Has anyone ever MacGyvered way to have regular sewing machine hold thread cone?

Old March 22nd 12, 03:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Default Has anyone ever MacGyvered way to have regular sewing machine hold thread cone?

Craftsy wrote:
A couple of years ago or so, I saw a sale for cones of
thread at a very good price so I bought a couple. I've
since never been able to figure out how to use them on my
regular sewing machine. When I went around Xmas to
fabric store, they told me that those were for sergers
and that I couldn't use them in any way on a regular
sewing machine.

Well, I've never been one to believe something can't be
done until I've exhausted all avenues. I _still_ may not
have figured out what I can do to use the cones on the
single slim spindle on my Singer but thought maybe
someone here had created something that would do the job.

I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Has anyone figured out anything that works?

You could try something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-921-Cone.../dp/B0019KDYL2

Either to hold the cone and then thread to the rest of the
needle-threading path, or to hold the cone and wind bobbins,
then use them in place of spools.

I have a couple like that, I use them when I need to use
serger cones on my Singer.

NAYY,

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old March 22nd 12, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Craftsy wrote:
"BEI Design" wrote:

[...]

Has anyone figured out anything that works?

You could try something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-921-Cone.../dp/B0019KDYL2

Either to hold the cone and then thread to the rest of
the needle-threading path, or to hold the cone and wind
bobbins,
then use them in place of spools.

I have a couple like that, I use them when I need to use
serger cones on my Singer.

NAYY,

I KNEW it; I just knew there had to be something out
there, either that I could buy or make. I'll print that
page out and take it to that store to see if they sell
this type of thing.

Your local fabric store probably has them on the notions
wall.

Good thing I don't trust one
person's answer and let that discourage me g.

??? Perhaps you received a reply from someone in my
killfile, I did not see any other rely than my own.

Thanks! I also love the idea of going and going and
going without running out of thread, too!

You're welcome. If you sew lots of black, white, navy, and
red, serger thread probably works fine, although keep in
mind that it is not as high a quality thread as sewing
machine thread. Serger thread is manufactured with a
specific use in mind: Serging. ;-} And since serging lays
down three or four threads each pass, it has to be somewhat
less bulky than regular sewing thread.

I like to color-match thread to fabric as closely as
possible, so serger threads do not do for much of my sewing.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx

Old March 22nd 12, 04:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Craftsy

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 19:13:04 -0700, "BEI Design"
wrote:

Craftsy wrote:
[...]

that store to see if they sell this type of thing. Good thing I don't
trust one person's answer and let that discourage me g.

Thanks! I also love the idea of going and going and going without
running out of thread, too!

Cheers. D

Old March 22nd 12, 04:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
David Scheidt

BEI Design wrote:

:Craftsy wrote:
: "BEI Design" wrote:
:[...]
:
[...]

I thinkt the dritz stand to be flimsy and not worth the effort.
Putting the cone on the floor behind the table and using a couple coat
hangers bent ot have thread guide loops (and something to hold them in
place) works just as well.

: Good thing I don't trust one
: person's answer and let that discourage me g.

:??? Perhaps you received a reply from someone in my
:killfile, I did not see any other rely than my own.

: Thanks! I also love the idea of going and going and
: going without running out of thread, too!

ossible, so serger threads do not do for much of my sewing.

It's possible to buy general purpose sewing threads on large put ups,
not just serger thread. What you're likely to find in a typical
fabric store is serger thread, but there are plenty of sources for
other threads, too.

--
ASCII was good enough for יְהוֹשֻׁעַ!