o/t late baby!

Old August 17th 05, 11:13 PM
Kellie J. Berger

did you try holding another little baby?
I tried all that except the above with the first 2 and they were each 8 days
late. Held a newborn near my due date with DD2 and she came 4 days early!

sending some good baby delivery vibes your way!
--
-- Kellie
kjbeanne at yahoo dot com

"Morag in Oxford" wrote in message
Hi ladies,
Apologies in advance if this turns into a moan, but this baby doesn't seem
in any hurry to be born. My due date was either yesterday (16th) or
Monday, depending if I go by the hospital date or my doctor's date. Baby
seems quite content to stay where he/she is, and kick into Mummy's ribs
and bladder a lot, no intentions of coming out, it seems.

I've tried all the old wives tales at least once - pineapple juice, hot
chilli food, sex (although perhaps they meant the biological one rather
than purchasing fabric), and sniffing various aromatherapy oils.

Morag

Old August 17th 05, 11:24 PM
nana2b

Hi Morag, Take a long walk. That's what worked for me with DD, she was 8
days late. My DM told me she took a dose of Mineral Oil and that got me
moving! Hope all goes well, Linda in Tx

Old August 17th 05, 11:27 PM
nana2b

Ooops! I meant Castor Oil! I just took the long walk.

Old August 18th 05, 12:16 AM
Debbi

Thought of another sure fire way to go into labor---- plan something so
important that it absolutely can't be changed. Make sure that baby knows
that you MUST make this appointment. Voila, kids always do things
exactly when you don't want them to!

Debbi in SO CA

Old August 18th 05, 12:48 AM
NightMist

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:05:00 +0000 (UTC), "Morag in Oxford"
wrote:

Hi ladies,
Apologies in advance if this turns into a moan, but this baby doesn't seem
in any hurry to be born. My due date was either yesterday (16th) or Monday,
depending if I go by the hospital date or my doctor's date. Baby seems
quite content to stay where he/she is, and kick into Mummy's ribs and
bladder a lot, no intentions of coming out, it seems.

I've tried all the old wives tales at least once - pineapple juice, hot
chilli food, sex (although perhaps they meant the biological one rather than
purchasing fabric), and sniffing various aromatherapy oils.

If a long walk doesn't do it, watch or plan to watch Clash of the
Titans. Both the first two came a day before we supposed to go see
that particular movie. The first was first run, the second was a
dollar matinee, so I expect planning to rent the video would work.
We didn't plan to watch Clash of the Titans with #3 and she had to be
induced.

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old August 18th 05, 01:14 AM
Roberta

Heather Michna wrote:
I've been reading all the suggestions, but my suggestion is to just have
patience. The babe will come when he/she is ready. Don't rush things. The
baby, and your body, usually know better than you(or your doctor) do when
it's time.

I tried castor oil three times, and all it did was give me the worst
abdominal cramps and diarreah of my life.

I have also been told (by the midwife) that it can cause complications
as it can have the same effect on the baby as it does you.....

Roberta (in VA)

Old August 18th 05, 02:29 AM
the black rose

Morag in Oxford wrote:
Hi ladies,
Apologies in advance if this turns into a moan, but this baby doesn't seem
in any hurry to be born. My due date was either yesterday (16th) or Monday,
depending if I go by the hospital date or my doctor's date. Baby seems
quite content to stay where he/she is, and kick into Mummy's ribs and
bladder a lot, no intentions of coming out, it seems.

I've tried all the old wives tales at least once - pineapple juice, hot
chilli food, sex (although perhaps they meant the biological one rather than
purchasing fabric), and sniffing various aromatherapy oils.

I had a friend who went horseback riding to go into labor, but her DH
was a doctor and he went with her.

I actually envy you your problem. My problem was staying pregnant -- 4
of my 5 pregnancies were spent on bed rest, and I still ended up with 2
preemies.

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old August 18th 05, 04:27 AM
Heather Michna

My OB told me it *could* possible cause the baby to poop in utero, but no
one knows for sure because there; never been any studies done on the effects
of Castor Oil on labor. Here's something I found about it.

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/childbirth/exah2.htm

Castor Oil to Encourage Labor?
by Alicia Huntley, CNM, MSN
Q. Is it safe to take castor oil to get labor started? How much should I
use?

