Question from a "metric" quilter

Old August 19th 05, 05:00 PM
Quilterin

Default Question from a "metric" quilter

I worked out how many inches of fabric I need (78) and I know (from
checking my two sided tape measure) that I need about 2 meters of
fabric. How many yards should I order?

If I order 2,5 yds. I should be on the safe side. I only know that a
yard is a little bit less than a meter - about 92 cm? My dictionary only
gives inch in cm, etc. but not how many inch in a foot, or how many inch
in a yard. And I finally want to KNOW stuff like that and not just
'guestimate'.

Please help!

Uschi
who's kitchen magnet board has the measures for a stick of butter - as
given on this list - proudly displayed!
Old August 19th 05, 05:14 PM
Joanna

A yard is 39 inches. A foot is 12 inches. When I buy fabric I always buy
to the next quarter meter. So you could go with 2.25 meters. But I tend
to use the half meter because I would always rather be safe than sorry.
Especially if it is some place I know I won't be able to return to shop
for a bit.
Joanna

--
Remove QUILT to reply

Old August 19th 05, 05:23 PM
Marlys in Indiana

12 inches in a foot and 36 inches in a yard.
I was trying to do the calculations to metric and I can't seem to clear
the brain fog. Hope this little bit helps.
Marlys in Indiana

Old August 19th 05, 05:24 PM
Quilterin

THANK YOU! As I will mailorder, I'll go with the 2,5 yds. And I'll save
your reply in my "Quilt-File" so I can check back, should I forget the
measures again!

Uschi
(so a yard is 3 feet and 3 inches?)

Old August 19th 05, 05:25 PM
Kate Dicey

Quilterin wrote:

I worked out how many inches of fabric I need (78) and I know (from
checking my two sided tape measure) that I need about 2 meters of
fabric. How many yards should I order?

If I order 2,5 yds. I should be on the safe side. I only know that a
yard is a little bit less than a meter - about 92 cm? My dictionary only
gives inch in cm, etc. but not how many inch in a foot, or how many inch
in a yard. And I finally want to KNOW stuff like that and not just
'guestimate'.

Please help!

Uschi
who's kitchen magnet board has the measures for a stick of butter - as
given on this list - proudly displayed!

There are 12" in a foot, and 3' or 36" in a yard. A metre is 39..37".
Here's a converter that might help you:
http://www.sciencemadesimple.net/length.php

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old August 19th 05, 05:27 PM
Quilterin

OK, that makes it clearer, Joanna must have had a typo. So it is 12
inches to the foot and 3 feet to the yard?

As I mostly mail order in the US I need the yard measurement. So I'll go
with the 2,5 yds and have enough to cover for any misscalculation I
might have done and a little something for my scraps :-)

Thank you,

Uschi

Old August 19th 05, 05:31 PM
Sandy Foster

In article , Quilterin
wrote:

I worked out how many inches of fabric I need (78) and I know (from
checking my two sided tape measure) that I need about 2 meters of
fabric. How many yards should I order?

If I order 2,5 yds. I should be on the safe side. I only know that a
yard is a little bit less than a meter - about 92 cm? My dictionary only
gives inch in cm, etc. but not how many inch in a foot, or how many inch
in a yard. And I finally want to KNOW stuff like that and not just
'guestimate'.

Please help!

Uschi
who's kitchen magnet board has the measures for a stick of butter - as
given on this list - proudly displayed!

A yard is *36"*, and I believe a meter is approximately 39". So two
meters would be just under 2.25 yards -- I'd go with 2.5 yards to be on
the safe side. You never know how much something will shrink, after all.
HTH.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old August 19th 05, 05:34 PM
Roberta Zollner

Yard = 36", meter = 39". So 2.5 yards is OK. But IMO just buy 3 yards -if
you don't use it, you have more stash. And if you do need it, (even the most
experienced quilters have brain fog days and cut out the wrong sizes) you'll
be really annoyed if you didn't buy more!
Roberta in D

Old August 19th 05, 05:39 PM
Marcella Peek

No, don't!

A yard is really 36 inches (or three feet), not 39.

Here's a page to help with conversions.

http://www.metric-conversions.org/le...-to-meters.htm

marcella