Where my needlecraft has taken me : )

Old May 13th 04, 01:16 PM
Shannon West

Default Where my needlecraft has taken me : )

Several years ago there was a topic "Projects from Hell" or some such. I
read all the wonderful replies and gave my own little adventure trying to
stitch TW's Fantasy Sampler. Basically I threw it in the corner, I think
it's still there, and started knitting. I really got into it. I also
discovered that the yarns available then weren't exactly what I wanted. I
loved working with all the colors, sometimes difficult in yarn because of
the limited spectrum (30 colors in a given yarn versus 400 or so in DMC).
That's when I decided to start spinning my own. Beautiful, luscious fibers!
I can dye them any color I want. I can make them any thickness (I'm still
working on that) or texture (lumpy, bumpy, wonderful). Wool, cashmere,
angora, mohair, silk. Wait a minute! Silk!?! Do you know what I can
stitch with silk??? I'm in heaven! I can try needlepoint, crewel, surface
embroideries, what ever or where ever my little head, and hands, take me.

So, this has all led to the question: Where has needlecraft taken you?

I'll go first : )

Besides the spinning, I'm now the proud owner of a floor loom. I'm learning
to weave. Awesome! I have enough stash to last me until... I've spun some
silk but haven't gotten to the actual stitching part yet. I just picked up
another hobby, rug punching. It's a beautiful Chinese Imperial Dragon. As
I told the teenager, NO, it will not be walked on. I'm also dallying in rug
hooking. Using wool fabric. That I buy. I'm not spending all that time
and effort weaving beautiful cloth and then cutting it into 1/4" strips.
Can you hear the husband's teeth grinding?? I'm still cross stitching. I
picked up Emie Bishop's Garden Sampler (I think that's the name of it) and
another chart of a mermaid and one done all in Watercolors....

So, anybody want to add their hobbies to the list? I would love to say that
it (the PFH) led to alpacas but the husband's head would explode. Maybe
next year!!!

Shannon

Old May 13th 04, 08:15 PM
Kim

For some reason, my hobby has led to beading! I went from enjoying doing
beads with cross stitch projects to beading bracelets. (those Mill Hill
Treasured Lace Bracelet kits - I LOVE those!). I did substitute Velcro for
the silver clasp closure they give you though, because I wanted a tighter
fit. I added some more beads around the Velcro area and you can't tell where
the bracelet fastens at all. Very pretty
Kim

--
Check out my current ebay offering!
Deep Sea counted Cross Stitch kit by Dimensions

"Shannon West" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

NEEDLECRAFT BOOKS bspgallery Needlework 0 March 24th 04 04:17 AM
NEEDLECRAFT BOOKS Robert Hansen Needlework 0 February 19th 04 03:10 AM
BOOKS ON NEEDLECRAFT Robert Hansen Needlework 0 February 11th 04 03:13 AM
"Needlecraft Magic" Hexe Needlework 0 October 21st 03 04:56 PM
Needlecraft store, where are you? aeromom Needlework 27 September 14th 03 08:18 PM