A. Castor oil has a long history of being used by women and their providers
to encourage the onset of labor. It is thought to act in one of several
possible ways. By creating strong and spasmodic cramps of the intestines
(which lie around and above the uterus at the end of pregnancy) it might
cause a reflexive cramping and spasms of the uterine muscle, which might
then turn into labor. It might work by having a dehydrating effect, and
thereby causing uterine irritability from dehydration, and then labor
ensues. It might stimulate the release of prostaglandins from the
inflammation of the intestines. Or it may have no real connection to the
onset of labor at all, and be merely an unpleasant placebo, and the reported
effects simply coincidence, since most women who take it are at the end of
pregnancy anyhow and will eventually go into labor.

The effectiveness of castor oil to encourage the onset of labor is
questionable. It is generally considered safe, although there are some who
believe that it increases the risk of meconium passage in the infant. It has
not been well studied, which is surprising considering how long this old
remedy has been in use. It seems to be relatively safe, although there is
concern that if it does in fact work to induce labor, does it carry the
risks of other methods of induction? (These risks include fetal distress
from too strong contractions, increased risk of uterine rupture especially
in a scarred uterus, unintentional prematurity of the baby, increased pain
level for the mom, and a few other risks). Are the benefits such that the
risks are outweighed? I would suggest that any pregnant woman who is
considering trying to induce her own labor by this or any other method,
including herbs, be sure that her baby is ready to be born. Sometimes there
are reasons why labor does not start when we think it should, including a
baby that hasn't gotten into a good position to be born from. I also highly
recommend that the pregnant woman consult with her prenatal and birth care
provider (midwife or doctor) in advance of trying this.

Castor oil has a very unpleasant taste and texture. There are many recipes
for disguising this. There is also a commercially prepared emulsified form
with a peppermint taste. The recommended dosage for encouraging labor ranges
from 1 TBS to 4 OZ, depending on who you talk to about it. Some use a single
dose, others repeat the doses. Methods of disguising the taste include
mixing it with root beer and ice cream, sucking on an ice cube first, making
a slurpy with juice, crushed ice and the castor oil in a blender, adding
baking soda, adding vodka, and combinations of all the above. I am not going
to give specific recipes or proportions, because I really think that you
should talk to your midwife or doctor first, and follow their advice.

If you take castor oil, expect to develop severe diarrhea and cramps when it
kicks in. Uterine contractions often follow, and occasionally develop into
labor. Hopefully the last of the castor oil will be expelled before the time
comes to push out the baby, and the diarrhea won't have made you too sore
for comfortable pushing. Bedtime is a common time when people take this, but
then you might end up in the bathroom all night, and be tired if labor
starts in the daytime. One person I know suggests setting your alarm for 4
in the morning, taking the dose, and then going back to sleep until the
cramps start.

Personally, I would have to be pretty desperate to take castor oil. If one
of my pregnant ladies really wants to take it, and she is more than 39 weeks
pregnant, I will give her the recipe. I have not seen it be very successful.
Most of those for whom it works are already 2 - 3 cm dilated and have been
having contractions (but not labor) for weeks.

Old August 18th 05, 04:40 AM
Pat in Virginia

There used to be a commercial (for Margarine?) ....
Crash Boom ... Thunder and Lightening and an imposing woman says:

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature!"

I agree. PAT in VA/USA

Heather Michna wrote:

My OB told me it *could* possible cause the baby to poop in utero, but no
one knows for sure because there; never been any studies done on the effects
of Castor Oil on labor. Here's something I found about it.

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/childbirth/exah2.htm

Castor Oil to Encourage Labor?
by Alicia Huntley, CNM, MSN
Q. Is it safe to take castor oil to get labor started? How much should I
use?

A. Castor oil has a long history of being used by women and their providers
to encourage the onset of labor. ...cut...

ebay: Oh baby! - lots of baby layettes& afghans & adult afghan patterns and more! marilyn safier Marketplace 0 July 17th 04 11:54 PM
ideas for sofia's baby quilt? Dr. Quilter Quilting 6 December 13th 03 06:07 PM
OT Story - DD's birthday Kandice Seeber Beads 0 December 12th 03 02:52 AM
Baby Quilts [email protected] Quilting 5 November 19th 03 02:22 PM
ISO free baby pattern Shawna23 Needlework 4 November 7th 03 06:45 PM