49 AM
David Modine

"Cheryl" wrote in message
Or Heart's Afire in Alexandria...

I had not heard of that shop.
Do they have a large selection?

though I suspect what you are thinking is that things will be cheaper at

the
artist --- because both of those places are VERY expensive...
(I know - I dropped $800 at Hearts Afire over 7 years ago.... LOL)

Quality & selection are my priority. I don't mind paying good money for
quality product. I would prefer to buy from an artist directly, as then I
would know the piece is truly an original, not something mass produced in a
factory overseas somewhere.
There was a series of vases & bowls at Fire & Ice that were signed by the
artist, and they had a little bit of info about the artist on a card. I
don't remember the name right now. IIRC he was from the midwest.

Cheryl
last semester of lawschool! yipee!

Congrats!!

David

Old February 19th 04, 12:51 PM
Michele Blank

that sounds like it may be Rollin Karg. His stuff is usually priced pretty
low as he does a lot of production. I think you should check out some art
festivals in your area. Sunshine Artist magazine has listings by state. m

Old February 20th 04, 01:02 AM
Cheryl

last semester of lawschool! yipee!

Congrats!!

David

Thanks
my mistake on the name of the gallery
it is "ARTS AFIRE"
here is their webpage
http://www.artsafire.com/main.html

I went in there 3 months after I had started lampworking myself -- went hogwild
buying beads....LOL
yes- - over $800 in BEADS...
they have some nice glass too...

You might also check out DC Glassworks
some of the student stuff might just be appealing - you never know when you
will get a piece by a future "Famous" artist.

I have a blown glass piece by Sid Hutter... from 1977, and he doesn't even do
hot glass anymore! LOL
There is an open house THIS SATURDAY - you might want to go - such open houses
at glass shops are usually great fun. .

Also - I found this site listed

http://www.glassworksgallery.com/

have fun- now I am jealous and wish I had some DC trips planned!!!
LOL

http://www.dcglassworks.com/
Old February 20th 04, 10:23 AM
David Modine

Thanks for the links. I can't make the open house at DCG this Sat, I have to
work. I will certainly visit Arts Afire.
I'm looking forward to the Baltimore show next weekend.
David

Old February 23rd 04, 03:59 PM
JR

If you are looking for nice blown glass, go no further than Art of
Fire (http://www.artoffire.com). Foster Holcombe is an extraordinary
glassblower, and operates a studio in Laytonsville, MD. If you have
ever been to the Maryland Renaissance Festival, you've seen Foster's
glassblowing.

Enjoy!
JR
Old February 24th 04, 10:37 AM
David Modine

Very cool!!!
Thanks for the info, that location is within 10 miles of home.

David

m...

Old February 25th 04, 09:37 PM
Aimee8881

hi david
my father hand blows glass vases and candle holders and we have a shop in
camden stable market if you would like to come and have a look i could send you
some picture's if you like.
we also have a web site:
www.amylouglassart.co.uk
aimee

Source for glass cylinder? Bert Glass 8 July 17th 12 06:00 PM
Glass Source Michele Blank Glass 12 July 17th 12 04:39 PM
Source of small glass furnace in UK? Mike Firth Glass 21 February 3rd 04 09:53 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 08:19 PM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM