OT Can we have a roll call.

Old April 2nd 09, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

Default OT Can we have a roll call.

Nice of you to drop in Heather.
I understand about the eyes. I use Mag eyes magnifying glasses.
Been having trouble reading small print lately.

It is difficult to know where to sell your beadwork.
Like you I am retired and at one time I used to take it round the group
of libraries where I worked. Cannot do that too many times though.
I also got a few sales at the docotrs receptionists. They know me quite
well by now.
Actually I have not been doing much in the way of crafts lately, my get
up and go seems to have got up and went.

Do not forget to post pictures of what you make.
Hugs
Shirley

In message , Heather
writes
Hi Shirley...

I meant to answer the last roll call, but as a relative newbie to this
group, just put it off (duh!!). I do hope you are on the mend or at
least "holding your own". I had a bad Winter myself and hope I have
seen the back end of hospitals and antibiotics!!

I have gotten to "know" some of the names that you mention, but I was
just thinking the other day that it is such a shame that no one takes
advantage of the knowledge on this news group.

I am still plugging away and learning all sorts of different styles,
etc. I am afraid seed beading won't be one of them. My eyes are 'too
old', lol. But still working with copper and just got a load of it in.
I also love pearls and must make more up. My problem is with being
retired.....where on earth do I sell it? No office to show it off to,
local bead store shut down, and haven't decided if Etsy is the way to go
yet.

Meanwhile one of the bead companies is making use of my 'eye for proper
English' and I proof their website changes every week. Spell checkers
can't get a lot of it. I rarely use one, for that reason. Now I will
have to double-check this post, after being so bold as to say that.
(grin)

Glad to hear from you anytime. And would love to see all of the lurkers
post an update or two.

All the best from Canada.....Heather

"Shirley Shone" wrote in message

Hi Carla,
This is a coincidence.
I was just looking at my RCB picture gallery this morning and was
wondering how you were.
Been so many missing names on this group.
Karleen, Kandice, Bart pops up occasionally, as does Valerie who is
not well.
Barbara pops in to see us.

Where are Roxanne, Marcia, All the Vicki's, Margie, Sooz, Marisa,
Kalera, Mona, Tink, Kathy H, Kathy NV, Fiddy and Cheryl also Candice
and Georgia.

It is great to see you back.
Hugs
Shirley

In message , Carla
writes
Whew! I'm back!

I've had stupid computer issues for the longest time, and once they
were all resolved, I couldn't get back into newsgroups (I use
Thunderbird, *not* google).

So many familiar names, and new names; it's good to see so many folks
are still here.

I'm still putzing around with beadwork, nothing serious right now.
I've got enough polyclay and fused glass pendants to stock a small
shop g, just haven't turned anything into jewelry.

Nine months to retirement for me and it still feels like it's taking
*forever* to get here.

I'm catching up on everyone's posts (and so very sorry to read about
Patti).

It's good to be "home"

Cheers,
Carla

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old April 3rd 09, 12:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Susan, it's great to hear from you again. And I hope you're still
around.

Why did you move back to DC? I hope it was a good move for you.

Isn't being a grandma fun! I still have just the one. Victoria is 8
now and is on a running team in Sacramento. She's the only white girl
in on her team. And she's great. Fast, etc. Of course, her dad is a
runner too. Now that he's over 40, he's in the Master Class, and went
to Nationals last December. She goes to Montessori, thank goodness.
She was being kept so far below her potential for her first half of
First Grade it almost wrecked her ability to study and behave!!!

I saw Sooz in Berkeley, last Spring, but didn't get to see her when I
was down for my daughter's wedding in Aug/Sept or to be with my mother
in December after her injury. At 85 we still can't convince her to
take normal care of herself.

We're still getting temps around zero most nights, but the days are
warmer, it's beautifully sunny, and the pussy willows are starting to
come out -- the first flowers of spring; you should smell them.

Tina

On Mar 13, 9:37*am, wrote:
On Feb 4, 7:53*am, Shirley Shone
wrote:

So come on lots hear from you and build the ratings back up on this group.

Amazing... I haven't posted in YEARS, and I look today to see
Shirley's post for a roll call! * Anyway, I was a serious poster for a
while, then life got complicated (in a good way), so I thought I'd
check in again. I used to live in DC, then moved to VA for 11 years,
and just moved back to DC again. Thanks to our pal, Sooz, I went from
beads to collage (and "altered books"), and now I'm in flux -- the
move has us still living out of boxes, and many of my art supplies are
still in storage! I recognize a lot of names still here!!! And I was
one of Shirley's spoons recipients! * Great to check in! *- Susan in
DC (used to be Susan in VA)
p.s. A granny now, twice!

Old April 3rd 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Carla, It's so good to see you. I'm still fighting computer issues
too :-( So I haven't been consistently here for a while.

I know what you mean about being able to stock a small shop! That's
what got me going about a month ago. Part of the problem was that I
had a lot of stuff that I didn't know what to do with. Like beads
that are just too big. Maybe I'll start a new thread about big
beads. I never know what to do with them and sometimes I'll get one
because I'm not careful enough reading descriptions.

And I have beads that I got when I first started buying lampwork that
are colors (pastels) or styles (dots) that just aren't really my
thing. I'm trying to put things like that together to sell even just
at cost. I want to have only things that really WANT to use.

What are you retiring from? (I know you've told me before). And what
are you going to do after you retire? Hope your assets are safe after
this economic mess.

Tina

Old April 3rd 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Hi Heather. Are you in BC? I used to live in Canada and loved it.

What did you retire from? I often refer to myself as retired, but am
actually disabled by Depression. My brain gets tired way too
quickly. Now I could be unhappy about it, but it's bad enough to have
the organic illness without compounding it with feeling melancholy.
Ironically, I have better mental health now than before this specific
illness raised it's ugly head.

I like seed-beading, but right now I just have so much bigger stuff
that I just need to use some of this stuff up so I can find the little
ones! The other problem with seed-beading is than if you hope to make
some profits, seed beading takes an awful lot of time and it's very
difficult to sell for a worthwhile price. Although just for the sake
of satisfaction, I really enjoyed the intricacy of seed beading.

I had hoped to place some of my floral pieces at the local nursery,
which also has a coffee shop, etc. I'll try again next month. I'd
even like to barter with my nurseryman, but when I was in it was his
manager I spoke to. Maybe next month.

Sorry to hear about your LBS. It's so much cheaper to shop on-line,
but it's very important for us to have that store as a resource -- for
selling or when we MUST have some item.

Tina

Old April 3rd 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

Yeah, I wonder about my buddies too.

Has anyone heard from Kathy NV? I worry about her health, and wonder
how Mandy is behaving as a teen-ager! And I miss Becki and Sooz and
the Vickis and Kathy H, and so many others!

WHERE ARE YOU??????

Tina

Old April 6th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
White Raven Designs

hello everyone!
Well I haven't called in for a very long time but I have been thing of the
bead group for a while now, so today I decided to log in at long last!
I'm delighted to see some names I know and I'm hoping to make contact with
some old friends as well as making some new ones too!

I'm Nita, my label is White Raven Designs and I live in Warooka, Yorke
Peninsula - South Australia (formerly moonta SA)
I consider myself to have lived a very varied and interesting life!

Looking forward to making contact!
Love and blessings
Nita.

Old April 6th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
[email protected]

On Apr 2, 7:52*pm, wrote:
[...]

Hey, Tina. We moved back to DC after 11 years in an idyllic country
setting. We started to have health issues (DH is 72), and the one
time
I called 911 (for what turned out to be no big deal), it took them 30
min.
to get out to us. We just felt we were not in a good place to "Grow
Old'
in. :-) Also, I had just fixed up our condo in DC to re-rent, but
when
DH saw it he said it was "too nice" to rent out anymore! Great
complement!
So back we came, and we've found the city to be much nicer and
friendlier
than before. A nice bonus!

We're in the midst of our annual Cherry Blossom Festival, and the
cherry
trees at the Tidal Basin are AMAZING!!! We've got a lot in our
neighborhood
too, so we're really enjoying watching Spring Sprung! :-) There are
daffodils,
forsythia, hyacinth, pansies, tulips, camelias, azaleas, Bradford
pears, etc. etc!
A really pretty spring here.

Yes, grandmotherhood is AWESOME! I highly recommend it. :-)

Beady hugs, Susan in DC

Old April 6th 09, 06:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

Lovely to have you back Nita.
I have been trying for ages to get the posters of yesteryear back.
Bring us up to date on what you have been doing.
Hugs
Shirley

In message , White Raven
Designs writes

Old April 7th 09, 04:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Annie Bauer

I am still out here puttering around with beads and such. Nice to see some
familiar names pop up on the roll call. Without meaning to come off as
morbid or anything, but when I heard that Dona Anderson had passed away last
week, I was reminded once again of the fragility of life and though of
those of you that I have not seen post recently.

--
Annie
acbauer@sbcglobal

Old April 7th 09, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Carla

Hey Tina,

And I have beads that I got when I first started buying lampwork that
are colors (pastels) or styles (dots) that just aren't really my
thing. I'm trying to put things like that together to sell even just
at cost. I want to have only things that really WANT to use.

At one point, I had put together a big box of stuff to freecycle, then
at the last minute couldn't part with it; I keep thinking "Maybe I can
use this *some* how..." and the stash just keeps on growing

What are you retiring from? (I know you've told me before). And what
are you going to do after you retire? Hope your assets are safe after
this economic mess.

I've been working at the University of Illinois for over 20 years; for
the past six as Office Administrator in an academic unit. (Read:
secretary under too much pressure! g) And other than my pension,
there aren't any assets to speak of anyway. I'll have to look for a
part time job, and I'm hoping I can find something in one of the local
bead shops or craft stores. If I *have* to work in an office, I want it
to be something like file clerk or data entry. The main goal, though,
is to actually make and sell beads and jewelry

Good to see you're still here

Cheers,
Carla

Roll Call Sally Swindells Quilting 46 September 28th 07 08:48 PM
Roll Call Patti S Quilting 0 September 23rd 07 05:01 AM
Roll Call KathyB in West Oz Quilting 2 January 8th 05 03:03 AM
Another Roll Call The Brown Family Quilting 1 January 6th 05 12:33 PM
Roll Call Sherry Starr Quilting 0 January 6th 05 02:50 AM