Maytag MI7500 iron

Old August 21st 05, 09:19 PM
Maureen Wozniak

I agree, it's a great iron with lots of heat and steam, if you are willing to
accommodate its temperamental bits. Though I do not empty it after every
use. I seem to use it enough that it doesn't mind.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:33:44 -0500, Polly Esther wrote
(in article et):

Yes, Maureen, I understand. My Rowenta only leaks if it is clogged or
overfilled. I love the Heat and the Heft of the Rowenta so I'm willing to
accomodate her demands. Polly

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote
My Rowenta leaked when I first bought it. Then I read the instruction
booklet and I haven't had a problem since. Of course, I thought I knew
how
an iron worked, so I didn't even think to look at the instructions.

Maureen

Old August 21st 05, 10:23 PM
Ellen

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
lobal.net...
I agree, it's a great iron with lots of heat and steam, if you are willing

accommodate its temperamental bits. Though I do not empty it after every
use. I seem to use it enough that it doesn't mind.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:33:44 -0500, Polly Esther wrote
(in article et):

Yes, Maureen, I understand. My Rowenta only leaks if it is clogged or
overfilled. I love the Heat and the Heft of the Rowenta so I'm willing

accomodate her demands. Polly

I downloaded and read several of the instruction books from the Rowenta
website and went thru the cleaning procedure - actually a couple of times.
Then I put in water to not quite the halfway point and water leaked all over
the ironing board. It is leaking from the bottom as far as I can tell. It
appears that when it gets down to hardly any water at all that it steams and
doesn't leak. Unfortunately that is so little water that it only produces
steam for a couple of minutes.

So .... the iron is fine as long as I consider it to be a "not steam" iron.
I suspect this iron may be from just after the period when Rowentas all
leaked so badly and is either one of that batch or maybe the first of their
attempt to fix the problem.

Oh well ....

I do thank everyone for the instructions about cleaning etc.

Ellen

Old August 22nd 05, 02:24 PM
Polly Esther

Ellen, let's not give up yet. I just asked DH exactly how many times he has
to fill and flush the Rowenta. I don't exactly know how the care and feeding
of the iron got to be his job - he just does stuff like that for me.
Anyhow - he says - he flushes it out "a bunch of times" until it quits
sputtering rusty, muddy stuff. We have well water out here in the Swamp.
It's filtered many times but still causes the Rowenta a little grief.
So. Hie thee to the Rowenta and flush it a bunch of times. It just
might work. Never give up. Never. Unless, of course, you just have to.
Let's go. Polly

"Ellen" wrote I downloaded and read several of the instruction books from

Old August 22nd 05, 05:35 PM
Ellen

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
et...
Ellen, let's not give up yet. I just asked DH exactly how many times he

has
to fill and flush the Rowenta. I don't exactly know how the care and

feeding
of the iron got to be his job - he just does stuff like that for me.
Anyhow - he says - he flushes it out "a bunch of times" until it quits
sputtering rusty, muddy stuff. We have well water out here in the Swamp.
It's filtered many times but still causes the Rowenta a little grief.
So. Hie thee to the Rowenta and flush it a bunch of times. It just
might work. Never give up. Never. Unless, of course, you just have to.
Let's go. Polly

The flushing stopped any spluttering -- actually that was very minor but
there seems to be a definite leak. But I will flush it a couple of more
times when I go back to the hovel. That certainly can't hurt and it's less
annoying than vaccuming :-)

Ellen

Old August 22nd 05, 10:34 PM
Pauline

Speaking of potholders . . .I got a pattern about a year ago for the heart
shaped potholders that you can fit your hand in. I made a bunch for
everyone for Xmas & have had "special requests" to make up more for special
occasions (new home, new kitchen, etc.). Anyway - I love them so much
better than the regular square potholders that I don't buy potholders
anymore. They are easy & you can make them to match your decor. (Just in
case anyone needs to add a new project to their 'to do' list

Pauline

"nana2b" wrote in message
Hi Ellen, My Target Iron has a temperature dial. It is large and under

the
handle. The fill spout also has a door on it to prevent "spillage".

Hey, I need new potholders too, doesn't everyone? :-) Linda in Tx

Old August 22nd 05, 10:38 PM
Pauline

I have a little mini Euro-Shark that I bought to take to classes or sewing
days. I like it well enough, but would like it better if it got a little
hotter. I have a T-Fal iron that I think was recommended here a few years
ago (I've had 3 bad Rowentas), so I tried the T-Fal & I've been happy with
it. I can't remember how much I paid for it - maybe $60?? It gets really
hot & when it turns itself off, it only takes about 30 seconds to heat up
again.

Pauline
"Laurie G." wrote in message
t...
My cheap iron fried yesterday so I did go off to Target yesterday to find

replacement. I got a Black & Decker - SteamXpress. It's fairly heavy,

steel
soleplate, temp dial, etc. I like it. It heats fast and has great steam.

It
was also around $30.00.

One thing I'm not so crazy about (and it may subside with use) is that

when
I am done pressing and lift the iron up to a sitting position, I get a

great
burst of steam. I have to be careful where I am pointing it when this
happens. I almost peeled the cover off my new Harry Potter book sitting on

close bookshelf!!!!

I hate iron shopping but one thing I know - I will never "invest" in a
Rowenta again.

I may try a Shark on the next go-round though. Anyone have one of those?

--
* * * * * * *
Happy Quilting!

"Ellen" wrote in message

According to some article my DH read....Black and Decker is rated the

iron. Don't know which model it was though.

They used to make really good irons IIRC and then they went thru a

period
of
irons that were less than stellar. Maybe they have gotten their act
together. That would be good .... Thanks!

Ellen

Old August 23rd 05, 01:07 AM
nana2b

I received 2 of those in a potholder swap when I first got online. They are
great.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:22 AM
Polly Esther

Ellen, you have been such a good sport about the care and feeding of the
Rowenta. If a "bunch of flushing" doesn't work on yours, you are, by the
power vested in me, hereby authorized to throw the @#$! thing in the trash.
Clean out the leftovers in the refrigerator and pour them on top of it. You
could hurl it out the back door but hurling something with a cord that could
swing around and poke your eye out is kinda tricky. Takes practice. Polly