Want a Soldering Torch for cheap? (not an ad)

Old March 10th 05, 02:00 AM
Kathy N-V

Default Want a Soldering Torch for cheap? (not an ad)

For those of you who want a little torch to use for small soldering
jobs, but don't want to spend a lot of money, have I got a deal for
you -- go to www.target.com and type "brulee" into their search
field. You'll come up with a very nice little Creme Brulee set,
complete with ramekins and a torch for $10. Check your favorite
coupon sites (my favorite is www.dealcoupon.com) to see if they have
a free shipping deal or some such.

For a free tutorial on the basics of soldering,
http://beadshop.com/learnonline/tech...soldering.aspx
has a nice little overview on the easiest (and crudest) soldering.
(If you want to learn a lot more, get Tim McCreight's "The Complete
Metalsmith)

The Creme Brulee torch from Target doesn't have the nice little stand
that the Beadshop torch has, but you could easily improvise with a
tomato paste can and a set of tin snips, if you felt so inclined. I
can live with the tomato can stand, since the Beadshop torch is $90,
compared to $10 and has no dessert recipes at all.

The torch is not especially made for cooking and can be filled with
ordinary butane for small soldering jobs. It has a adjustment lever,
seems sturdily made, and is exactly the same torch that they wanted
to sell me at the Home Depot (for $50). It puts out a lot more heat
than a soldering iron, and the price can't be beaten with a stick.
No clue if this can be used with PMC - if I were going to use PMC,
I'd probably want to invest in a Hot Pot, instead of any torch.

Plus, you get 4 little custard cups to use for beady stuff, or mise
en place cooking. If you must, you can use the set for Creme Brulee
as well. (spoil sports!)

Oh yes, speaking of mise en place cooking, I've found that the tiny
(2 oz) silicone bowls used to hold ingredients for such cooking are
perfect for transferring seed beads. The silicone bowl curls into a
perfect little spout to pour the beads back into their tubes.

Kathy N-V, finder of bargains

Old March 10th 05, 02:57 AM
KDK

It can be used with PMC - and this type of torch is best when adding PMC
Gold to pieces.

And you did find a great price - I got a similar set last year at a
kitchen place for either 14.99 or 19.99.

Kathy K
. giganews.com...

Old March 10th 05, 04:13 AM
Polly S.

KDK wrote:
It can be used with PMC - and this type of torch is best when adding PMC
Gold to pieces.

And you did find a great price - I got a similar set last year at a
kitchen place for either 14.99 or 19.99.

The shipping is almost $9.00 and there is a 10% discount... I was
wondering if the web sales can be found locally. Too late to call
tonight but I'll call tomorrow.

--
Polly
---
Old March 10th 05, 04:29 AM
Christina Peterson

Any idea how hot this gets? Or what kind of shipping charges? I see it has
special shipping needs. Could you (or someone near a target) walk into the
store and pay $10 for this?

Tina

. giganews.com...

Old March 10th 05, 05:08 AM
Christina Peterson

Oh cool. Thanks for that information too. Both of you.

Tina

"KDK" wrote in message
It can be used with PMC - and this type of torch is best when adding PMC
Gold to pieces.

And you did find a great price - I got a similar set last year at a
kitchen place for either 14.99 or 19.99.

Kathy K
. giganews.com...

Old March 10th 05, 01:04 PM
Peggy

the Beadshop torch is $90, compared to $10 and has no dessert recipes at
all.

No dessert recipes! Pooh!

Seriously, Kathy. Sounds like you found a deal on the torch, assuming that
price is available in the store. I have one that's similar and cost more.

Old March 10th 05, 06:39 PM
Kalera Stratton

Hey, that's pretty rad! Thanks Kathy!

http://www.beadwife.com
Old March 10th 05, 06:55 PM
Polly S.

Christina Peterson wrote:
Any idea how hot this gets? Or what kind of shipping charges? I see it has
special shipping needs. Could you (or someone near a target) walk into the
store and pay $10 for this?

From what I've read 2000F+ I think and the shipping was almost $9. I
called our local Target and they didn't carry it so I may bite the high
s&h charge bullet and get the one online!

--
Polly
---
Old March 11th 05, 02:28 PM
KDK

I checked one of my Targets yesterday and didn't find any.

Kathy K
"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
Any idea how hot this gets? Or what kind of shipping charges? I see it
has
special shipping needs. Could you (or someone near a target) walk into
the
store and pay $10 for this?

Tina

. giganews.com...

Old March 11th 05, 04:35 PM
Charlie

If you're in the UK you can buy "chef's torches" from Woolworth's or Tescos.
They're black with a red turny-thing on the top. This is the one that I use
for solder. It's a bit of a pain for hard solder, but ok for easy and very
easy.

Charlie.

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
. giganews.com...
[...]

meco midget vs little torch for silver fabrication CM Fox Jewelry 2 September 22nd 09 01:13 AM
Why did it melt? Charlie Jewelry 13 September 11th 04 04:15 AM
a problem with soldering... and a torch question. Des Bromilow Jewelry 1 September 4th 04 10:25 PM
I've heard about soldering pastes [email protected] Jewelry 3 August 29th 04 05:35 PM
torch for working (PLG or propane)? Des Bromilow Jewelry 7 February 24th 04 03:34 AM